Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Another from Marcus 37

manual point lever.

Now i get that this is to swop from one track to another via the point (not a complete numpty me  :jester: )but I still have a question of two,

are these manual levers left overs from an older time.....or are there cases when manual levels are still built. Say for back up purposes. Or do they now have some smart kit that can jump start a point that is not working? One assumes redundancy costs money. But break downs occur. So is there some special equipment they use in an emergency?

Not sure about the UK, but yes, here in Oz, 12":1ft turnout motors have the facility to insert a handle and manually crank the blades over, if there is a power loss or a fault. 

Stole the idea of Gresley and his A4 smokebox shroud, I'm sure... :jester:

• Like 1

med_gallery_17883_3149_579781.jpgrmweb1529kngightwing1

med_gallery_17883_3149_428463.jpgrmweb1530knightwing2

I want to paint these and am having some problems finding pictures that i recognise. I don't know the era they are from either. If anyone can shed some light I would be really grateful.

Grey for line side kit.

The phones would have a symbol on the door http://www.samhallas.co.uk/railway/signs.htm

Hi Jaz

Sorry, been away from the parish again. Those small boxes you can put anywhere near the toe of the point. When out and about on my travels there's no real fixed point for those boxes just as long as they are near to the point. There is just an electrical connection to the track for the trace heating. There used to be other types of point heaters which worked off Calor gas but these seem fairly extinct now. These were recognise alb as they used to have a cage containing the gas bottles next to the track. As for the colour of these boxes they are normally grey, although I have seen yellow ones next to newer HPSS points.

Hope this of some help

Cheers

Marcus

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/31694-img-3244/

Yep only I could trip over a point heater box in the Snow. Doh!!!

Depending on whether some of your layout is modern or not, which I believe it's going to be then a couple of suggestions.

GSMR radio masts are popping up every where. They normally have a small portacabin type building at the bottom of them.

Also Solar powered flange greasers are something else that's getting more popular. These are a small grey box with a solar panel on the top of them.

I'll see what I can do regards pictures for you.

Oh also TPWS grids. There's loads of these approaching colour light signals.

There are two in advance of the signal which are the over speed and trigger grids. Then adjacent to the signal is the train stop grid.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Marcus

There is a thread on here somewhere about GSMR

med_gallery_17883_3149_428463.jpgrmweb1530knightwing2

painting commenced I tried silver poles for the telephones and silver with black cables as a first coat for the heaters

med_gallery_17883_3149_106358.jpgrmweb155knightwing1

then decided to go all yellow

med_gallery_17883_3149_104053.jpgrmweb1556knightwing2

med_gallery_17883_3149_359294.jpgrmweb1557knightwing3

Usually only crossing phones are yellow, trackside phones tend to be grey.

Catching up!

either will do, I like flowers and books  :sungum:

S7T cabinets on the layout

med_gallery_17883_2760_39357.jpgrmweb1635kalborodetail1

the new one is on the left, a plastic one is on the right

unpainted

med_gallery_17883_2760_46727.jpgrmweb1636kalborofetail2

painted

med_gallery_17883_2760_559911.jpgrmweb1638kalborodetail4

Don't forget to leave room to open doors with trains running!

Don't moorhens have a red face and coots a white face?

Your absolutely right, I have no idea for how many years I have had that the wrong way round. Well spotted, and thanks for the correction.. :sungum:

I am obviously a silly old coot   :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Usually only crossing phones are yellow, trackside phones tend to be grey.

Catching up!

Ok so by the crossing I can keep the yellow ones  :sungum: (they show up great in pictures) on the others back to grey BUT I can add the black and white diagonal strips for some definition. At least for the modern day ones. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer so many at once. I realise it takes a lot of time. And I am really grateful. Because I would like to get our layout to be more realistic. 

And knowing you work on the railways, means I am not worrying about cross referencing that your information is pertinent. BONUS. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Don't forget to leave room to open doors with trains running!

Now that is a point that escaped me!!! And I assume the workers need to stand safely in front too. I think a bit of modelling for an open cabinet will be required. Even if people beat me to it.  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

med_gallery_17883_3149_359294.jpg

:O .......This Ship rolled,.............. Deck Crew, Bedecked in Sou'wester's, Oilskin's and yellow Slingback Wellie's...........

Having a Whale of a time, aboard a Whaler..............Where, is the Harpoon...........?

msg-18515-0-99875200-1399234851.jpgcourtesy of Markus37

Under track ducting

I get the orange ducting, easy to see, provides some protection...what I don't get is which whys are protected and why, and why not all???

Got this far on my catch up.

All cable should be protected or at least marked so it does not hit by tampers.

These days the prefered option is a hollow bearer (hollow sleeper) but that needs planning to get them in the correct places.

Cables that do not go through a bearer or pipe should be clipped to the sleeper, hard to drill into a concreet sleeper.

prefered option is a hollow bearer (hollow sleeper) but that needs planning to get them in the correct places.

................................................................................................................................................    :swoon:

Yes your quite right, that is the back of a GPLS.

Now I thought we might have a little quiz. Does anybody know what this is. I am sure New Bryford (Mick) will know.

The clue is they are normally found on sharp curves and they are actually quite common.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Answers on a post card please.

Cheers

Marcus

flange lubricator is my guess.

sure it will have been answered on the next page though.

• Like 3

Another from Marcus 37

msg-18515-0-11257500-1399235209.jpg

manual point lever.

Now i get that this is to swop from one track to another via the point (not a complete numpty me  :jester: )but I still have a question of two,

are these manual levers left overs from an older time.....or are there cases when manual levels are still built. Say for back up purposes. Or do they now have some smart kit that can jump start a point that is not working? One assumes redundancy costs money. But break downs occur. So is there some special equipment they use in an emergency?

usually in yards away from a signal box where the driver/shunter will operate the points.

power operated points can be hand cranked if the motor fails.

• Like 1

Well despite the fact that there does not appear to be a whole lot happening. There has been a lot of reconstruction of the track. It will only get ripped out again. So as such it does not have much value for the thread. But it will allow the locus and trains to go round the whole layout. 

msg-18515-0-94847200-1399235236.jpgpicture courtesy of Marcus37

signal telephone.

This one is covered by essuk1 already but these are the diagonal lines 

• Like 2

this one ...someone needs to explain to me. I low what axles are, and I suppose it can work out how long a train passed, and know if the wagon was lost along the way???

msg-18515-0-00745500-1399235262.jpgcourtesy of Marcus37

axle counter receivers

explanations on a BIG postcard pls  :jester: 

• Like 2

Well despite the fact that there does not appear to be a whole lot happening. There has been a lot of reconstruction of the track. It will only get ripped out again. So as such it does not have much value for the thread. But it will allow the locus and trains to go round the whole layout.

msg-18515-0-94847200-1399235236.jpgpicture courtesy of Marcus37

signal telephone.

This one is covered by essuk1 already but these are the diagonal lines 

:O ............ :O You expecting,..............a plague............!!!

.................................... :drag:

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

I hope people don't mind me asking what to a lot of people seems obvious questions.

Kal said I might p some people off for not bothering to research it for myself. But having no basis, a lot of it is hard for me to place. So I am cheeky and use on line friends who understand not only what it is, but have endlessly explained it before to push the information at me in a way i can cope with it. So far everything link i have checked , every note i have read has helped turn on minuscule LED light on in my head, and occasionally I even see where stuff is linked. So I want to thank those who have shown the patience to help me out. And maybe it has helped others who think asking some of the stupid questions that I have asked would have them shot. :jester:

Kal said previously...he could have answered that....he could a lot of the time...but he often wants to put it in context and explain a lot of related items....my mind then explodes into melt down. This byte size gives me an easy ref on my own thread. And links to comprehensive sites which i can look at several times, as more little LEDs turn on. 

Considering year before last..... a train was a loco, a livery was a colour, the big four and ERAs were peripheral, steam or not steam???? DMU...whats that is it a big bird??? :sarcastichand:

Anyway....thanks to all those who have answered my sometimes tedious questions. It is why when I was asked to explain what I do I put in ALL the things I think someone might what to ask. People can confirm I knew that...I knew that....I KNEW That!!...oooh but that is new. I might try that.

• Like 1

I just recently added the detailing in Scripps garage, and I was up stairs the other day, when the light was flowing through the window on the other side, and gave the impression of a light on in the building but light also flowing through. I quickly went and got my iPad to capture these.

med_gallery_17883_3001_242600.jpgmweb1790heartbeat4

the window panes are beautifully picked out on the floor of the garage, and the light comes through onto the window on this side, the shadows, the figures in the distance, all come to gather to give a nice little snap shot

then i realised the light was on the cars as well, and even though i have not bothered to touch up the skyline , there's real light captured enhancing the modelling

med_gallery_17883_3001_19472.jpgmweb1791heartbeat5

and I took a third in case once I looked at to the pictures were not as good as I thought, but they still work

med_gallery_17883_3001_219115.jpgrmweb1792heartbeat6

a couple of minters later the sun had moved this effect was gone and with it that little moment of magic...which thankfully now is captured for prosperity...for me at least... :sungum:

• Like 7

Now starting to see the woods from the trees. It seems a long time ago that we decided to alter the old loft to enable the extension to AV. Finally it is far enough along that the copious amounts of boxes that were evacuated from the loft to allow the new floor and plumbing to be fitted have now returned home and made the rest of the house look a little less like Arthur Daley's lock up. Still a few bits of insulation, plasterboard and electrics to do, and need to arrange for some velux and a vent for the aircon, but those things can happen around the new occupants.

Next week we can start on building some new tables, but it will be a little bit of trial and error to work out the optimum heights for the two levels, one for the fiddle yard and one for the new scenic areas.

Current thinking is have the scenics below and the fiddle yard above, allowing us to sit at almost floor level while allowing a 15 inch backdrop which we could not get in the new loft due to the pitch of the roof.

Lesson learnt this time is that if you want two levels you need at least twelve inches clearance for when things go pear shaped.

So myself and Sancho Panza are off to slay our dragons

Edited by Kal
  • Like 3