BRM - July 2013 issue

SteveCole

I'm pointing up captions overprinted on or intruding into photographs using type/print of a very similar or, in one case, exactly the same colour as the photo itself.

Anyone who has dyslexia or any form of visual sensitivity will find huge problems when designers try being clever like this. I gave up on one motoring magazine for a long time as I simply couldn't read their text and colour combinations.

Steve, what's Warner's policy on accessibility within their publications for those with specific learning disabilities?

• RMweb Gold

Without trawling through every copy I own I can't be 100% certain but from a quick look at the issues I have digitally it seems that track plans are included unless the article is a continuation from a previous issue.

Without trawling through every copy I own I can't be 100% certain but from a quick look at the issues I have digitally it seems that track plans are included unless the article is a continuation from a previous issue.

One of the four layouts in this issue doesn't have a trackplan (London Charwall) but it's a straightforward layout otherwise your point holds true Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Good interview with Roger Canham. I liked the quote people like Hornby just not what we have been doing recently. Hopefully he's going to get them back on track (no pun intended). Looks from what he is saying they might try the £200 high fidelity without sound loco to test if there is a market there.

The only thing I can see missing is no reference to QC. People need to buy logos , especially if they have to order them in advance, with certainty they will work well and to a standar. At moment they don't know if they will get L1 quality or. A 4Vep. He needs to do something on consistency. Other than that I'm heartened .

• RMweb Gold

Good interview with Roger Canham. I liked the quote people like Hornby just not what we have been doing recently. Hopefully he's going to get them back on track (no pun intended). Looks from what he is saying they might try the £200 high fidelity without sound loco to test if there is a market there.

The only thing I can see missing is no reference to QC. People need to buy logos , especially if they have to order them in advance, with certainty they will work well and to a standar. At moment they don't know if they will get L1 quality or. A 4Vep. He needs to do something on consistency. Other than that I'm heartened .

Generally I agree - it was a very encouraging interview and I think there is some hope for the future with the 'new broom' although I do wonder what they're going to manage for £200 :O  at point of sale, sounds a bit to me like going a little too far in the opposite direction.  And yes, overall a pretty good issue although I wasn't keen on the cover design - apart from the pic at the heart of it ;) .

although I do wonder what they're going to manage for £200 :O  at point of sale, sounds a bit to me like going a little too far in the opposite direction. 

The question in the article is edited down; I did ask (to challenge the notion of current pricing I placed a nominal top-end price) whether Hornby would feel there's a market for the high-end product at a premium price so it's probably fairer to read the response in that context that consideration could be given to test the high-end a little more.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

have you seen the you tube videos from Humbrol on using the weathering products?

I posted all of the ones available at the time, there could be more now, they do seem really good though link below if you have missed them:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63410-weathering-powders/?p=920826

Cheers

Ian

yes, I've bought a couple. still getting to grips with them though. maybe the magazine will enlighten me some more.

I think they cost 3.50-4 quid or so in shops.

Andy, I think my comment re- track plans was prompted more by Calder Dale in the June issue. Here was a  large layout where it was very difficult to imagine how the layout looked/worked without the track plan. I still stand by my comment that a track plan does put the photographs and text into context.

Andy, I think my comment re- track plans was prompted more by Calder Dale in the June issue. 

I'd certainly agree with you in that instance Alan; sometimes it can be dependent on the owner providing the right information to enable the professionally produced plans to be drawn up to scale (rather than assuming it's anything to do with style over content).

fwiw, this is one of the few areas where I think BRM could be more consistent. other magazines always include track plans, and I agree that they help us stitch the pictures together in our minds.

plus, who doesn't like to look at track plans? :)

I'd certainly agree with you in that instance Alan; sometimes it can be dependent on the owner providing the right information to enable the professionally produced plans to be drawn up to scale (rather than assuming it's anything to do with style over content).

Ian Wilson, himself a modeller, who draws all our track plans, is very fastidious over getting them absolutely correct and to scale - he's even corrected some owners plans where they've been a bit sloppy! His argument is that someone might like to reproduce the plans as a layout for themselves, so it should be accurate. Sadly with Calder Dale there were not enough photos of the track layout and the owners couldn't come up with a  reasonable trackplan due to the layout being extended piece-meal. We do try to provide a plan but occasionally there are factors which prevent this.

• Administrators

Hi all,

If you haven't seen the latest issue yet, here are a few magazine spreads to (hopefully) whet your appetite.

post-14186-0-89752900-1371826891.jpg

post-14186-0-43444200-1371826892.jpg

post-14186-0-92308300-1371826892.jpg

post-14186-0-46470100-1371826893.jpg

post-14186-0-15157100-1371826894.jpg

post-14186-0-05778800-1371826895.jpg

Remember, we have a great subscription offer this month: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Store/1122-999/Subscriptions/FREE_Humbrol_Weathering_Powders

The magazine is in shops now, or available to download as a Digital Edition: www.model-railways-live.co.uk/magazine

Have a great weekend everyone.

Steve & the BRM Team

Hi.

Can you make them bigger please. I cant read them.

Thanks

Missy :)

Probably part of a dastardly plan to tempt you into buying the magazine rather than recreate a "Smiffs" reading room on RMWeb.

Archived