Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

I know Andy Y already hates IE, 'cos it gives him extra headaches, but this morning my IE is behaving a little oddly. When I shut down last night I received a very large Microsoft update - it took ages to digest before shutting the PC down. Today I had a Microsoft splash page when I clicked on IE, all about IE10 - but with no link to download it, so I wonder if IE9 has simply been over-written. Symptoms on here include Active Content not updating when I go back in from a thread - it doesn't now show I've been there. If I then click refresh - bingo, it does. I am also the beneficiary of a spellchecker (and a good thing too for many of us!), so the custom dictionary will be getting a hammering with all sorts of names!

Not die-in-a-ditch stuff, but others may be having similar problems?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

I use IE10 without issues.

Try pressing Ctrl+F5 to refresh the VNC (active content) page, this should force a hard refresh - if this fails then try clearing cookies and temporary files.

To check IE, click on the Tools icon (a cog wheel) and then click about I.E - it should then show you the version you are running.

cheers,

I had the same problem.

It is easy to go back to your previous version of IE, if you want.

You click on Control Panel, then the Uninstall Programs icon. When the Uninstall a Program window opens you will see in the panel on the left a menu item "View installed updates". Click on that and after about a minute you will see the list of updates that have been installed on your computer. There is a category for Windows Updates, and IE10 will be in that. Click on the IE10 and you will be given the option of uninstalling it. You will still be able to access the internet if you do uninstall it as all that happens is that Windows goes back to version of IE that you had before the IE10 update was installed, in my case that was IE8 because I didn't like IE9.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys - yup IE10 is present! A pity that Microsoft didn't just say that I'd had the upgrade! I also discover I'm running 64-bit Windows - hey, me got Y Chromosome!

Be careful now that you've discovered that 64-bit element.

Just because it's 64-bit Windows doesn't mean that all 64-bit programs work properly. MS have recommended users not to use their own 64-bit version of Office because it's not as robust as the 32-bit version running on WOW64 (WOW64 = Windows On Windows 64 - the way that 32-bit programs run on 64-bit is a bit like emulation). Mozilla don't even do a 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows due to add-on and extension issues, I believe.

Edit: tidy up

• RMweb Premium

My IE is at version 10, it was installed as an update on 13/03/2013 and I knew it was being installed.

Win 7 64bit and IE10 64bit.

Keith

EDIT I normally use Firefox, but this posting is in IE, just to try it!

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've deleted cookies - so had to sign in on RMweb - but I'm still not getting a true VNC page, just the last version. Not the end of the world.

It seems an obvious question Ian -- but if IE is causing you grief, why do you stick with it?

It would take you about 15 seconds to install Firefox or Google Chrome. You don't have to use them for anything other than RMweb if you don't want to. You can go on using IE for other sites if you prefer.

regards,

Martin.

Ian,

If I understand you correctly, you are seeing the same behaviour in IE10 as happens in most other browsers. IE9 reloaded pages when the back button was pressed, IE10, and most other browsers, do not. Instead, they just reload the page from the browser's own local cache and do not request a new copy.  In general, this is very sensible behaviour. After all, you already have a copy of the previous page in your browser cache so, firstly, why add extra load to your machine and browser by requesting and rendering a new copy of the page? Secondly, why use internet bandwidth just to reload something you already have? Thirdly, why put extra load on the server by requesting another copy of something you already have.

Of course, for a small number of web pages, such as VNC, there is a potential benefit to reloading the page and this is what you've grown used to. The rest of us are used to refreshing, or pressing "View New Content", as and when we need to and not putting the extra load on everything.

Personally, I only use IE for testing that pages look right when viewed by people using IE, so I don't know my way around its options very well. Perhaps you can find, or someone who knows more can advise of, a setting in IE10 that enables the behaviour found in IE9 and which you've grown used to?

Nick

Archived