Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Thanks Matthew, that's really kind of you to say so. We are in Railway Modeller this month (August 2014 issue) and Paul Bason's photos are great, but the backscene didn't fare well with the professional photography lighting i'm afraid. It looks better in the 'flesh' so to speak!

sb67 I did toy with the idea of extending under the bridge. Ideally i'd liked to have run my rake of RMC hoppers and include an unloading facility for stone. But to shunt them around i'd need to extend the other end too!....  I think it'll stay in it's current self contained state as i've moved on to the next project now.

Edited by neal cooper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal,

Lovely layout. Really nicely done with a "consistent" feel across the whole of the scenic area. As others have said, the impressionistic cityscape on the backscene is especially effective.

I'm hoping to make it to the n gauge international show, and look forward to seeing it there!

Cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...

Great layout Neal,  bet you and Callum must be well pleased with it.  Have read your article in the August RM.  Must have been quite a contrast after modelling in 0 scale....  

Regards

John

Great layout Neal,  bet you and Callum must be well pleased with it.  Have read your article in the August RM.  Must have been quite a contrast after modelling in 0 scale....  

Regards

John

Hi John,

Yes, it was a contrast, but the details I added in N were no smaller than the details I add in O! The layout was essentially a testbed to see how I got on modelling in N and meeting Callum's aspirations for hands off control and working lighting. Of course he wants DCC operation now! Another steep learning curve and a bundle of money if I go for it!

Cheers, Neal.

These photos was taken by Paul Bason for the Railway Modeller article featuring Horseblock Lane published in July 2014 edition but not selected for inclusion in the article. It has been re-sized for posting here and used with the kind permission of Paul Bason.

Now that the August edition is out I felt it was time to share them with you all. I think they add some different views to those i've managed to capture with my amatuer efforts! Hope you like them. The rest will follow as I get time over the next few days and weeks.

Regards, Neal.

post-11463-0-29376000-1408207344.jpg

post-11463-0-11205900-1408207370.jpg

post-11463-0-80637000-1408207416.jpg

• Like 4

A few more of Paul Bason's photos.

These photos was taken by Paul Bason for the Railway Modeller article featuring Horseblock Lane published in July 2014 edition but not selected for inclusion in the article. It has been re-sized for posting here and used with the kind permission of Paul Bason.

post-11463-0-09473300-1408261271.jpg

post-11463-0-91679600-1408261297.jpg

post-11463-0-12498600-1408261328.jpg

post-11463-0-23669100-1408261385.jpg

post-11463-0-27536300-1408261414.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Graham, I'm glad you noticed them! I've tried to avoid cliched scenarios and just try and model what I see out there. One advantage of modelling relatively up to date eras. The wagon works is probably a bit too neat and I'd go for a much more ramshackle set up for it if I was starting again. I'm enjoying seeing your layout develop. I think my son will be sending me down the DCC route before too long, it's ideal for a set up like this.

Cheers, Neal.

Neil,

Congrats on the win, A really nice just an amazing detail lots to see and very technically pleasing regarding the actual train movements especially in such a small space!

Although you say the photos didn't do it any favours it just makes it a teaser for anyone like myself who hasn't seen it in the flesh.

But I Know where I am be coming now for hints and tips :maninlove:

• Like 1

Neil,

Congrats on the win, A really nice just an amazing detail lots to see and very technically pleasing regarding the actual train movements especially in such a small space!

Although you say the photos didn't do it any favours it just makes it a teaser for anyone like myself who hasn't seen it in the flesh.

But I Know where I am be coming now for hints and tips :maninlove:

It was specifically designed around a kick back siding holding 5 PCA wagons. Everything needs running around except straight deliveries to the wagon works followed by a light engine departure.

The photos have washed out the backscene due to them being properly lit for the photos!

Always happy to give an opinion but I don't ever believe I have all the answers when it comes to detailing! If anyone wants to see the layout close up, we will be at The International N Gauge Show September 13th and 14th. After that, we have invites to Letchworth this year, Shoeburyness next year and a few irons in the fire for Enfield and Milton Keynes. It'd be interseting to take the layout a bit further afield sometime.

Cheers, Neal.

Edited by neal cooper

• 1 month later...

HI Neil,

Well got a chance to see the layout first hand at TINGS and well it's better in the flesh than on the picture (unlike me).

Worked really well and there is a hell of a  lot of detail in such a small layout it is really go and pleasing on the eye!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a fantastic layout. I have a similar loading sidding for PCA wagons; did you scratch build the piping that runs along the track or modify a kit? Looking to do something similar on Gloucester Road

Thank you

Sorry, i've only just seen your post! The pipes were scrath-built using brass I section and rod, with some rubber tube that was left over from an O gauge Diesel kit for the flexible hoses.

We are at Letchworth show in Stotfold tomorrow if anyone is in the area. http://www.letchworthmrs.org.uk/exhibition/ Come along and say hello!

• 2 months later...

Horseblock Lane will have a run out at the following exhibitions this year.

Enfield Town on 27th June

Chelmsford on 24th October

Shoeburyness on 21st and 22nd November

We are available to fill in at short notice at exhibitions needing to fill a 6x6 foot space as long as we can rustle up a crew! If we fit the bill please e-mail me at nealscooper@aol.com.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Neal,

It was good to meet you at the Beaconsfield show and very nice to see Horseblock Lane.  Seeing it in the flesh underlines just what a neat design it is - and how well you've managed to create a location that does not feel cramped or undersized, yet is actually remarkably compact.

And thanks for the heads-up on those buffer-stops!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Show invite update! We have committed to exhibit at the following shows.

East Ham (East London Finescale) 7th and 8th November 2015. http://www.ehmrc.org.uk/exhibs.html

St Albans (Chiltern MRA) 16th and 17th January 2016. http://www.cmra.org.uk/stalbans.html

Luton April 9th 2016.

Basildon 2nd and 3rd July 2016.

Whitewebbs Transport Museum, Enfield, 24th September 2016.

Wycrail 5th November 2016.

Edited by neal cooper

• 2 months later...