JZ's out and about quiz. Part 3.

I did try yesterday afternoon, but by the time I finished, RMweb was downangry.gif .

So here we go again, some easy, some a bit more difficult. Not all from my travels, one or two of my Dad's and one or two from JZjr and one from an old friend no longer wih us.

1. A goods shed. When the picture was taken there was still track into it. It is now demolished. But whereicon_question.gif

97815314.jpg

2. Whereicon_question.gif . There has been a bit of discussion about this recently.

93961727.jpg

3. This is the one by my old friend Ray. Should be easy for some.

66599205.jpg

4. Another not in the West of England, but whereicon_question.gif

58248273.jpg

5. Name four loco's and their numbersicon_question.gif No bonus points for those that can name the two just out of shot right and left.

90638389.jpg

Yes, this is the right photo. And for those under 40, summers were always like thiswink.gif

OK, if I'm on a roll, is No.1 Taynuilt on the Callendar & Oban line or (grasping at straws) either Wick or Thurso

on the Far North Line?

Jim

Warm.

No 1 is LAIRG on the Farther North line

regards Ernie

It is Lairg.

Now what about 5 icon_question.gif

I have just noticed that there are actually 5 to name and number in this photo. So get your geography hats on.

If the picture is of Dartmoor, are we talking Exe, Yeo, Lyd, etc? (That last one is an abbreviation, not a suggestion)

Jim

Not Dartmoor either.

OK, I think a clue is neccessary. Nearer my God to theeicon_question.gif . Maybe not, but the Kingdom of Heavenicon_question.gif Certainly.

I thought that you said four locos'. I'll have a go anyway.

34006 Bude

34008 Padstow

34039 Boscastle

34016 Bodmin also came to mind

5011 Tintagel Castle

Good try, but all wrong I'm afraid. As for the added one, I forgot the church just in the righthand edge of the photo.

So the clues so far. I am standing in the Kingdom of Heaven as it was once known, I am facing an Atlantic with a Pacific right behind and to the left. I think there will be a Jubilee if you can get them all.

You are standing on Lundy Island 34029 facing West, and the Atantic you are facing is the Atlantic Ocean.

Right behind you on the mainland is Woolacombe 34044 and due South of you (to your left) is Bude 34006 although Hartland 34101 is probably closer.

The only Jubilee connection I can get is North West Frontier 45584 and the area of Lundy called North West Point but even I know I'm pushing my luck

with that.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Name and number please Ianwink.gif

Sore point, Julian! As far as I am concerned, the loco is No 39, an LBSCR Marsh H1 (that's the earlier type with crinkly frame). The Southern Railway decided headlands were fair game so this became 2039, Hartland Point, rather late in life. [As Hamilton Ellis's history of the LBSCR noted, headlands were alright, perhaps, but lacked a certain je ne sais quoi, as they say around here.] Behind you would thus be Hartland, 34101 - a girl in my year at skool had Hartland as a family middle name. The only Jubilee I can ever think of is Bihar & Orissa, which in my yoof was pictured in some trainspotter's annual belting though suburban Manchester. I did see a few of them but they didn't hit the spot. Yes, there's a Jubilee website, but I didn't immediately spot the Devon reference. Deb and I never got as far up the coast as Hartland Point - we tended to stop at Morwenstow, just in Cornwall, when on day-trips upcountry from Port Isaac.

Archived