Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Initially I thought it would just rip itself to shreds, :no:  but actually it lends itself to the brick work, :paint:

:sungum: .

If you have a specific question you know you need only ask.

S'pose, you missed this stand at Warley,yesterday....?

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys.php

expect me to cash that in 

The exhibition closes at 5.pm today.................. :O

dt / Warley

It was great catching up. And nice putting a face to other people we have not 'met' before. The biggest complaint I have about Warley is not only is the food being excessively overpriced but much of it is not even good food. Portion sizes were a total joke. Too late I noticed the Presto Pasty which was not overly exorbitant and looked good. And the pasties were the normal size!

We didn't have enough time in one day to peruse all the layouts. We got up at 7.30 and arrived at gone 11 and queued to get in for well over 20 minutes (don't pay by credit card!!!) It's too far to go back on Sunday. But we did have a good day with the traders. fiddled through the unpacked items at Langley models picking and choosing parts of sets I was interested in. I drooled past ten commandments, but at the present still have loads of their stuff to find a home on the layout (this will happen as the scenery is replaced) I finally tracked down dart castings (and Monty model Railways) and went mad. (yeah yeah dt I saw the sarcasm  :blind: ) Kal found a train or two and got a bargain saving 30£ at Kernow stall (just covered our tickets!!!)  A lot of the traders I am interested in do our local shows, so I doubt I would travel there again. But all in all an experience. 

dt Nice seeing you there always a pleasure to have a chin wag,

Photos of models will follow as they get painted, and some people might be confused into thinking this is either Langleys or Dart Casting home page  :angel:

Edited by Jaz

Dart Casting

been painting today, and testing on the test piece of scenery

MLV19 Shepherd with crook and Olde English sheepdog N.B.(a border collie comes in the pack) The sheepdog from another Dart pack. Dogs MDA1 3 types

med_gallery_17883_3001_283366.jpgrmweb119shepherd1

plus a dove cote

med_gallery_17883_3001_453897.jpgrmweb121shepherd2

and a tractor and man from the original layout

med_gallery_17883_3001_29192.jpgrmweb121shepherd3

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

Well this time I followed the instructions, and tidied the white metal for any faults (not much Dart are good) and then washed in soap water. Model painting officionardos say they should be pinter black first to help with shadows etc. I do just go straight for the top coat and a second if necessary and add my own shadows later. But I like the metal instead of the plastic. More because they have been modelled better - well for those that need painting. Nock Preiser etc do great ready made ones. I saw some mounted german policemen and they are gorgeous - shame theres no brit police on horseback. Well not that I have seen.

I often find I like enamel colours or enamel shadows then they are too shiny, so need dulling. I like my Langley donkeys but at the second they are way too glossy. Perhaps why they are not on the thread yet. But if you use the tamiya nato colours they are great for giving deep colour. I used them on the shepherd and old english sheep dog, with no undercoat, a first coat then a second coat gave its own shadows and then a little of Hombrol smoke I would have used model mates dirty brown.

I can't reiterate too much that I I love micro brush superfine 10 for £1.99.

When your at a show and see Langley models, go in look to the right (so far its always there) and there's some trays, you can buy some of their critters separately and cheaper as not packed. I spent 20 pounds there yesterday and got lots of critters, and buckets, a coffin, 10 sheep (they cost 7£), barrels (£1 each), planting crates of bottles, sundial, lawnmower, wheelbarrow...oh lots......

Talking of which whilst going bananas at Dart I noticed they had pack of, and I quote VACANT SHEEP, so I asked surely you must do intelligent sheep, to which I got the reply, "Of course, but you have to look carefully because they are pretending to be VACANT SHEEP"

Like the photos Jaz,

Particularly like the Sheep Dog with his Shepherd  ...

Have you any idea where the Badger might end up  ...  or is it a case of tb or not tb  .....   :nono:

and then washed in soap water.

I used to do Military figured / Dioramas and found the Humbrol Matt Enamels perfect for cover and none shine  .....    good for faces too, but needed more white added ..

I read a tip for cleaning them  ....  to use an old toothbrush and a very small amount of toothpaste and a touch of detergent to clean it off.  It worked very well for the 54mm models.

strange co-incidence here, as, earlier today Mini Driver and I were inspecting the contents of the set of drawers I used to use for that.

She was [quite?] interested in the Napoleonic uniforms, particularly a headless mounted Hussar - actually the head was in the drawer and I put it on the rider for her, but she found it more fun without  ....    :scratchhead:

The paints were still there and quite a few were still liquid  [from 30 years ago]. I thought it best to throw them out, but will be down at the local model shop to pick up some more, having been reminded how good they were.

J

Eeerrr   ....................

.... run to the bin and rescue them!!!!!

Weeelll .......    firstly they were well used and the work involved finding which ones had enough remaining is less than the time to get new in      ..........  even going into town on our local busses  ......

.....................  secondly the neighbours would probably conclude that the old duffer had decided to end it all by self disposal and attempt rescue   .........  just too embarrassing to attempt  ......     :no:   ....   particularly in the dark  .....

Should have explained that the toothpaste in the last puerile scribbling, will remove the stuff on plastic which assists with removal from the mould, also helps with providing a key and on the metal ones removes the grey [oxidation?]

covering.  I guess going on too long might later polish the model, but I never got that far.

J

Ah ok, and as for the badgers, I though either a sett on the bank or a run with a culvert. I haven't necessarily thought out where bits are going, more they are attractive and I will find a spot.

I have no plans for a road squish.....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I wouldn't waste that paint, Julian.  I have stacks of the stuff from 25-30 years ago which was as good as new!

I did wonder if Mini Driver liked the Hussar as it was The Headless Horsemen, but then remembered that the Harry Potter character was Nearly headless Nick...

Hi Both,

I do like the colour of Foxy there.  

There was one that used to visit my Cornish Restaurant car-park, every time he was taking the p*** out of the local hunt, whenever they were in our direction and he was just that colour.  His routine was to take to the top of the hill crest up above the Restaurant, where he would walk on top of the stone walls, until they spotted him.  Once he was certain they had spotted him and on the way, he dropped off the wall and made a pass at a couple of fields, just to get them really going.

At this point he back tracked a short distance to where he had passed over a stream, which he trotted down at a leisurely pace, through a culvert and then climbed out of the stream where it cut across the top corner of my garden.

A quiet stroll to the middle of the car-park followed, from where he would sit and watch the chaos up the hill.  I hear people say that dogs are capable of laughing and I am inclined to agree - but I am absolutely certain that foxes can.

He also had a daily route which went along the other side of the perimeter fence and was quite a size too. It was a real delight to see and that colour was really deep rich, mid brown.

I have seen a few round here which are very similar too, I prefer it to the sometimes paler ginger some of the reds become.

I did wonder if Mini Driver liked the Hussar as it was The Headless Horsemen, but then remembered that the Harry Potter character was Nearly headless Nick...

:yes:   .....    you are quite right there, she was highly amused by that too  ...   particularly ever time his head gets flopped over whilst running about    .......    :read:

I guess, with all this advice, I had better get out to the bottom of the weelie bin, to retrieve the paint pots to find which ones that survived the time test   ........................   mind you - I am not beyond the thought that this could be a plot between you and Jaz to have the neighbours Mosking :mosking:  away at the pair of legs poking out of the top of the Bin, as it was only emptied last Friday   ..........   

....    what will doubtless get them going even more is when I return many of the pots to the bin   ...   as they will have no idea that I will not, simply, be putting them all back again    ......    :fie:

J

No need to go in head-first.  Does it take a retired Army Officer to suggest you lie the bin on its side?  Honestly, you Blue Jobs must have had the Erks doing everything for you while you reclined in the mess over tea and medals ;-)

• Like 1

Thank you very much for taking some of your invaluable time to pass down some experience ..  :mail:  .. to us Junior Service types   ...........      :friends:

No need to go in head-first.   ....................   lie the bin on it's side?

True that would make it easier to get in the bin    .................    and true it makes it much easier to observe the enemy approaching, whilst searching   ...........................

...................   but feet first does make it more tricky to see what you might be picking up    .......     :no2:

Honestly, you Blue Jobs must have had the Erks doing everything for you.....

You mean the other Brown jobs never told you    ..................     It is a poor organiser, who can't organise himself out of a job  ............    :lazy:

J

I'm afraid by the time I joined up Batman was a rather camp TV series with improbable villains, not someone who looked after my kit.  Saying that I did try to keep up a bit of old-fashioned style.  My favourite expression was, "Officer shouldn't run.  It's undignified and it panics the men!"

Hi

Did I tell you about the Army Major that was captured by a French General during one of our many wars?

Well, the French General thought he would have some fun with the Major, and started his jibes with a dig  at the British Army Uniform " Haw Haw Haw, you Engleesh, you are so stoopid, wiz your red toonics, it makes you very easy to shoot"

"Ah" said the Major "we wear Red tunics ,so the men do not see the blood when we are shot and so, do not run in fear"

"Fantasteek", exclaims  the French General, "Corporal, inform ze men, from now on, all Franch officeers shall wear ze BROWN trousers!"

Regards

Kal

Edited by Kal

Effectively, it went as we arrived   ..................

The first thing we got at OCTU, was a pile of APs [Air Publications / Regulations - for none Service persons]   .....................      the second thing we were issued was a pile of Amendments to update the APs  ..............

................    one such amendment was to strike through "Gentlemen" and "Ladies" from the definition of an Officer  ........    :yes:   .................   despite which removal, the Code of Conduct was NOT amended  .......   

I'm afraid by the time I joined up Batman was a rather camp TV series....

They were pretty much gone when we arrived too  ........    limited to a couple of Civilians who made Tea [from Tarmacadam!], woke you if you hadn't heard them crashing down the corridor and scrubbed the polish off any shoes which anyone had been stupid enough to leave outside the door to be cleaned.......    :O

One exception, much later on, was a real gentleman Batman.  Gentle knock at the door with a good cup of Tea, accompanied by polite comment about the weather and a query about "Sirs intentions for the evening."

Upon return from the day's thrashing the atmosphere with big fans and frightening the bird life, a set of clothing would be found, laid out on the bed.  It had been sponged, brushed, pressed and selected to be suitable for whatever evening occupation had been specified that morning. [Lounge suit for Mon, Tue, Thu, Sports Jacket for Wed and Fri, and for visits into Cambridge to eat/drink out]

The next day, no matter what you had done with the clothes you wore on the previous evening, they would be found, sponged, brushed, pressed and hung [sBP&H] at the correct end of the Wardrobe............

Should "Sir" have the temerity to decide, for some reason, to wear something else, he would know  ... :this: ....    he would find it, remove it SBP&H and "Sir" would be reproved by pointed questions about the quality and suitability of the clothes which had been left for "Sir"    ...........    :acute:   .........    about 6 months after that, the Batmen disappeared  ....... 

..................   and I was left with an addiction for whatever the original Batmen put in the liquid Tarmacadam they served up   ..........................   

Oh dear, all that on Jaz's otherwise rather informative Thread and started on the longevity of Humbrol Enamel Paint  ..........   which reminds me, it is getting dark now and I think I will just pop outside  ...  I may be a while  .....   :spiteful:

J

• Like 1