Eurotunnel Model

NGaugeTom

Hi all,

Whilst growing up Dad spent 8 years working on the Channel Tunnel and as a result a large portion of my childhood was dedicated to watching the huge N gauge model at the exhibition centre in Folkestone. Unfortunately, at the age of 7 when the exhibition centre closed, I had been unable to persuade the powers that be to purchase any of the kits or loco's I fondly remember in the shop.

I'd like to build a scaled down version of the Cheriton terminal in Folkestone, enabling me to run up to four shuttles, 2 Eurostars on the HighSpeed thru tracks and some mixed freight. I've recently managed to acquire two motorised Le Shuttle loco's and one non-motorised one, I'm on the hunt for another non-motorised loco now to enable me to complete two sets.

If I can get hold of this I will start to build the rest of the rolling stock, one freight (lorry) train and a car carrying one.

The idea is to model four of the 10 tracks of the platforms and a scaled down version of the maintenance depot on the loop with the three high speed Eurostar lines slowly climbing out of the tunnel entrance.

I'd love to build this layout and if all goes to plan do some exhibitions with it at a later date...here's hoping I can find the non-motorised Le Shuttle.

Tom

Good luck with this, Tom; at the same time as you were watching the models, I was working part-time 'behind the scenes' on the model. Part of it (the UK Terminal) still exists at the small railway museum at Peene, just behind the terminal; this is open on weekends and bank holidays.

As I recollect, the models used were supplied by Chris Marchant of CJM Models; it might be worth contacting him to see if he's got anything still.

If you want to model more recent operations, then many of the second-generation (Arbel) HGV wagons have had their canopies completely or partially removed, which might make modelling them a bit simpler. 

It's worth looking out for a copy of ' Channel Tunnel Trains', published by Channel Tunnel Publications; it's got some useful photos and drawings.

These days, I work on the real thing, though I still refer to going to work as 'Off to play trains...

Out of interest, what did your dad do down here? My wife was part of the original ET team at the Control Centre, working there from 1991, and so knows a lot of people who were involved.

Good luck with your efforts.

• RMweb Gold

I did see some of the kits on a second hand traders stand recently at a number of shows. Cant remember who it was or where though but its worth keeping an eye out on these stands at shows.

If I see them again I will make a note of the trader (s).

ian

Good luck with this, Tom; at the same time as you were watching the models, I was working part-time 'behind the scenes' on the model. Part of it (the UK Terminal) still exists at the small railway museum at Peene, just behind the terminal; this is open on weekends and bank holidays.

As I recollect, the models used were supplied by Chris Marchant of CJM Models; it might be worth contacting him to see if he's got anything still.

If you want to model more recent operations, then many of the second-generation (Arbel) HGV wagons have had their canopies completely or partially removed, which might make modelling them a bit simpler. 

It's worth looking out for a copy of ' Channel Tunnel Trains', published by Channel Tunnel Publications; it's got some useful photos and drawings.

These days, I work on the real thing, though I still refer to going to work as 'Off to play trains...

Out of interest, what did your dad do down here? My wife was part of the original ET team at the Control Centre, working there from 1991, and so knows a lot of people who were involved.

Good luck with your efforts.

I swear I had a copy of that book, "Channel Tunnel Trains", will see if I can dig it out.

Thanks for the info Brian, I was always so upset leaving both the model and the shop (empty handed), it was an amazing model. I'm planning a visit this Summer to see the remaining Folkstone model, looking forward too it.

I did get an email back from Chris at CJM but he has only one set of shuttles left in his personal collection. I'm really only looking for one non-motorised shuttle now, I'll keep a watchful eye out on EBay, etc.

My Dad was Commercial Director, not sure which construction company he was apart of but could certainly find out, was only 6 at the time so memories a bit faint! Fortunately though there was an engineering magazine produced for the project covering a load of the aspects, my Dad still has all the copies bound and they include a treasure-trove of plans, blueprints and pictures, this was half the inspiration for a layout, knowing I had these.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Sounds interesting...a unique project.

I have toyed with the idea myself, with the plan of a full circle layout type baseboard.

But i think the CJM loco's are actually worth more than my car! Amazing little things though.

Good luck with it all and look forward to any updates/pictures etc.

Seem to have just the ticket in terms of reference'

All the best

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

The locos (powered & dummy) appear regularly on eBay and are quite reasonably priced (about the same a new Farish/Dapol).

Less so well priced are the wagons - these often fetch upwards of £30 each! You might be better off scratch building - I think the Channel Tunnel Trains book mentioned above has drawings of the car and wagon carrying vehicles.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Thanks for the further info.

I had seen the Eurotunnel topic previously posted by Lucaszone, I think it would be really great to get a layout up and running.

I'm thinking scratch building stock is the way forward, it could take years to find items via EBay / second hand market. I will keep my eye out though and £30 isn't unreasonable, even if I just acquire 1 or 2 to assist with dimensions for scratch building.

• 2 months later...

Archived