Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gresley parcels coaches

PGC

Here's  hoping this is the right area to post this question!

I'm building a 4mm Ian Kirk kit for a Gresley non-corridor full parcels brake. I believe that this could be to either Diagram 129 or 284 - it seems the only difference is that D129 was fitted out with racks to carry  pigeons for racing while D284 was for general use.

I'm looking for photos of the carriages - I have 2, both of D129 and in Michael Harris' books "Gresleys coaches" and LNER carriages", but neither of these photos clearly show the underframe details and I want to find out at the very least how many battery boxes they had and the size of them and where they were.

I've spent ages on Google and other search engines looking for photos but to no avail (because of my job, I know how to make the internet work, but I'm not much use at using it, according to my better half!) so could anyone kindly point me in the direction of photos or supply me with underframe details for these carriages.

Many thanks

Phil

Thanks - they do and one was winging its way before I posted, but I'd still like to find photos if possible.

I'm building a 4mm Ian Kirk kit for a Gresley non-corridor full parcels brake. I believe that this could be to either Diagram 129 or 284 - it seems the only difference is that D129 was fitted out with racks to carry  pigeons for racing while D284 was for general use.

I'm looking for photos of the carriages - I have 2, both of D129 and in Michael Harris' books "Gresleys coaches" and LNER carriages", but neither of these photos clearly show the underframe details and I want to find out at the very least how many battery boxes they had and the size of them and where they were.

I've spent ages on Google and other search engines looking for photos but to no avail (because of my job, I know how to make the internet work, but I'm not much use at using it, according to my better half!) so could anyone kindly point me in the direction of photos or supply me with underframe details for these carriages.

Many thanks

Phil

I can find 4 photos in Harris' books, all D.129. 

2178 & 70276 (6791) in LNER Standard coaches

70256 (6765) in LNER Carriages

6768 in Gresley's Coaches.

702276 has an angle truss underframe, all the others have turnbuckle underframes. Angle truss underframes would also have been fitted to 6784 (70275) and all of D.284

70256, 2178 & 6768 have a single battery box (long), and a regulator box beneath the guard's door on the ducket side.

702276 has a single battery box on the ducket side

2178 also has what looks a fat pipe and some sort of gadget on the ducket side between the regulator box and the brake cylinder. This one was built with dual brakes so this may have been the westinghouse brake cylinder and air tank. These gear would have been removed in the early thirties.

Hope this helps.

I can find 4 photos in Harris' books, all D.129. 

2178 & 70276 (6791) in LNER Standard coaches

70256 (6765) in LNER Carriages

6768 in Gresley's Coaches.

702276 has an angle truss underframe, all the others have turnbuckle underframes. Angle truss underframes would also have been fitted to 6784 (70275) and all of D.284

70256, 2178 & 6768 have a single battery box (long), and a regulator box beneath the guard's door on the ducket side.

702276 has a single battery box on the ducket side

2178 also has what looks a fat pipe and some sort of gadget on the ducket side between the regulator box and the brake cylinder. This one was built with dual brakes so this may have been the westinghouse brake cylinder and air tank. These gear would have been removed in the early thirties.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bill - that most certainly helps, especially as 70256 is the carriage I'm modelling.

Phil

Archived