Good model shops near Warrington?

sub39h

Hi guys,

I am getting some work done from Grimy Times and am planning on dropping the stuff off in person. (There are a few items and with the new postage costs once it's all adequately insured it will be cheaper for me to drive over from Leeds where I'll be visiting my parents for a few days.)

Whilst I'm there I was planning on visiting a few model shops to sort of make the trip more worthwhile. So anything on the way from Leeds to Warrington is the catchment. Ideally I'd like a shop with a good range of 2nd hand 00 gauge items as I am looking for a few things that are no longer being produced. If it makes much of a difference I am interested in BR sectorisation period, and just before this.

Thanks!

Railway Junction is also a good model railway shop in Warrington. Lots of new & s/hand at reasonable prices. I got a new Bachman Director just a bit cheaper than Hattons. 

http://www.railwayjunction.co.uk/

About a mile to the north east of the town centre, easy parking in side street across the road. Check his opening times by phone before calling.

Brit15

Agree on Railway Junction, working in Warrington i sometimes find myself in there!

You could also try Locoshed at Whitefield, just off the M60 - it's on your route and always has a few locos of interest in the cabinet.

Is there still G&I models up from the town centre and there was also one near the big sainsburys sorry can't remember the road names but I think the sainsburys one was Manchester road. Used to go in the railway junction he was always miserable until you bought something!

Pity Penketh models opened up 20 years since I left penketh would have been ideal!

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

called in penketh models today on my way to work, picked up a couple of knightwing kits i have been eyeing up on ebay which i was happy about, they were cheaper than on there and saved me a few quid on postage too

the young lad serving was pleasant, good selection of 2nd hand stuff as already mentioned by others, a bit of a mish mash though, worth spending a little bit of time looking at the box ends as it may be easy to miss that item you have been really after!

couple of down sides, the other customer in there liked to talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, so much so that i very nearly just walked out as the young lad couldn't break away to help me with my query but thats not their fault

worst of all however the place stunk of wet dog which is a "pet" hate of mine, i couldn't see a dog in the shop so i wondered if it was coming from the vets next door, it was very off putting though, i felt itchy as if i had dog hair on me after i left!

so, in my personal opinion a good shop stock wise, let down by the presentation sorry

Hi Jim, I have been in a few times, I got a good lot of Metcalfe kits form there, like you say, you have too browse, and browse carefully as you may miss that elusive bargain or item you may have been after, when I was in the young lad was updating their website, but was he did point out all I had to do was ask, there was another bloke in "not the owner he is a top Guy" I am not sure whether he worked there or not, but he pestered the backside off me, as I was browsing he asked what era and models was I after, i was polite and told him my era, and he just went on and on about this and that item in stock, it got too the point where I had to be a little curt with him so he just leave me alone, there is being helpful and then there is being a pain in the @r$e.

But overall a good "old style" model shop with a good selection in, plenty of tools and accessories also, not just a box shifting shop.

the guy going on wasn't anything to do with the shop, but every time he went to leave he stopped by the door and remembered something else he just had to tell the young lad!!

I think he was probably the same guy !! The one who badgered me looked a bit of a Rocker style bloke, needed to discover the Lynx effect !! if you get my drift !!

• 2 months later...

called in penketh models today on my way to work, picked up a couple of knightwing kits i have been eyeing up on ebay which i was happy about, they were cheaper than on there and saved me a few quid on postage too

the young lad serving was pleasant, good selection of 2nd hand stuff as already mentioned by others, a bit of a mish mash though, worth spending a little bit of time looking at the box ends as it may be easy to miss that item you have been really after!

couple of down sides, the other customer in there liked to talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, so much so that i very nearly just walked out as the young lad couldn't break away to help me with my query but thats not their fault

worst of all however the place stunk of wet dog which is a "pet" hate of mine, i couldn't see a dog in the shop so i wondered if it was coming from the vets next door, it was very off putting though, i felt itchy as if i had dog hair on me after i left!

so, in my personal opinion a good shop stock wise, let down by the presentation sorry

it's cat - wet dog most definitely does not smell like that! and the owner has cats as well lol

anyway thanks to everyone for your help. some great suggestions and i managed to visit most of them and pick up the odd item i was after

Archived