• RMweb Premium

Took the day off from work around the place due to inclement weather and used the day to catch up with work on the mill.
All windows are finished now, the doors have been made and set in too.
The rooves on the lift house and tower have been made from Plastruct HO roof shingle sheet.
Some crafters acrylics have been mixed to a suitable grey in an old cheese tub and labeled which will be kept in the fridge for future use.
The first drainpipe was made using 1.5mm rod and wound twice with fine wire to represent the fixings. This took me the best part of an hour so the others just have snippets of plastic strip to hold them up which took 5 mins. each and look straight. Hoppers are two short lengths of micro srip.
post-8964-0-38219600-1398656643_thumb.jpg
post-8964-0-08481500-1398656620_thumb.jpg
post-8964-0-87226100-1398656692_thumb.jpg
post-8964-0-32460200-1398656715.jpg

• RMweb Premium

More pictures of the progress.

Here is the tower roof awaiting weathering............

post-8964-0-99973500-1398710094_thumb.jpg 

......and one of the rain water run off hoppers that I forgot to include yesterday.

post-8964-0-00381200-1398710119_thumb.jpg

These holes have been cut into the sides of the main building and tower to allow the light to shine out of the tower windows.

post-8964-0-92435500-1398710158_thumb.jpg

The LED lighting strip which Al put me onto. 300 for about $12 with free shipping. They are sticky backed and can be sniped off in banks of three.

post-8964-0-71865800-1398710181.jpg

I do not know how I forgot about this one, but it was a real enjoyable read. I think this is one of the best buildings I have seen anywhere to date. Absolutely gorgeous.

Never ever lend this out unattended after poor Darreno01 experience. This piece is fit to be in a museum.

I sm amazed Jason has not been over and kidnapped it.... :jester:

Hi Sasquatch,

you have done an excellent job on the Mill, very authentic attention to detail, you may be interested to know that in the recent MRJ there is a very good article on a Lancs/Yorks Mill industrial building by Carl Crowther, its a step by step account of its construction, worth a look if you haven't seen it.

cheers

Peter A L.

More pictures of the progress.

Here is the tower roof awaiting weathering............

attachicon.giftower roof.JPG 

......and one of the rain water run off hoppers that I forgot to include yesterday.

attachicon.gifhopper.JPG

These holes have been cut into the sides of the main building and tower to allow the light to shine out of the tower windows.

attachicon.giflight holes.JPG

The LED lighting strip which Al put me onto. 300 for about $12 with free shipping. They are sticky backed and can be sniped off in banks of three.

attachicon.gif300 LEDS.JPG

looks similar to ft's stuff on Dover Priory, he has painted using maskol, looks ok, you might want to glance in, if you have not already seen it. I've added a lin, as his thread is moving so fast

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75589-1-dover-priory-kent-a-reallocation-today-fitting-the-platform-23-surface/page-59&do=findComment&comment=1442817

• RMweb Premium

Only progress since my last post has been to workout the sizes and angles of all the roof parts and cut some out.

When my hand problems have calmed down I plan to have a big push to get this finished. In the mean time I took some pictures outside this morning.

They show the scale of the thing quite well!

Click on the images!!!!!!!

Am tempted to make the office buildings also now, or should I concentrate on the Queensbury structures. What do you think?

post-8964-0-69528700-1400002069_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-49849000-1400002085_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-68691200-1400002100_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-17445400-1400002117_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-39326800-1400002163_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-24943400-1400002180_thumb.jpg

Only progress since my last post has been to workout the sizes and angles of all the roof parts and cut some out.

When my hand problems have calmed down I plan to have a big push to get this finished. In the mean time I took some pictures outside this morning.

They show the scale of the thing quite well!

Click on the images!!!!!!!

Am tempted to make the office buildings also now, or should I concentrate on the Queensbury structures. What do you think?

staggering, just can't wait to see it in on the layout or even just a base with some colour.

Sasquach,

A very imposing and impressive building, you mentioned earlier in your post that white glue / PVA caused warping, I suspect that may be surface tension so if possible may I suggest priming both sides of any surface to equalise the aforementioned surface tension.

My own mill pales in comparison.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Believe it or not I used super glue Dave!  On the last structure stone work was scribed  directly onto the foam board with rather pleasing results and the wallet didn't even get opened!!

On the last rainy day lighting was installed and the removable roof started. We're hardly spending any time indoors now the weather is good but I'm sure once summer gets underway I'll be retreating to an air conditioned room between 11 and 5 so will have plenty time for modeling.

Shaun

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back to mill modeling .

Lights have been installed but 'am not happy with t' results. The vast structure looks hollow with them on so I have the idea to make a sub structure of an interior with floors for each story each with its own lighting!

The roof is removable also so I might just add two floor to that and drop them in from above.

The other thing is that I can't make a decision about how to finish off the roof. The prototype has a double hipped roof.

but I think the model would look better with a walled in double gable. Any opinions???????

post-8964-0-73035800-1405875267.jpg

post-8964-0-68809000-1405875330.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hipped roof mate, they have more character and are easy enough to do. Plus, if you wall in a gable then you will need to add to the height of the walls and you may struggle to match the weathering, etc.

• RMweb Premium

Good point Jason. Have already cut the parts but matching the weathering isn't too much of a problem as the paints have been premixed and saved!!

It's finding the time and having to dig deep for the energy at the end of the day to got on with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello to you Sasquatch, I'm Tex. I have only been a member since March this year and looking at all of the different talents on this web. Truly amazing skills, look forward to see some more of your talented work. You are among the masters. Cheers, Tex. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tex.

Thank you for your kind comments and welcome to RMweb.

There are links to my two layout threads and some blogs below! The main tread is Goathland, it goes a bit off topic now and then mind!

Regards Shaun. 

Archived