Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Jaz

Well you did ask :)

The overgrown look of the graveyard is really good but if you look at the picture of Goathland Church you posted you will see that as a general rule graves lie with the head at the west end and the feet at the east. More importantly they are in general alignment with the church.

This is by no means a rule and it is possible to find many examples of where it is not followed but it does look more 'right' if they all line up a bit like this.

attachicon.gifNew_Village08.JPG

Stu

t(edited to add picture)

Thank you useful to know, I am hoping to get a decent satellite picture for the church, so I can place some of the graves and those trees in approximately the right place, laying the graves in relation to the church will not be difficult, though the church needs to be shifted slightly to try and get the cameo picture aligned. I am already cheating because my road is mostly straight and should go around the corner.

I will count the alter of the church as the East and align the graves accordingly as long as the Goathland satellite is not in opposition to this...which I seriously doubt. After you posted and I googled 

East = Orient = orientation.  Which agrees with you. And seems a pretty established rule.

Thanks for the heads up.  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz

looking into the gravestones....Google seems to show that are this way

med_gallery_17883_3001_124099.jpgrmweb1947heartbeat1

which means the headstone face away from the tower

med_gallery_17883_3001_730950.jpgrmweb1948heartbeat2

it is too late to check it out tonite

med_gallery_17883_3001_489589.jpgrmweb1949heartbeat3

so will do so later

med_gallery_17883_3001_631873.jpgrmweb1950heartbeat4

I will check it out Monday as we will be busy tomorrow

• Like 7

Hi both, thanks for coming to DEMU today and making yourselve's known, I saw Jaz on many a layout getting ideas and Kal chatting to the traders.

It was really good to finally put faces to names and have a chat, sorry I was distracted with BCB but I had a good day.

Hope to catch up again soon some time.

• Like 2

Hi both, thanks for coming to DEMU today and making yourselve's known, I saw Jaz on many a layout getting ideas and Kal chatting to the traders.

It was really good to finally put faces to names and have a chat, sorry I was distracted with BCB but I had a good day.

Hope to catch up again soon some time.

It was really nice speaking to you and Jason/Sandside and Paul/Worsdell forever. and was impressed with BCB up close. Lots of ideas to copy. :sungum: Hope Dee was still talking to you when you finally got home :jester:

• Like 1

Class 33 or class 50 would be my favourite if you have them?

We just got back, having stopped off at friends, will check if the glue we added last night (seeing as I had wet the track already) is dry. will probably be tomorrow now.....waiting for a nice kebab to scoff, and rest my feet. :sungum: I think Kal should be ok to put his hands on those just need to schedule so they can all run....although have whipped off ALL the scenic items whilst ballasting. :angel: Otheriwse we tend to break stuff :O

• Like 1

We just got back, having stopped off at friends, will check if the glue we added last night (seeing as I had wet the track already) is dry. will probably be tomorrow now.....waiting for a nice kebab to scoff, and rest my feet. :sungum: I think Kal should be ok to put his hands on those just need to schedule so they can all run....although have whipped off ALL the scenic items whilst ballasting. :angel: Otheriwse we tend to break stuff :O

I know,.....but won't tell..... :no:  :no: .................Had a nice day I hope.............. :locomotive:

It was really nice speaking to you and Jason/Sandside and Paul/Worsdell forever. and was impressed with BCB up close. Lots of ideas to copy. :sungum: Hope Dee was still talking to you when you finally got home :jester:

Evening Jaz, Dee wanted me to stay all day so that I get a rest from decorating, (well that's what she said, I think she just wanted a rest from me attempting DIY, my worst nightmare).

I had a few looks around the show, and spoke to a few people but kept going back to BCB for another play.

Hope you and Kal had a good journey home.

BTW did you buy any gooooooodddiiiieess?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know you didn't buy a Judith Edge kit :). There's always next time as Michael does a lot of shows.

Great meeting you guys today, glad you enjoyed the show and BCB.

• Like 1

I know you didn't buy a Judith Edge kit :). There's always next time as Michael does a lot of shows.

Kal like two of the Judith Edge kits, but they had sold out of both of them. They expect new stocks of those specific models for July, so Kal can finalise which one he wants to plump for....then we will badger YOU for help. Was most impressed with the build and colouring of the one you had bought to use on the BCB layout.

Evening Jaz, Dee wanted me to stay all day so that I get a rest from decorating, (well that's what she said, I think she just wanted a rest from me attempting DIY, my worst nightmare).

I had a few looks around the show, and spoke to a few people but kept going back to BCB for another play.

Hope you and Kal had a good journey home.

BTW did you buy any gooooooodddiiiieess?

Bought 10 more paints Railmatch and Phoenix Precision. inc EWS gold and maroon off Shawplan.  Also bought some brass etching from N Brass Locomotives. And some more horse hair and green fluff and some real granite etc for scenery. Goodies including photography of a whole host of detailing, a number of picture will start appearing as I sort them out as reference for own modelling :sungum:  Kal would have bought a Judith Edge kit but the couple he liked were out of stock at present. I believe we need to source the engine and wheels independently, but they were quite helpful on how to go about this. They do a couple that have everything but I think Kal preferred ones with TOPs numbers.

• Like 1

We also saw caught up with Mick / Newbryford, and took more picture of his layout, especially track paraphernalia in the hope of improving our detailing. Always lovely to chat to  :sungum: 

Resisted taking the rubber mallet I threatened him (well his 66720) with..... LOL. His locos just look so good.

No... But, you have got me researching them, thing is, i don't like to buy anything untilI understand how it would fit and had the 06 been there i know a little about the already, so would have bought.

The industrials i know nowt abowt, so gonna cross ref the judith edge kits with the scenes we plan and see what go for. I will def buy the 06 when available, and something else by mail order when i work out what.

Jason and Paul and a closer look at the the stall , made it clear that i would enjoy building one, and i may have found something there, unfortunately one of the security people kicked us out before i had made a choice as it was after 4pm.

Pondering a plasser kit from charlie too, and will buy a pair of valenta decoders from Ian/Charlie when the latest update is added. So not bought today, but seeds are sown.

Hopefully buy the time i get them i will have built some of the brass trackside kits i bought to day and this will provide me with some practice.

Thanks to all that made it an enjoyable day, including. Andy P, Jason, Mick , Brian, Jim SW, Paul, Andy Y, Fiona, Ian, Charlie and anyone else who we spoke to but I forgot to ask there names. Sorry for that.

Wonderful show, great layout, friendly people and good affordable food and tea. Great day.

• Like 3

DEMU2014

Black Country Blues, and some of the details...

med_gallery_17883_3195_341113.jpgrmweb1905DEMU2014A

I really liked the variety of bushes and undergrowth. These lovely plants with white and pink foam, and the horsehair as the basis for bushes with green fibres and green 'leaves'.

med_gallery_17883_3195_477630.jpgrmweb1906DEMU2014B

I really liked their grass too, apparently they pop the static grass on, and after that is done pop some static on, so that only some of the grass stands up....this is very effective, they seem to often go two tone greens, so a fresh green and a straw or drier looking grass...very effective.

I can never resist having a good look at other peoples water features

med_gallery_17883_3195_287543.jpgrmweb1907DEMU2014C

This little stream,caught the light nicely at the show....my photo does not reflect it so well. I was snapping so much I did not check all my photos. Still it looks quite nice.

The canal goes over several levels and was really nicely detailed with plastic sheets

med_gallery_17883_3195_311187.jpgrmweb1908DEMU2014D

I managed to catch the reflections on the  water here.

• Like 11

More Black country Blues

really enjoyed some of the little details like this burnt out bonfire

med_gallery_17883_3195_140006.jpgrmweb1954DEMU2014E

The wooden plank facilitating walking along side the canal

med_gallery_17883_3195_162089.jpgrmweb1955DEMU2014F

liked the fence, looks like some matchsticks and some wire twisted might be able to to do a creditable copy

med_gallery_17883_3195_442009.jpgrmweb1956DEMU2014G

and liked the rust in this area

med_gallery_17883_3195_179571.jpgrmweb1957DEMU2014H

There was more pictures but not focused properly. which is a shame because my snap of Stubby47s WC leaves a lot to be desired, and in real life it was an excellent piece of work.

• Like 7

DEMU2014

Nearby was Horseley Fields, a really nice N gauge layout

med_gallery_17883_3195_141126.jpgrmweb1957DEMU2014I

water and weathering, looks good in his picute, looks superb in realife

med_gallery_17883_3195_389731.jpgrmweb1958DEMU2014J

These Bachmann buildings have been recoloured from the original green and the printed platform tops.

med_gallery_17883_3195_773199.jpgrmweb1959DEMU2014K

some realistic road markings, 

med_gallery_17883_3195_441947.jpgrmweb1960DEMU2014L

Had a great chat with a couple of the guys who were very happy to tell you how they achieved their effects. Several good quality scrachbuilt as well as kit built buildings, in addition to the resins.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 9

More Horseley Fields

Really liked some of their detailing

the track side building apparently was cobbled together, but looks really good, someone clearly referenced

med_gallery_17883_3195_627999.jpgrmweb1961DEMU2014M

This lovely shed was a club build which I think included a lot of work by Ben A

med_gallery_17883_3195_76674.jpgrmweb1962DEMU2014N

and some wonderful detailing

med_gallery_17883_3195_482975.jpgrmweb1963DEMU2014O

And a quick link for anyone else who might wish to check their thread out here on RMweb

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30801-horseley-fields-n-gauge-layout-was-dibben-junction/&do=findComment&comment=323512

• Like 7

And if needing some trackside reference whilst at DEMU, no better place to look than Mick's NewBryford layout

med_gallery_17883_3195_211149.jpgrmweb1964newbryford1

med_gallery_17883_3195_401726.jpgnewbryfod1965newsbryford2

some of the pictures could be closer...but each time i passed there were people taking pictures and videos, getting close to take pictures was far from easy

med_gallery_17883_3195_466415.jpgrmweb1966newbryford3

luckily there is plenty of pictures available of this layout on Micks own thread  :sungum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40199-new-bryford/&do=findComment&comment=429956

med_gallery_17883_3195_555955.jpgrmweb1967newbryford4

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 8

More from Newbryford

med_gallery_17883_3195_460942.jpgrmweb1968newbryford5

excellent reference here

med_gallery_17883_3195_17191.jpgrmweb1969newbryford6

med_gallery_17883_3195_475182.jpgrmweb1970newbryford7

like this one too, sorry picture aren't 'pretty' but it was all about capturing the trackside details whilst I had the opportunity

med_gallery_17883_3195_722794.jpgrmweb1971newbryford8

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 8

Would have loved to go there, it looks like you had a great time. If only it were nearer (160 miles away from me)!!! I always find that  at the local shows there is a severe lack of modern image layouts.

• Like 1

The place was not a crush, and was set in a lovely Town Hall with lots of architectural features, and lovely aged wood. Going on the Sunday meant parking was not effected by Saturday shoppers in the centre of town. The food was not over priced, although limited to burger buttes chips and beans. Which I admit we had no trouble eating.I even took some snaps of the parking our front, which I might well use as I redo Kalborough Union Station Approach.Even the bus stop with its higher step was of interest LOL.

The lack of barriers around the layouts was a bit dangerous. I am sure several times I got too far in for the comfort of the owners. But everyone was nice and none told me to back off. Though I am sure there was a few having palpations...you tend to forget once you are focusing on the picture you are taking and looking through the lens instead of looking normally. And many of my pictures were rushed so not as focused as I would like. On AV I often take several pictures before I am satisfied, here there was just not the time, with so much of interest.

I took a lot of notice of peoples trackside detailing, and their method of doing greenery. Hopefully that will translate into our own layout improving. Everyone I spoke to was incredibly nice and informative. I have taken wads of pictures of details that are well worth trying to copy. 

A lot of people turned out to be on threads right here on RMweb, so I can look through their threads at my leisure. All in all a very enjoyable day. And still lots more pictures to put up!!!!

• Like 2

DEMU 2014

Brighton East

med_gallery_17883_3195_132172.jpgrmweb1971brightoneast1

something you would think was obvious but popping the cabinets on a base looks so much better, nice fencing in the foreground

med_gallery_17883_3195_225611.jpgrmweb1972brightoneast2

trackside detailing including some lovely buddleja

med_gallery_17883_3195_465081.jpgrmweb1973brightoneast3

was very impressed with the natural looking greenery.

• Like 7