Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I do like the look of your figures but what I think is even more amazing is that you only bought them on Saturday!  Your work rate must be incredible.  I have a whole pile of figures to paint but each one takes me ages as I leave time between each colour and each coat.  However, the worst bit is deciding what colour that they should be in to start with.

As we have some military types on this thread what do you think of Monty's WAAF?  I always have thought that she should have her hair tied back and so have removed some of it.  Am I right?

On acryllics on figures.  I have found that they are too thick and need thinning, but you probably already know that.

Hi Both,

Yes I did know, but simply slipped with the typing, many sad apologies to Both.  ......    :mail:

Agreed about the acrylics, I like the Enamels much better, for figures, particularly as some are a bit dumpy in the first place.    ......    :declare:

WRAF In my time they all had to either have very short cut hair or tie it back. What I see around here, the same applies now too.
I can't imagine it being other in wartime, but have vague recollections of pictures of girls with shoulder length hair [may just be film stars 'though].  

I looked at my pictures of the WRAF girl's and though I have bigger pictures I just can't upload them at the moment. Googling WRAF uniforms get you some great pictures. Mine might be a tad too blue and not grey enough.

JCredfer can I ask for your input? Seeing as how you are much more familiar with the WRAF lasses than me  :angel:

I like the Monty figure.I would have kept the hair as I thought it more 1940s, but it is a personal thing, and if you like her that way, then you should go for it.

The acrylics are not so shiny, i tend to work the paint so it becomes thin, but I do accept acrylic can be gloomy.

.........J beat me to it!!!

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

A question.  As you have a Harry Potter theme as well as a Heartbeat one, have you got any figures of the boy himself?  That is in his gown?  I assume that you cannot just buy these in 20mm so if you have how did you make them? 

I am particularly interested in the gown as I am converting a Monty's figure into a teacher.  I have tried Milliput and also paper.  Milliput was a disaster, and the paper I was going to use I had lost so used newspaper, which I thought was the same grade but was too stiff.  Paper from a paper bag is better, or better still, the wrapping paper for Bacchus Beer.  Expensive though.

Just about to try again and have nearly lost my nerve.  Thought I would ask as you may have tried, and if not and I suceed it may be of help.

Ages ago I made a BRUTE and made the curtains for it. I used tissue paper (not toilet paper) that china presents are wrapped in. It absorbs paint well and is reasonably easy to manipulate.

I haven't done them (Harry Ron and Hermione) in gowns only in muggle clothes at Goathland / Hogsmeade station using standard models.

BRUTEs

med_gallery_17883_2793_1238770.jpgimg0852

Cut the tissue to shape dab, paint it carefully, put into place, add some copydex so you can reposition if your not happy, use a cocktail stick to position.

Hope this helps

Edited by Jaz

How helpful was that? Nope? Do you remember who? Come on stop being a tease or next time I'm letting the dogs sleep outside your bedroom.

Imagine.....

Middle of the night, you need a pee, and you know there is two dobermanns sat in the hall......And peeing in a vase in NOT acceptable.

Never mind I think it was shire scenes from Dart castings. But I think Ten Commandements is the same.

Edited by Jaz

Christmas party hats?

Self coloured too.  ...   :locomotive:

J

PS. Breaking Forgotten news about WRAF  - At various times they have had to wear Black coloured stockings / tights [never got close enough to be sure which!! ...   :nono: ...  

.........   never fancied the Court Martial which accompanied such behaviour!!] and at other eras they got to wear normal flesh coloured ones.

At the moment the 2 x WRAF I see at the School Gate, are in the black nylon ones but may be able to give further information about what is now or was previously allowed - if anyone is that curious.

The problem for modelers is that they were nylon type stockings not the thicker ones, leg colour would show through. I did hear many of them complain from time to time and express preference for the flesh toned ones.

Jas may be able to expand on how it might be possible to paint the skin colour tone showing through.

I think J should speak to the WRAF girls, if he avoids getting slapped he is one mean chatter. Who can we get to take a picture? Then his wife will ensure the slapping  :haha:

If your going for the copydex idea to test it,a nd tissue is small and paint for that is cheap, try whatever, comes to hand, but asking the wife (daughter / daughter in law) to unpack the Xmas decorations a little early and nick a cracker and thus extract a hat a good idea, at Kal said.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks one and all it has been most helpful.

I would not have mentioned my 'little problem' but I thought you might find it useful.  I am doing a dummy run using one of Mike Pett's figures, who is a scale 6ft and so really too big.  She is getting her gown made from Bacchus covering paper.  I like the idea of tissue paper as it needs to be both flexible and strong.

I would post a picture but I do not have a camera that is good enough.  Christmas maybe.

who is a scale 6ft and so really too big.

Don't you believe it   ......   my excuse for being found in the Sgt's Mess so often, one Christmas, was that one of the WRAF Sgts threatened to pick the other officer [WRAF] and myself and carry us across to their Mess  .....  

Even the Stn Commander accepted that refusal would have been "Rather  risky"  .....       :yes:

J