BRM - July 2013 issue

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Here's a sneak preview of our July issue front cover. As you can see, we've gone for something very different. The loco is Hornby's 52xx, weathered expertly by Andy York. The picture is, of course, taken by Andy himself.

We hope you like it as much as we do!

You can watch our 'July Issue Preview Video' here: http://bit.ly/13fw7Nk

post-14186-0-25772700-1370266617_thumb.jpg

I'll upload a contents list later today.

This issue goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday (June 7) and will be available in shops on Thursday, June 13.

Thanks,

Steve

• Administrators

A couple of Andy York's recent blog entries are specifically about some of the articles found in the July issue of BRM:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1342/entry-11671-roger-canham-iron-man/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1342/entry-11696-humbrol-weathering-powders/

Enjoy...

Steve

This issue goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday (June 7) and will be available in shops on Thursday, June 13.

Why do those of us who like a paper copy have to wait a week nearly after the digital version has been released? If anything the digital one should come second with the lower price a reward for patiently waiting.

I ask because I can take a magazine to read at work but possesion of a tablet could see me dismissed.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone been totting up the weathering 'made easy' articles that have been published in the model press over the last year or so?  In the old days we used to make things now we just seem to want to cover everything in muck :O  

• Administrators

Here's a list of what's in the July issue of BRM. The Digital Edition is available to download from £2.49 on Friday!

Weathering Made Easy. We show you how!

Andy York offers a step-by-step guide to weathering a Hornby 52xx in work-stained condition. He uses the Humbrol Weathering Powders which you can get for free with this month’s great subscription offer! Also, you can win this locomotive in our great competition!

Exclusive interview: Hornby’s new chairman

Andy York interviews Hornby’s new chairman, Roger Canham.

4 Fantastic Layouts

The layouts this month include the OO gauge Billingborough, London Charwall (OO), Barnstoneworth in N and Leeds City in OO.

Mini-MSW - Part 3

In the final part of our Mini-MSW series, Alan Whitehouse explains how to constructed the Over Head Line Equipment for his 2mm layout.

Black Country Blues

How to BCB team built the canal and Lock Keeper’s Cottages.

Practical BRM

Improve your modelling with no fewer than eight Practical BRM articles: make N gauge fencing, detail a Heljan Class 26, soldering brass coach kits, weathering a Hornby 52xx, weathering with an airbrush, building with natural materials, construct a GWR breakdown train and modernise the Bachmann Pendon Pub.

What’s New

This month we have four-pages of the latest new launches plus a full review of Dapol’s N gauge Westerns, Dapol’s Class 22 in OO and N and the Graham Farish Class 70.  

And…

All the latest news

Tried and Tested

Diary Dates

Letters

• Administrators

Hi all,

We have a great subscription offer this month. Subscribe for just £10.99 by quarterly direct debit and we'll send you over £30 of Humbrol Weathering Products. These are the same products that Andy York used in his article in the July issue, and on the Hornby 52xx which features on the front of the magazine.

For more information and to order online, click here. Be quick though as we only have limited stock!

Click here to read Andy's Blog about using the products.

post-14186-0-34756200-1370514636.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Anyone been totting up the weathering 'made easy' articles that have been published in the model press over the last year or so?  In the old days we used to make things now we just seem to want to cover everything in muck :O  

Does this count as another :jester:

Hi all,

We have a great subscription offer this month. Subscribe for just £10.99 by quarterly direct debit and we'll send you over £30 of Humbrol Weathering Products. These are the same products that Andy York used in his article in the July issue, and on the Hornby 52xx which features on the front of the magazine.

For more information and to order online, click here. Be quick though as we only have limited stock!

Click here to read Andy's Blog about using the products.

attachicon.gifSubs_Offer_humbrol.jpg

Hi all,

Here's a sneak preview of our July issue front cover. As you can see, we've gone for something very different.

I'm afraid it is a dislike from me for the cover...

Why do so called graphic designers, include a rather good photo (I'm sure it would be an excelent weathering job if we could see it fully...), then go and plaster captions and irrelevant graphics all over it!! (I assume Andy didn't put those sticky labels on the actual model did he.... :scratchhead:)

Why do those of us who like a paper copy have to wait a week nearly after the digital version has been released? If anything the digital one should come second with the lower price a reward for patiently waiting.

I ask because I can take a magazine to read at work but possesion of a tablet could see me dismissed.

I feel it's a pity that the brand editor has chosen to completely ignore this very valid point. Is it good business practice to ignore dissent or complaint and "carry on regardless" with the delivery of company propaganda?

Great one guess who subscribed last month !!

Has anone seen the Humbrol weathering paints for sale in a shop ?

yes, I've bought a couple. still getting to grips with them though. maybe the magazine will enlighten me some more.

I think they cost 3.50-4 quid or so in shops.

Hi Steve.

Back in February you promised,

"I am currently reviewing the prices of our overseas subscriptions and will aim to come back to you with a favourable response very soon.

Thanks,

Steve"

We're into June now & still nothing ?

• Administrators

I feel it's a pity that the brand editor has chosen to completely ignore this very valid point. Is it good business practice to ignore dissent or complaint and "carry on regardless" with the delivery of company propaganda?

Hi,

Apologies for the time it has taken to reply. I've been out of the office for much of the week. Now is the first chance I've had to catch-up on RMweb. James did PM me direct with regards to his question, which I replied to straight away. If anyone ever has any questions, and would like a pretty quick answer, it's always best to email me: stevec@warnersgroup.co.uk. I try to get on RMweb as much as possible, but at the moment we have some pretty huge projects on the go which means I am out of the office a fair bit.

Anyway, to publically answer James' question: BRM Digital Editions always go on-sale on the Friday before the printed magazine publication date, which is the same day that subscribers should (post permitting) get their copies.

Many thanks,

Steve

• Administrators

Hi Steve.

Back in February you promised,

"I am currently reviewing the prices of our overseas subscriptions and will aim to come back to you with a favourable response very soon.

Thanks,

Steve"

We're into June now & still nothing ?

Hi,

I have spent ages reviewing our prices and looking at ways of doing this cheaper. However, the short answer is that our Worldwide price of £99.99 is the best we can do. I know all of our competitors offer WW subscriptions much cheaper, but there is no way we can do the same without losing money per subscription (I want to keep my job :scratchhead:) . It's not for me to comment on how they are able to offer a WW subscription so cheap, all I can do is work on the facts from a BRM point of view. 

The old BRM WW subscription price of £79.99 meant that in some countries (it's cheaper to post to some countries compared to others), we'd be losing money.

I am sorry this isn't the reponse a lot of you were hoping for. I have tried...

A Digital subscription is a great alternative (£26.99): www.model-railways-live.co.uk/digital

Steve

• Administrators

Hi Graham,

If you ever have a question that requires a quick answer, my direct email is stevec@warnersgroup.co.uk. If I am out of the office I can pick up emails on my phone and aim to respond within 24-hours. I can't always get on RMweb, so some questions can go unanswered for a few days.

Steve

Hi,

I have spent ages reviewing our prices and looking at ways of doing this cheaper. However, the short answer is that our Worldwide price of £99.99 is the best we can do. I know all of our competitors offer WW subscriptions much cheaper, but there is no way we can do the same without losing money per subscription (I want to keep my job :scratchhead:) . It's not for me to comment on how they are able to offer a WW subscription so cheap, all I can do is work on the facts from a BRM point of view. 

The old BRM WW subscription price of £79.99 meant that in some countries (it's cheaper to post to some countries compared to others), we'd be losing money.

I am sorry this isn't the reponse a lot of you were hoping for. I have tried...

A Digital subscription is a great alternative (£26.99): www.model-railways-live.co.uk/digital

Steve

Hi Steve.

Thank you for the reply but I think you misunderstood my question.

My initial question way way back was 

"Why is it cheaper to buy 12 copies of the magazine individually including postage than it is to take out a yearly subscription including postage  to ROI & Europe" ?

• Administrators

Hi Steve.

Thank you for the reply but I think you misunderstood my question.

My initial question way way back was 

"Why is it cheaper to buy 12 copies of the magazine individually including postage than it is to take out a yearly subscription including postage  to ROI & Europe" ?

Thanks for the email Tony. I've just replied.

• RMweb Gold

Just been reading the Billingborough article on my Tablet, now this is nice - I looked up the various locations on Google Maps as I worked my way through the article, switching between apps as I went. Really enhanced the experience. Now Steve, what about adding links to maps etc to the digital versions where the model is based on a real location?

The old station at Rippingale looks like my ideal sort of place to live (not sure SWMBO would agree though :lol: )

• RMweb Premium

Hello Steve 1980,

Can I draw your attention to and ask you to comment on something I've noticed creeping in to the presentation in BRM, which at the moment is just a minor irritation, but could become a problem if not addressed.

I'm pointing up captions overprinted on or intruding into photographs using type/print of a very similar or, in one case, exactly the same colour as the photo itself.

As examples, I'd ask you to look at page 68 of the June edition and page 51 of the July issue.

In the first instance I had particular difficulty in reading the top three lines of the caption on the bottom left corner of the page where white type almost merges into the light earth and white background.

In the July issue the first two lines of the caption about Jubilee No 45581, again in white print, completely disappear into  the very light colour of the photograph skyline and I've found it impossible to read the parts of the caption affected.

I think it would be much better if captions were always either printed outside the photograph, or where this is not possible that the type colour should always be distinct from any background onto which it may be printed.

Regards,

John

• Administrators

Hello Steve 1980,

Can I draw your attention to and ask you to comment on something I've noticed creeping in to the presentation in BRM, which at the moment is just a minor irritation, but could become a problem if not addressed.

I'm pointing up captions overprinted on or intruding into photographs using type/print of a very similar or, in one case, exactly the same colour as the photo itself.

As examples, I'd ask you to look at page 68 of the June edition and page 51 of the July issue.

In the first instance I had particular difficulty in reading the top three lines of the caption on the bottom left corner of the page where white type almost merges into the light earth and white background.

In the July issue the first two lines of the caption about Jubilee No 45581, again in white print, completely disappear into  the very light colour of the photograph skyline and I've found it impossible to read the parts of the caption affected.

I think it would be much better if captions were always either printed outside the photograph, or where this is not possible that the type colour should always be distinct from any background onto which it may be printed.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

Very good point. I'll make the designer aware.

Thanks,

Steve

Archived