Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

We plan to have at least one station from each of the big four. Playing all the angles. :sungum:

Scripps garage has a new mechanic, he came to work on the motorbikes......but he saw this Classix car and could not resist testing out the bonnet

med_gallery_17883_2878_218791.jpgrmweb1827goathland6

the white bit under the arch is a piece of folded tissue to stop it shutting and snapping his arm off!!!

seriously though the bonnet has to be opened and shut quite carefully..

med_gallery_17883_2878_371405.jpgrmweb1828goathland7

and blacked out the tissue......which was such a give away...

rmweb1829goathland8

apparently his curiosity is appeased and he is off back to his bikes.

med_gallery_17883_2878_208043.jpgrmweb1830goathland9

• Like 12

:O ...You noticed................ :O

:secret:  :secret:  :secret:

Whilst it is true I can chat for Britain, I do prefer to know someone is paying attention.......even if they are only listening with half an ear.... :jester:

Otherwise I may as well just get on with modelling...... :butcher:

Well, I had the absolute privilege this weekend of meeting Kal and Jaz and seeing AV in the flesh. It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend with Kal and Jaz being the perfect hosts. We also had the pleasure of meeting their son, Yanoch who got on with Anthony like a house on fire.

I have to say that Jaz's cooking was just as good as her modelling and she kept us well fed all weekend.

As for AV the pictures on here don't really do it justice. Spent ages just looking at all the different cameos, especially the wonderful figures that Jaz has created. The little West Highland terrier really is a superb piece of modelling considering how small it actually is in reality.

As the weather was so nice we didn't spend as much time as we anticipated on the layout and made the most of the sunshine by going out for a couple of walks.

It has been nice to finally meet up after all the chatting via the forum and I'm sure it will be the start of a long friendship. Thanks again both for a wonderful weekend. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cheers

Marcus, Diane & Anthony.

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 3

that loco drives people crazy......it is not a Castle in the film....it is a Hall......Hornby obviously used a design they had.

Did Halls run that route? sorry my knowledge of steam locos is rudimentary to say the least....though I know a little about A4s

Really been enjoying the photographs Jaz - (remain amazed by the sheer amount of work you and Kal have done over time to build all of that). 

I guess I am just a railway nerd but it always amazes me that the TV/film people clearly put a lot of research into many aspects of a production and then do things like using the wrong locomotives and liveries. We were watching Endeavour (young Morse) a few weeks ago (yes televisions have made it to New Zealand) and although set in Oxford it was clearly filmed on the Bluebell Railway with Southern stock..

• Like 1

There have been quite a few discussions about the choice of Loco for H Potting Shed & Co.

None of the Film or Hornby solutions are anything like the book cover pictures. Someone asked JK Rowling about it and she referred to a Loco she had seen at the Station - but had been mistaken about the correct Station too. [ie, even she apparently got the wrong train.] She liked the colour apparently  ...  ??

Given the background, Hornby researchers probably came up with a reasonably logical conclusion that a Castle might be the appropriate solution for Hogwart's Express  .....    :scratchhead:

Q. Will they come up with a new Loco for her next book   .....    :locomotive:

• Like 1

Well, I had the absolute privilege this weekend of meeting Kal and Jaz and seeing AV in the flesh. It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend with Kal and Jaz being the perfect hosts. We also had the pleasure of meeting their son, Yanoch who got on with Anthony like a house on fire.

I have to say that Jaz's cooking was just as good as her modelling and she kept us well fed all weekend.

As for AV the pictures on here don't really do it justice. Spent ages just looking at all the different cameos, especially the wonderful figures that Jaz has created. The little West Highland terrier really is a superb piece of modelling considering how small it actually is in reality.

As the weather was so nice we didn't spend as much time as we anticipated on the layout and made the most of the sunshine by going out for a couple of walks.

It has been nice to finally meet up after all the chatting via the forum and I'm sure it will be the start of a long friendship. Thanks again both for a wonderful weekend. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cheers

Marcus, Diane & Anthony.

Well on the other side of the coin. Marcus was helpful and informative regards the layout, and has assured us that now seeing it in real life should be able to be questioned to within an inch of his life on advice.... :jester:  His wife Diane (who was also a loco driver in days gone by) was a really nice person, who would not take a no to cleaning the pots and pans....she can come again anytime  :sungum: And her son although younger than ours was happily trotted off to play on the Xbox....where they played several games and enjoyed Guitar Hero. We stayed up far too late, and when I got up in the morning to go to the loo Anthony who was already awake enthusiastically learnt to play boggle, and managed to find ecoli. He pointed out if one letter had been changed he could have managed a 7 letter word...twice!!!! His quick grasp and enthusiasm and very polite manners were a credit to his parents. The weather was wonderful, and we rather took advantage of it. But some essential points about signals etc should have a effect on the layout before long.

Which means we shall be perusing doughnuts thread as he has done some gantries, and it has been pointed out that we need several.

Kal says as our layout is set in the era of tomorrow....he is considering ERTMS......for his signalling throughout the layout :jester:  :jester:  :jester: Even the heritage line might be forced into this using it.

• Like 3

Mini Me Minidriver............Part 1

As you all probably know I recoloured a Hornby figure of a little girl, in order to model mini driver, the daughter of Jcredfer. 

Some may remember mini driver and her dog Harvey were watching the clowns

med_gallery_17883_3112_239340.jpgrmweb1454sspaniel21

minidriver's mini me has been holidaying at Arboretum Valley, and though she likes it here she knows she is only a figure and she wants to go see the real mini driver, so she has been talking to various characters in AV to see if they can help her.

She asked the circus people but they explained they were going in another direction. 

med_gallery_17883_2806_207070.jpgrmweb1633portlynncove10

whilst getting an ice cream she asked if the driver went any where else, he said he does but only locally.

when she saw a different ice cream van she asked him, and he does go further even to the coast but not in the right direction.

med_gallery_17883_2806_52189.jpgrmweb1786portlynncove1

now mini me is not stupid, and she thought there is still plenty of people to try

she asked the Jcredfer mini me car driver could he take her home

and he was very sad because could not go there. He can only drive in AV.

med_gallery_17883_2804_103600.jpgrmweb1743kalbrounion4

He said it would take something really special, and a very sad mini driver mini me, went off to go play with her friend and try to forget her dream of seeing the real mini driver.

to be cont'd.........................

• Like 6

meantime I am taking a good hard look at the water features, 

Between Heartbeat and Hogsmeade.

This helps provide a definite break as you walk along the layout. 

med_gallery_17883_3225_114618.jpgrmweb1832waterfeature1

• Like 4

Whilst it is true I can chat for Britain, I do prefer to know someone is paying attention.......even if they are only listening with half an ear.... :jester:

Otherwise I may as well just get on with modelling...... :butcher:

:O .................. :no:  :no:  :no:

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

A couple of water fowl have come in to enjoy the calm waters

med_gallery_17883_3225_221901.jpgrmweb1836waterfeature5

and a bird watcher dressed to be inconspicuous is soon checking them out

med_gallery_17883_3225_272236.jpgrmweb1837waterfeature6

• Like 4

this was an earlier version of the waterfall, with autumn colours, 

med_gallery_17883_3225_288749.jpgrmeb1603water4

then I changed the area to spring

med_gallery_17883_3225_591228.jpgrmweb1834waterfeature3

just beyond the waterfall is a watermill

med_gallery_17883_3225_114290.jpgrmweb1833waterfeature2

near which is a mother remnant of the autumn colouring

med_gallery_17883_3225_30607.jpgrmweb1835waterfeature4

• Like 5

Hi Jaz,

That miniature of Max gets me every time - it looks SO much like him! Although you do realise that if he was that close to so major a source of ice cream there wouldn't be any ice cream...

He isn't allowed it (dicy digestion with Westies being a bit of a breed trait) but that doesn't stop lofty ambitions.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

sounds like a wonderful weekend was had. What a great hobby this is where brilliant friendships can be forged 

it is really nice to meet people in real life, and up to now we have been really lucky. We have like everyone we have met so far.

David Todd is now a firm friend, as is Julian. We have known them the longest, all having come from another forum

Mick and Kal get on like a house on fire (I can barely get a word in edgeways when they start talking........LOL.....honestly)  

Marcus and family were delightful.There are other's we have met, but only spoken to for a short time, at exhibitions. But all have been nice and interesting. Fingers crossed....it stays that way.

• Like 2

it is really nice to meet people in real life, and up to now we have been really lucky. We have like everyone we have met so far.

David Todd is now a firm friend, as is Julian. We have known them the longest, all having come from another forum

Mick and Kal get on like a house on fire (I can barely get a word in edgeways when they start talking........LOL.....honestly)  

Marcus and family were delightful.There are other's we have met, but only spoken to for a short time, at exhibitions. But all have been nice and interesting. Fingers crossed....it stays that way.

Doesn't that feel a world away now, Jaz?

I always wonder what happened to Capt.Jango's layout/collection...he had 100+ locos alone.  I suspect someone may have got themselves a serious bargain.  I still miss him, and miss his modelling.

Doesn't that feel a world away now, Jaz?

I always wonder what happened to Capt.Jango's layout/collection...he had 100+ locos alone.  I suspect someone may have got themselves a serious bargain.  I still miss him, and miss his modelling.

I agree, there are some real gentlemen, and he was without doubt one. And many wives or family having taken no interest in their hobby, then having no understanding of it....so just bundle it up and sell it in one go. Or to be exact the locos coaches and wagons. The layout itself, the buildings, peripherals are often ignored. and rarely any matching of locos with relevant rolling stock. Obsolete buildings often are worth good money. People decide they want an old item, or accidenlty break a n item in their own set.

Also not having any thought that their modelling compatriots might even wish to be given an opportunity to purchase, modified products, scratch built items, that have been shown on the forums and have people who have serious interest.

And with todays moaning, legal complaints, suing, it is not in a forums best interest to attempt to facilitate, something that might help support both fans and family when a collection will no longer stay intact. And just how sad is that!!!

N.B. This is not a rant, and not a knock at any forums either, I love this forum....and am just accepting that EVEN if a forum would like to help..it is not in their best interests to get embroiled in attempting to do so. A fact of life. And forum do an invaluable job of giving people like us access to each other ;)

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

One day, Kal, I may just cast my shadow on your doorstep.

I've learnt to never say never, anymore...

You, too are one of our oldest forum friends.

Even though it was not from this forum that we originally met. You and I have managed  to get our selves in more than one squirmish LOL. One of which still often makes me laugh...(a certain person often popping up in yet another little scandal)..........and despite the fact you could say we lost that one.......

You would be very welcome....especially as it is obvious our sense of humour gels. Even if we don't go there....nowadays. LMAO.

And poor dt often left holding the joke on his thread... :sarcastichand:................  :mosking: ...............  :tomato:  :tomato:  :tomato:

Fun times.......we are so much quieter (ok no one will believe that) less controversial nowadays....... :angel: .

Not one decent bun fight since we got here.......... :triniti:

Not one decent bun fight since we got here......     :nono: 

........    OOoooohhh yes there has   ..................     :jester:  :jester:

....   but it was on the other thread   .....    :O

..............    Aaannnd .. there is a new Van here to re-supply Ammo   .............   :senile: