Squeaky wheels on Hornby Mallard tender

southernelectric

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me here. I recently acquired a Hornby super-detailed Mallard and have been running her in on a little test oval. After a couple of hours I noticed a loud squeaking noise, which wasn't there when I started running in the loco. A process of elimination narrowed it down to the tender wheels but only when moving in the forwards direction.

What's the best way of getting rid of the squeaky noise? I did think about dropping some oil on the axles, but I'm not sure.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Tender upside down then spin wheels to see if any are stiff or you can hear any noises.

If needed you will see three screws remove these and lever the nrm coupling off using a flat knife blade undernaeth the coupling body. Lift the cover off wheels will fall out . Check and adjust the copper pick ups so they are not tight gainst the wheel rims. The Loco will run without the tender pick ups if you wish.

A drop of Electrolube, as lubricant, on the pickups/wheel back will help a lot.

Stewart

OK, so I put some of that (the Expo stuff) on the back wheels and have been running the loco round the test oval again today.

The squeaking is still there though, a sort of high-pitched squeal, it might not even be coming from the tender now, it might actually be the loco. I say this because the tender was making the noise if I ran it along the track by hand but it doesn't do that any more - after applying the lube. Connect to the loco, send power to the track to move it and it comes back.

The noise is only happening when the loco/tender is sent round the track in the forwards direction. If I send it round in reverse (tender-first) the noise completely disappears!

Any ideas?

Run the Loco on its own , then you now where the noise is coming from. Very small amount of oil on motor bearings at each end may help.

The loco won't run on it's own, I tried that. It needs the tender to run. It has the new-style connector, with the white plastic plug that connects to the base of the tender. I've got in running in reverse now, noise is almost non-existent.

I dropped a little bit of lube on the valve gear as per the instruction leaflet but no different. Where are the motor bearings you mention? (sorry I'm so not knowledgeable on these matters)

Plug idea is a real pain!!

You need to remove loco body. First undo the oil lubricator drive on the right side it is a small crank to the left as you look at it. Ba careful as nut easil damaged ensure coupling roda are at the bottom postion first. Then remove bogie at front , then large screw at front of loco. Pull chassis up and forward at same time and chassis should then come out.

Motor has brass colour bearings at each end of the drive shaft, light  oil and check nothing is rubbing or bent as well.

Reassemble and hopefully all ok If not some pictures will help.

Before you do this have a look at the loco pickups and they can get trapped in the wheel spokes and cause a clicking noise . If they are, let us know for more guidance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If I have had a problem with a Hornby loco that I cannot resolve I pop it in the post to the Hornby service centre at Margate with an explanatory note, they have always been superb and have never charged me for repairs or adjustments. 

Thanks for the replies everyone...even the tongue-in-cheek (or should that be squeak?) ones. Well the loco has subsequently developed several other serious issues since I last posted, won't go into it here but for a premium priced brand new Hornby product I'm massively disappointed. It was going to be a present for someone in the family who has a special birthday coming up, instead I went out and bought a Bachmann Sir Nigel Gresley at the weekend. Put that loco on my little test oval and runs beautifully - none of the problems that have plagued this Mallard. I may start another thread but I'll probably be sending the loco to Hornby - perhaps to Simon Kohler - accompanied by a strong but polite letter explaining my utter despair at this loco. It's a real shame and immensely frustrating, and with time not on my side I wasn't going to chance it with another Hornby A4.

Archived