Sin City - 33rd Street Switching

The big truck on the left is a Matchbox Scania (The trailer is from Herpa I think) - 1:90 scale - found in a toy box at the local charity warehouse some while back. The others  are largely Malibu "Fresh Cherries" bought on ebay - Walmart (US) used to sell them but I don't think they do any more - the red truck is from Boley - same problem but look about on ebay for both - particularly the dot com version.  Ebay.de have stuff occasionally from Herpa, Busch  and others - worth keeping an eye on

Edited by shortliner

Also worth keeping an eye on what is available from Hong Kong/China/Japan in 1:87 scale, if you want newer cars/trucks bearing in mind that a fair number of the prototypes are imported into the USA, and around the world - they may be too new for your requirements. in USA also look at classic metal works - and if you want to modify trucks look at Dennis Austs site for accessories and bits  http://www.87thscale.info/dennis_aust.htm

Edited by shortliner

I'm not sure if this guy still does vehicles - but worth querying - tell him I sent you if you email - He is one of the good guys - no connection apart from a satisfied customer

www.bobthetrainguy.com

July 8, 2013

Bob Bowditch

740-972-0171

bob@bobthetrainguy.com

When in doubt regarding any items availability please call or email me.

My inventory is current but may have some glitches. I will do my best to have the inventory correct.

Don't you just hate the fine print!

All mistakes are unintentional! I will make you happy with a replacement, refund or store credit!

Have fun shopping!

Thanks,

Bob

RMB Marketing LLC

60 Sunrise Point Dr

Bluffton, SC 29909

740-972-0171

bob@bobthetrainguy.com

www.bobthetrainguy.com

Robert Bowditch

bobthetrainguy

Edited by shortliner

I'll try - and hopefully pictures, as they tell me, = 1000 words, they will help too

once again this was made using an off-cut of the plasticsoffit board, squared up and cut. Strips were cut and fixed to the ends(screwed and glued_ and the traverser board cur to fit between them alloing a VERY small amount of "slop" for adjustment. The runners are a pair from a very old computer desk that must be at least 12 years old. The first pic shows the underside of the traverser and the runners The double strips at the "bolt together" end were done to prevent the T-nuts in the outer one catching on the traverser - bolts come through from the main board

attachicon.gifDSCF0202.JPG

the next picture shows another view of the rear of thge lower runner and the jack-plug cable that links the two boards and plugs into both for power

attachicon.gifDSCF0203.JPG

The next picture shows the rails at the join - a thin piece of plasticard was inserted under the track on the main board to bring the rails up to a matching level, The traverser rail ends have plasticard superglued to the underside of the sleepers where the rails cross the strips tp make sure they dont catch

attachicon.gifDSCF0204.JPG

Next photo shows the track power switches - mounted on the traverser because it keeps them out of the way, but handy

attachicon.gifDSCF0206.JPG

Next photo shows how the runners were supported  with a piece of cork tile under the soffit-board strip with the runner on top, and the traverser board on top of that

attachicon.gifDSCF0207.JPG

A further photo showing the link cable between the two boards - all loose wiring on the boards themselves are attached with hot glue

attachicon.gifDSCF0208.JPG

Last photo shows the bolt that fits through the traverser, and into a T-nut in the base, to lock the traverser for travel purposes - removed before use

attachicon.gifDSCF0209.JPG

Hope that helps - if you need more let me know

Thanks for that, Jack - very helpful.

No problem with answering questions - not that I always know the answer of course  :no:

Have done little - apart from running my new (ebay) SW1500, that arrived at lunchtime, up and down the track to check it out! Runs fine! The switches (not turnouts) that I fitted to control the tracks on the traverser have been changed out - the ones I got in Maplins were SPDTCO (centre off) though I didn't realise it at the time, and, whilst doing the trick, were a bit of a pain - poking about in the cupboard I found some that look exactly the same, but are SPDT - so they now work as I intended - Off or Live, making life a lot more sensible  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sin City - 33rd Street Yard is going to be shown at the Inverness & District MRC Exhibition, 7/8 September in the Mercure Hotel

Saturday 10am - 5pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm. I'll get some photos of it and post them on here - please note that it will still be a work in progress) - but it will be great to see anyone who comes along , and hopefully have a chat

Edited by shortliner

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see you again Colin, and also Chris-Shay yesterday, along with various other people who looked and made nice comments, and asked lots of questions about the MRC Synchro Sound Box running with the amplified computer speakers (turned well down, of course). I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow. The real strange thing was that while I was setting up on Friday evening - everyone else had done it much earlier -the hotel had a coach tour of Australian tourists staying the night and departing to Edinburgh on Saturday morning. A Gentleman and his wife obviously saw the lights and heard me testing the sound system, and looked around the door and asked questions. They were very sorry not to be able to attend the show, and talking to them, discovered that he is a conductor on the Puffing Billy Railway back home - which I had been looking at on Youtube a couple of days earlier - coincidence is a strange thing!

Edited by shortliner

Okay, some more photos as promised

post-6688-0-39774000-1378722293_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-44501900-1378722275_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-70964300-1378722291_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-52455800-1378722289_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-66536600-1378722287_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-64314600-1378722285_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-52814600-1378722283_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-76925600-1378722281_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-17318900-1378722279.jpg

post-6688-0-53615300-1378722277_thumb.jpg

Not honestly sure if this will go any further - in my capacity as a serial layout builder, a couple of other ideas are scritching about at the back of my brain

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

It was good to finally see this layout in the flesh and chat about 'the Dark side'! That track plan has a great deal of scope in a pretty compact footprint so there is plenty of options for switching all day...

See you at the next show!

Chris

Looking good Jack, you are onto a winner here IMHO. I'm like you, too many ideas, not enough time (5 days till my operation so starting something new is not an option atm). I am managing to get a bit of modelling done though, laid some track today, hopefully do some more tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 years later...

Andrew - yes - it went to one exhibition at Inverness and then got overtaken by my usual problem of me becoming distracted by further thoughts and ideas - the track-plan makes for a very good switching layout though and was fun to operate  in Lance Mindheim style (s-l-o-w-l-y-!).

Have a great Christmas and New Year, everybody

Best

Jack

• Like 1

Current layout is an HO version of Jordans Portway Terminal - on 2 x boards 8" wide that clamp together in the centre.  These boards consist of 2 boards each, that bolt together and are one @ 48" long and one @ 18" long t5herefore a total length of 66" x 2 or 11 ft overall.  They sit on a pair of ironing boards (a much more sensible use for the things!) and are currently runnable track only with no scenery (which may well consist mainly of roads and backscene flats). I can't show you a trackplan as the original seems to have disappeared from his post on <TI Forum

Edited by shortliner

• 3 years later...

Long gone I'm afraid  -  currently playing with different backscene ideas for Fiddlestick Switch Job (you may be able to find it in the archives) - and changing scenery on it - I also picked up a picture of a US City night scene for £3 at our local charity warehouse to use as a backscene - so some ideas trundling around in my noggin atm -of course something else may catch my gadfly attention in the meantime! That is what usually happens.

Edit Fiddlestick Switch Job can be found here -

Edited by shortliner