Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hangs head in shame.........must....do....hills.......

But the cats away, and the mouse does play............. :imsohappy:

actually the mouse is off to go play with the Goathland hills, now she has some natural light. :P

But when it gets dark........

med_gallery_17883_2781_527563.jpgrmweb52kits1

There's still the Spalding haul.

And when I sit down to watch tv, there's always the Donks.

med_gallery_17883_2781_482874.jpg

It occurs to me, That I have a picture of a child who has spent time on this beech......

Meantime ......The hills are alive with the sounds of music........

4f8_7950_2125630.jpeg

and the rustling of trees, therefore a small copper model

med_gallery_17883_2781_472404.jpgrmweb55trees

Green scene flex bark -  2 coats

med_gallery_17883_2781_160005.jpgrmweb53trees

and a large one, first coat only

med_gallery_17883_2781_564399.jpgrmweb54trees

need to go on a hunt, somewhere we have Green Scene brown foliage fibre, and Gaugemaster GM158 leaves dark green and GM157 leaves medium green.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

You know I mentioned my eyesight?

Well the fourth picture (mweb55trees) totally confused me, coming as it did after the waterfall photo.

At first glance I honestly thought it was a tree floating in a river - I completely mistook the wood grain of the table to be ripples on the water, and the reflection of the flash just reinforced that impression.

:sungum:

Al

Well the good news is then, that I can expect some extra craftsman clever off you LMAO. 

Heres a tree coloured and greened stuck in for a quick picture, compare the tree and the water colour to the real picture above, the tree (or similar) will need to be put on the left, as the model develops, I think we need the bricks for the waterfall next.

med_gallery_17883_2781_654711.jpg

• Like 7

Thats better :)

Donkeys look good, but the perspective is not right babe.  They would be up to their ears in water, if they were in relationship to the sea wall as you have it.

Funny language that American.  Even more surprised that your better half would be upset at such a description.

Google wench, so that you can see what it really means ;)

• RMweb Gold

You know I mentioned my eyesight?

Well the fourth picture (mweb55trees) totally confused me, coming as it did after the waterfall photo.

At first glance I honestly thought it was a tree floating in a river - I completely mistook the wood grain of the table to be ripples on the water, and the reflection of the flash just reinforced that impression.

:sungum:

Al

My mum warned me about this - sitting too close to the tv as a kid :) mind you, I then spent the last 20 years staring at a computer screen. Eye shop today, my squinting is starting to give me a headache.

Enjoying the trees!

• RMweb Premium

:blush: Two meanings! Old saxon english and modern.

wench (webreve.gifnch)
n.
1. A young woman or girl, especially a peasant girl.
2. A woman servant.
3. A wanton woman.

wench [wɛntʃ] :heat:
n
1. a girl or young woman, esp a buxom or lively one: now used facetiously
2. Archaic a female servant
3. Archaic a prostitute

Wasn't implying anything, just confused at Kal's use of old english :sorry:

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

:blush: Two meanings! Old saxon english and modern.

wench (webreve.gifnch)

n.

1. A young woman or girl, especially a peasant girl.

2. A woman servant.

3. A wanton woman.

wench [wɛntʃ] :heat:

n

1. a girl or young woman, esp a buxom or lively one: now used facetiously

2. Archaic a female servant

3. Archaic a prostitute

Wasn't implying anything, just confused at Kal's use of old english :sorry:

I always thought a wench was a female spanner!  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Amazing bit of painting Jaz, you must have steady hands. I don't think I could manage such detail on something so small and intricate. (For one thing, I wouldn't be able to see it!)

Now, where's me white stick...

Al.

Al,

Just a bit of thread hijack.  You can buy a lamp with a magnifying glass in the middle from Hobbycraft, and maybe elsewhere.  Mine cost about £12.00.  I went to buy one for my son who when he saw mine was amazed, ("What else can you buy," he said to his brother, "that will enrich your life so much!"), and paid nearly £50.00 so they come in different shapes and sizes.

I certainly could not paint figures without mine.

• RMweb Premium

My eye doc gave me a pescription for bifocals the other week.The Git! (Arabic: pregnant camel)

I don't know why has I had no bother painting Harry Potters glasses on him in OO!

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

ChrisN

Magnifying lens

We use them too, I bought micro brush size superfine 10 for 1.99£, much easier than brushes for very fine work. I used them on the model donkeys.

Jaz,

I have never used these as I had not heard of them.  Where do you get yours from?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks one and all.  I did find the Microbrush website but the stockists were a shop with no website and a wholesaler.  I was not sure about the wholesaler but I should have looked irst as I have been on the site before looking for things.

Goathland Station

The water feature continues.

The river as we all know hugs the back of the Goathland station carpark

The PIR foam has a groove cut so it can by positioned tightly, and once the final resting space of the first sheet of walling is decided it will also have little trianglualr notches down its length helping it to bend round the corner (think corrugated cardboard with the front and the middle)

The horizontal PIR you see is the carpark surface but its height has not yet been confirmed.

rmweb57weir1

The foil has to be removed top and matched underneath, otherwise I suspect it will warp as per the issues we had some time ago.

A quick rub with a sanding block

The riverside ground is checked for fit, when it becomes obvious 

med_gallery_17883_2878_148938.jpgrmweb58weir2

this will now need to be refitted as it is 25mm higher

There is a slice in the hill due to the fact we have realised there is a back wall on the curve. Goggle Earth or Google Maps don't make this obvious 

but research pictures, thanks to all who provided pictures....have made this apparent

med_gallery_17883_2878_148938.jpgrmweb59weir3

I will need to match the river cololuring remembering that the first part was painted onto marine ply and this will be painted onto PIR foam.

Luckily the base is mostly black so it blots out most of the colour of the initial surfaces

med_gallery_17883_2878_102579.jpgrmweb60weir4

Some thought will need to be given where the two walls join

left side of weir has a higher wall

right side of the weir has a lower wall with a black fence

I suspect the join will be heavily covered in foliage in the not too distant future

Pictures of the opposite side of the weir have also brought some features to light, further info on this in due time

The weir of course causes turbulence and turbulence equals white water

med_gallery_17883_2878_52167.jpgrmweb61weir5

into the varnish is dropped 100% pva to commence the waterfall build

med_gallery_17883_2878_84921.jpgrmweb62weir6

and the same is started on the weirs stonework

med_gallery_17883_2878_8346.jpgrmweb63weir7

As due to the wealth of research pictures,and  it becoming apparent that another wall exists, this cut out will be tested when the varnish is dry tomorrow, to see how far it needs to extend.

Trees sit on the flat surface in front of the wall. The stones will be cut in once I have sussed how many layers and the approximate size.

I suppose I need to look at more trees. Time for a break.

• Like 2