Leaving the layout tidy while building it .

alfsboy

My small 00 plank ,5 points and a bit of straight called Lower Sodmire , and just as seedy looking  as Squire Haggards description ,suffered a major wiring fault due to a poor solder join on one of the SPDT mini switch that I use to both throw the point and wire it up too .I had to clear the layout of all clutter and turn it over .Problem soon solved I put it back the right way and did a quick test with my nearly finished Buckjumber which is completely out of place by the way on the theoretical Midlands  location of Lower Sodmire in Squire Haggards  Journal .All was well .

I then noticed just how much bigger the layout looked with no tools , no odd stock of the rails ,no Athearn MP15AC I love playing with .no Pacific Harbor line Genset waiting new handrails , no brass weights to keep the track down while I glue it in place or bits of track and a half made SMP point .I really must keep my layout clean ,its twice the size it was an hour ago .

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Mike, I would have thought the Local Planning Authority would have had a few words to say about the colour of those shops and houses!

Thats what happens when you try and save a bit on ink jet cartridges , major fading . I suppose if I

use them I could have a gang of painters on ladders redoing them .

Mess, what mess?
Mess1.jpg

In my defense, we started moving to Ireland, and then came back, so lots of mess from that, and sadly we had to clean out my partner's parents house, so there is quite a bit from that, plus a Peppa Pig ball and a trike for my little daughter, but worst of all is me.

To quote 'The Goon Show' 'I'm sorry about the mess, but we have us in.'

Jamie

Just how do you expect to find your tools quickly, if you tidy the layout up?   

A very silly concept, quite frankly.  :blum:

Besides, think of all the modelling time you'd waste if you cleaned up after yourself every time you worked on your layout.

• RMweb Gold

Thank goodness, I thought it was just me. Under the boards I like to keep a big bin liner. Trouble is I fill it up in 10 mins, then leave it full for a couple of months, slowly inserting new bits of rubbish in the few spaces that are left...

• RMweb Premium

Under my layout, well famework for a layout, are three bin liners..... one for metal, mostly aluminum each about six inches high and maybe 3 inches in diameter, another for wood off cuts and paper which go down to the house for starting the fire and another for the rest.

In the rafters above the layout are a large quatity of lengths of wood for baseboard frame work.

The Q

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness, I thought it was just me. Under the boards I like to keep a big bin liner. Trouble is I fill it up in 10 mins, then leave it full for a couple of months, slowly inserting new bits of rubbish in the few spaces that are left...

You forgot the bit about then having to empty it to find the piece of wood/card/plastic that should just fit the current project but then does not. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hana, you are absolutely right! And the bit that you try to carefully insert into the bag that then unaccountably ends up putting a hole in the side.

This is why ready to plonk resin buildings are such a boon.

Yer paper and card scratchbuild masterpiece ain't gonna last long with a tub of coachbolts, ashtray and three cans of Halfords grey primer on it!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

.I really must keep my layout clean ,its twice the size it was an hour ago .

I think it was Tony Koester who said in one of the American magazines that the trouble with a layout is that you've just built the longest shelf in your house...

• 5 months later...

Archived