There are well over 100, it was filing the stone courses in them that did me in!

edit: You be the judge and look back at post #17 to see if it was worth the effort?

Yes Sasquatch, worth every minute spent, you only get out of a model what you're prepared to put into it - remember you only have to build it once, today it's a long haul, but what else was you planing to do that would be remembered in years to come - dig the garden!?

Somebody once said to me "What have you done in the last year?" then after showing them a layout and the photographs of two others I asked him "What have you done" to which he answered "Compared to that, nothing, I might as well have died"!

Cheers.

Allan.

Yes Sasquatch, worth every minute spent, you only get out of a model what you're prepared to put into it - remember you only have to build it once, today it's a long haul, but what else was you planing to do that would be remembered in years to come - dig the garden!?

Somebody once said to me "What have you done in the last year?" then after showing them a layout and the photographs of two others I asked him "What have you done" to which he answered "Compared to that, nothing, I might as well have died"!

Cheers.

Allan.

Sasquatch, this is brilliant and I am in awe of your work rate! You put me to shame, I've been two weeks on a model not anything near this size!!  Superb work...just glad you are only a mythical creature and not real or I would be seriously worried :jester:

I agree, Allan...I know a few folk who think it is a big joke to put modelmakers down, but what have they achieved...very well put, mate.

cheers,

Iain

Thanks Allan, am having trouble thinking up a name for the layout. Its needs to sum up a once visited West Riding grubby back water on a rainy day in the 40s. Needs a couple of Luftwaffe victims too me thinks.

Well judging by you fine and excellent work so far the Yorkshire words that best sum it up are Bye Eck..Which could also be a reasonable name for your finished masterpiece.

Absolutely beautiful!

Best regards and keep up the good work looking forward to much more.

Eric & Gripper.

• RMweb Premium

So far this year I've built 6 soild alder doors, an alder kitchen, oak desk  and a library.  12 buildings 15 pieces of rolling stock and  wired up a layout. I put it all down to being methodical.

Recently my  21 years with sensetive type 1 diabetes has been has been brought under controll and my energy levels have skyrocketed, so I feel like I've only just got going!  When we find a suitable property to buy I plan on putting up a building to house the railways in and I need a bigger cabinet shop (one can never have enough tools).

Loosing it in the Oregon heat! Sasquatch.

Like Mayfair or Berkley Square maybe !

But try  something like Ironbank, Grimesthorpe Mills ,Lofthouses, Stonehills or something -  in fact, come on Guys, a name for Sasquatch's layout ! 

Cheers.

Allan.

What about Satanic Mills, ?

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Now the base coat is dry I hope to find time to paint some blackened stone work today after we get back from step moms who's nurturing 9 new born border collie pups and mum. We have pick of the litter and am tempted to take two! 

• RMweb Premium

Take two puppies! yeeeaayyyy!!! You didn't tell me this thought hunny! Now he can't back out of it gentlemen! Right?! Unless he's gone wacky :crazy: from building that warehouse & dosn't realize what he's saying.

• RMweb Premium

Slow progress this week.

These two pictures demonstrate the effects of light on the stonework. Main wall has recieved second treatment of dirty wash. The first being dry brush grimey black and burnt umber. The third will be touch ups and the forth greens!

post-8964-0-54073300-1372398023_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-19071500-1372398057_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The windows are my favorite too although I'm not looking forward to it this time as there are over 100 and most need two pieces of glazing not to mention they are all a tight fit now that I

have painted the openings :scared:

Some upbeat latin music, several cups of strong tea, needle files, titanium stanley blade and at least 3 buckets of patience should do the trick.

My son is flying over on Monday so not much modeling time for the next 6 weeks. More like back country backpacking trips to the Trinity Alps and cycling arround the Cascades!!! :scared:  :scared:

Sasquatch, not liking the 108F forecast for next week.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update time.

As the evenings draw in there has been a little time for modelling, so the mill is top of my agenda.

The two story warehouse has its windows weathered and fixed. The roof is inplace made from O gauge corregated sheets with the fixings represented by punching from the rear with a suitable blunt point.

The four story warehouse extention has had its windows fitted but not fixed. I'm pleased with the way the weathering looks in the day light.  

post-8964-0-13000400-1380654798_thumb.jpg  

post-8964-0-44366300-1380655072_thumb.jpg

Absolutely fantastic. I went past the full size mill every morning on the school bus for 2 years a long way back! Just round e corner is a massive mill that has been restored and is used by Andy Thorntons as their showroom for architectural salvage and other interesting things!

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This project has been shelved for far too long. Life just gets in the way sometimes. 1/1 scale modeling mostly!
So some progress this week, the main mill has had all its windows glazed and fixed. Only 8 left to do on the tower and the 8 small staircase windows.
Hobby-Tac has been used to fix the glazing and Mod-podge (a thick kind of PVA) used to set the windows. This stuff dries slower than glue and fills gaps as it goes, enabling me to glue up 6 openings at a time and adjust each window in a row of 12. All the openings required filing out so I tapered them from the rear  and pushed them in from the back.
post-8964-0-45986800-1398494336_thumb.jpg
post-8964-0-11603200-1398494350_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That looks excellent, well observed weathering of the brickwork, not ott like some I've seen.

You and Karl Crowther have captured the feel of the dark satanic mills superbly, and you can't nip round the corner to see what the real thing looks like!

Give me "grim oop north" to trees and grass any day.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike. Still need to do the detail weathering on the main building. One thing I have noticed is that the mossy greens and stains show up more under day light, so I wont be applying this under artificial lights!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. Still need to do the detail weathering on the main building. One thing I have noticed is that the mossy greens and stains show up more under day light, so I wont be applying this under artificial lights!

You've got it just right though, it's the touches of green which add the final detail to make it completely convincing - you feel as though if you walked up and touched it, you would feel the gritty, slightly damp texture.

Absolutely nailed it.

Al.

Archived