Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Gold

logging off bad storm here....lightening shaking house

Hope all is ok.  We have had a massive hail stone thunderstorm earlier.  All is peaceful at the moment though.

the rain was heavy not excessive, the house got rattled somewhat.

The two big dobermanns were glued to my ankles.....whining pitifully, amazingly no lightening nearby, but some reasonable thunder clearly coming from some distance. But the house shook a good few times, and as a precaution all electricity products were turned off. 

All calm for a while now.

• Like 1

Minidriver Mini Me Part 2

Mini me also loves Harry Potter

And it occurs to her that maybe just maybe, she can use the Hogwarts Express

so she hotfoots it down to Goathland station.......but it goes no where near mindrivers home.....

med_gallery_17883_2878_532565.jpgrmweb1844minime7

she did stay to admire the loco before it pulled out

med_gallery_17883_2878_296685.jpgrmweb1843minime6

• Like 4

Minidriver Mini Me Part 3

After she checked out the Hogwarts Express, she had a brain storm and considers that it was common knowledge that there was a magic dragon on AV.

So following the rumours she went to investigate and found a beautiful blood tinted Dragon

med_gallery_17883_3001_824111.jpgrmweb1838minime1

Being magical she was able to ask the dragon directly if he would carry he to Minidrivers house. The dragon considered this, and said he would consider the idea,

but when she asked if he could take Harvey too, he apologised and said he could not carry more than one, and if he did a second trip...he might get peckish and accidentally eat the canine.

So Mini Me thanked him for his time, but said she would need to find another way.

med_gallery_17883_3001_68345.jpgrmweb1839minime2

The blood tinted dragon agreed this was probably for the best and readied himself to carry one of the magical characters from the Harry Potter film.

med_gallery_17883_3001_556047.jpgrmweb1840minime3

Mini Me sighed sadly......riding a dragon would have been awesome

med_gallery_17883_3001_619922.jpgrmweb1841minime4

It would have been much more fun than travelling on the Hogwarts Express.

A despondent Mini Me left the blood tinged dragon and walked up to Heartbeat where she sadly watched the funeral

med_gallery_17883_2757_119051.jpgrmweb1842minime5

Then she heard the camera crew taking, and she had a flash of inspiration......

.........to be cont'd

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

You never know what you will see next on AV. The dragon reminds me of the song Puff the Magic Dragon. It is these stories based on characters that make AV so unique and entertaining to follow.

• Like 3

Well at the moment I am making a tree, but am trying a new technique, so will put it all up when i get a presentable product. There is at least two ways that I intend to improve the build in the future on this new style. But the I am finally getting a pleasing result. Kal just commented that it was nice, so I think I can say I am getting somewhere.

I love the Puff the Magic Dragon song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0FyhTBvLu4w

• Like 1

Q. Will they come up with a new Loco for her next book   .....    :locomotive:

Harry Potter meets his hardest challenge yet - The Rail Replacement Knightbus Service...

"Harry waved his wand.  'Beechingaxevanesco!' he cried.

And suddenly all the railways in the land disappeared..."

Edited by C&WR

• RMweb Gold

Harry Potter meets his hardest challenge yet - The Rail Replacement Knightbus Service...

"Harry waved his wand.  'Beechingaxevanesco!' he cried.

And suddenly all the railways in the land disappeared..."

C&WR

I am not replying to this post but to the one about lack of space but that is ages ago and I am not sure I could easily find it.

No space, no money plus downsizing sounds fairly serious so I will make any suggestions carefully.  About 20 or so years ago we were in the same position regarding space.  There was no room for me to have a layout but I was fortunate, I have 3 sons.  We therefore had a railway which we could put up and take down for them.  Not by any means real modelling, but something.

My eldest son and I begun to build a 009 railway, (his choice), in his bedroom which if it had continued would have given some scope for modelling proper.  (It is this one who is behind me building Traeth Mawr as he wants me to have a mobile layout so that his children can play with it in their home.)  Alongside this I began to paint figures and build stock from kits.  Once my wife suggested we reorganise his room and the layout was shelved I stopped as well which is why I have some 009 stuff which I started around then and have not finished.

I am not sure how this would work out for you but it may be worth a thought, even if it is only kit building or scratch building stock or buildings.

All the best.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your thoughts, Chris!  It is not all doom and gloom.  

The reason for the lack of money is that we have bought a house so finally The Long Haired and Small Controllers and I can live together in our own place, and while we were lucky in having most of the bits and pieces to set up home there was still some other expenditure.  The money that is lacking is mainly for the renovations that would be needed for a decent trains/hobby room - the room we have which would be perfect for the purpose is needed for TLHC to run her childminding business and that is the reason for the lack of space.  Other rooms & loft are not suitable at all.

Sadly this business hasn't started yet despite having a list of possible children to care for as the registration process (which should have taken a maximum of twelve weeks) has dragged on since last September thanks to incompetence on the part of two particular agencies.  We intend to lodge a complaint!

I am actually keeping pretty busy having got back into military modelling at the moment as a slight divergence from railways.  Another good thing about not starting a new layout yet is that I am being forced to think about how to finish off the last couple of bits of Wallington-Super-Mare and I have a little stash of bits to help this!  I will eventually have another bash at the hand-scribed brickwork which will be easier when I can do it in lovely sunlit evenings!

At the risk of coming over all Pollyanna-ish if the worst problem is that I have to wait a while to get a railway in the new place then I'm pretty privileged.  I just remain grateful that my parents remain hale & hearty and in their own home where we are always welcome and where Wallington waits for me to come and visit :)

Edit to add:

Sorry for thread hijack, but if anyone is interested my other models are to be found on this website where my username is the same.  It has actually been quite interesting cross-fertilising techniques between railways and military, and between scales!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

C&WR. How about a folding stop gap layout 1'x7' with a military theme, easy to exhibit too. I have plans if your interested.

When I lived in Brighton my ex ran a child minding business from home so all there was room for was a shelf layout which lived on top of a wardrobe. Had I put more effort into it, then we could have taken it to Belgium when we moved over there. 

Come on Jaz where's this tree?

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:06

One day, Kal, I may just cast my shadow on your doorstep.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:57

logging off bad storm here....lightening shaking house

I take it,...........that JukeBox,............has arrived then................ :O  :O

Edited by David Todd

I take it,...........that JukeBox,............has arrived then................ :O  :O

Or some old bloke with bad teeth sending a group of English knights on a search for a grail....

C&WR. How about a folding stop gap layout 1'x7' with a military theme, easy to exhibit too. I have plans if your interested.

When I lived in Brighton my ex ran a child minding business from home so all there was room for was a shelf layout which lived on top of a wardrobe. Had I put more effort into it, then we could have taken it to Belgium when we moved over there. 

Come on Jaz where's this tree?

I have had to do a lot of paperwork for my dad.....no his health is fine.....however I am no coming up for air.

I am still working on the tree, the main shape is not so special it is how I am working on the copper wire that is changing.

The this tree at one point or another has had a couple of techniques tried out, but not a cross the whole tree....so the results might not be too obvious .....

but  I can throw up some pictures.....however I have to say it actually looks better in real life for some reason 

• RMweb Gold

A grouse walked into a pub and asked for half of bitter.

The barman looked at him and said, "I have a drink named after you."

The grouse looked at him and said,

"What? Eric?"

It's ok I'm out shopping in a mo.

Sasquatch's idea is what I am likely to build when I get a chance.  It may not be military-themed, though.  Strangely enough despite joining the Army I really love the sea*, so it will have a dock as part of it.  There are some cross-members in the internal garage (the bit which will be converted into a hobby room when funds allow, half is already converted to a room which will be used for TLHC's charges to nap) where a plankl can be stored...

*Here I am engaged in one of my more wild & wooly hobbies from when I was still a single man:

HMSTC%2520Discoverer.jpg

• Like 3

As you can see, this tree is nothing special, it is more about how i am choosing to make the finishes.

Copper wire and the tree bark which makes it a bit lumpy....

med_gallery_17883_2992_358603.jpgrmweb1849tree1

not much different to how I have built other small ones

However earlier, when I had not been photographing it...oops...I tried sprinkling sawdust on PVA

this is it painted under artificial light

med_gallery_17883_2992_162818.jpgrmweb1850tree2

you might not tell it from here, but the colour is quite interesting, and I widened the base a little

some more branches, some more base thickening, so the latex is showing

med_gallery_17883_2992_168073.jpgrmweb1851tree3

still nothing new or particularly of note

I tried rounding the branches as I went with paint, and although there was a result it was too small to be of much use

med_gallery_17883_2992_314986.jpgrmweb1853tree4

the ideas might be interesting, and the PVA and sawdust has some merit, but I think I should have added more thinking with say DAS like I did for the big tree, then used the sawdust for texture.

As I said I am afraid this is just me messing about and is probably really boring.

• Like 2

There really is not enough branches so I have put branched on the branches

med_gallery_17883_2992_323980.jpgrmweb1853tree5

photos taken under artificial light do not show how nice this looks in natural light

med_gallery_17883_2992_459642.jpgrmweb1854tree6

But even with artificial light, you can see the extra branches are making the silhouette look better, and to save poor pictures I just took one of when I repainted it.

med_gallery_17883_2992_427510.jpgrmweb1855tree7

The only thing that worries me, if the tree looks good in real life but I can't get the photos to reflect that, I may have to give up and do a better colour, for the forum pictures.

some fluff copydexed and needing to dry clear

med_gallery_17883_2992_403732.jpgrmweb1856tree8

this is when Kal saw it and said it was looking nice, which it was...

med_gallery_17883_2992_275767.jpgrmweb1857trees9

But I am very unhappy about the photos.

• Like 1

I put it on the layout, again the tree looked lovely, the picture rubbish

med_gallery_17883_2992_43418.jpgrmweb1858tree10

I don't think the colours work well enough to be photographed, I am giving up the ghost and adding the green to the canopy

And to top it all where I have placed it I cannot fit the tree into a half decent picture. Still here is the tree. I am happy with a couple of the techniques, and plan another three to use them and hopefully get a more photogenic tree. Meantime a generic , not too large, tree.

med_gallery_17883_2992_140939.jpgrmweb1860tree12

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great job on the tree, nice to see you branching out  with the technique.......Like the video too...

Squatch .  Hat, too hot for a coat though and out the door. (Far too much to do around here!)

Whilst everything seems rather slow on the thread....there is a lot going on in the back ground....especially in the old loft........where Kal is beginning to get on a roll. 

After much debate on

1 layer or two?...........TWO

2. one scenic and one fiddle yard who gets the top lever????? Pobably the scenic, after a long list of pros and cons

3. getting the 1:50-1:90 has proved challenging.....the roof ties seriously interfere with a clear run. One layer must go under the other over. But we have another piece of wood in the way.

4. We need clearance height for a loco, a steam loco, a loco with overhead clearance

5. After much going and fro-ing......we have reach a probable conclusion. 

Getting the height from the old loft wall to the tie bar with only 173inches not possible. We have to go back 10 feet, 3ft4inches of the stairwell and 6ft8in of a table, then we can achieve a 1:58 rise.

6. As the tables in the new loft are already sorted cutting the legs shorter (Oh Yes Kal was all for that :scared: ) wold be difficult, but after a load of drawings,and math, we can go UP from the new loft without much major disruption as ply the two back tracks are effected and that part has already been cut free from the main table, and so is achievable without major dismantling.

7. The fall below the tie is a bit more contentious along the way we have to get under another wood bar. We believe we have finally resolved this.

8. Kal had got in two 8x4s 2440x1220 pre cut to 1x8 and 3x8 300x2440 and 920x2440. With some 2x2 wood he has started the build.

So allow a gap for a really useful 84L to be stored. 

Allow for some wire and some tortoises to power the points for a lower level

Allow for some 9mm and the first worktop....probably the fiddle yard.

Allow for enough height to allow you to bend into the gap and fix and repair and maintain a layout / fiddleyard

Allow for lighting and wiring and tortoises to power the points for the upper level

Allow for some 9mm and the second worktop....probably the scenic area. This will be about 3 foot deep 900mm and have a 1 foot 200mm up stand for low relief and backboards and backscene

Allow for an embankment to cross the top of the tie bar....which we need to avoid cutting into incase the roof collapses  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

And before you fall asleep trying to interpret all this a picture or two.....

med_gallery_17883_3178_33978.jpgrmweb1860oldloft1

notice 

the upstand

the layout sheet

the thin sheet for the embankment, which goes over the roof tie

the height of the really useful box and some sheets of 50mm representing 2in for the tortoise the supporting wood a little clearance

....we had wood on their to check we can reach inside.

med_gallery_17883_3178_75824.jpgrmweb1861oldloft2

We have gone back to 2in legs, rather than 3in. Because we have added

a LOT of weight in this loft.

The original joists were double, and laddered for strength. 4x2s 100x50mm at 15in centres 375mm

Then all the floor boards, 

Plus these tables, and the really useful storage boxes,

Plus the insulation and the Plasterboard that will cover it up.

The weight is spread out and goes over internal walls. 

But all in all there is a lot of additional weight.

I have taken pictures of our ceilings to ensure if we have any weak points we can notice them!!!!

But as we have spread it carefully, and screwed the various bits together, the overall spread should be ok. 

Still better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4