• RMweb Gold

SWMBO brought me a nice conflat when we went to the Lord and Butler Show

Half an hour later it has chains fitted and weathering - dry brush with gunmetal followed by weathering powders

post-7138-0-97629500-1371760847_thumb.jpg

Starting to get to grips with the wagons - Jimbo brought me a blue grey SK for fathers day so perhaps that's the next target

Phil

They aren't bad models although as fitted vehicles they need the bar between the axleguards (small brass angle as suggested by Captain Kernow).

If you can find any, Roxey do an etch of hooks and turnbuckles which is really useful for these. As you'd expect there's also some very useful information in Geoff Kent's wagon book, volume 3.

sing_cont_zps3f645907.jpg

To get the chains taut, I replace the moulded fixing ring with a fine copper loop which goes through the end of the securing chain and is superglued into a small hole in the wagon side. Attach it such that it point up towards the container. When it's dried you can bend the copper down such that it pulls and holds the chain taut. Copper strands from electrical cable are good; fuse wire would probably do as well.

The right hand one is a Parkside Conflat S.

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder re the brace. Have some square brass that will do the job - your conflat S doesn't have one presumably because it has clasp brakes rather than single shoe?

Hadnt seen the Roxley etch but Ambis also do one - waiting for more funds, might look at replacing the chains

Interested to see you have modelled the securing chains in the same orientation as me. Should they go that way or towards the wagon centre line instead? Have done something very similar to attach to side of wagon - just failed to get them all tensioned correctly - the goods yard loading staff have obviously been slacking!

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Interested to see you have modelled the securing chains in the same orientation as me. Should they go that way or towards the wagon centre line instead?

Pictures show inward and outward facing chains, despite whatever official rules were I think local practises came into play.

The Roxey chains are a bit "chunkier" than the Ambis ones and are better for my sausage fingers.

I use .025" steel wire for the lashing rings, I find it more resilient to being bent and positioned, and fine blackened chain, both available from P & H Models. (Usual disclaimer)

Mike.

On a single A type on a wagon, outward facing are much more common in the pictures I've looked at - I'd be interested if you could point me to some pictures of a single A with inward facing chains. With the Bachmann A type on the way, I'd probably model one like that for variety.

Looking for something else earlier in the week I was struck by how often B types were carried in 3 plank opens in the earlier BR period - was there a shortage of conflats at that time? It isn't something I've conscioudly noted in Big 4 pictures.

• RMweb Gold

On a single A type on a wagon, outward facing are much more common in the pictures I've looked at - I'd be interested if you could point me to some pictures of a single A with inward facing chains. With the Bachmann A type on the way, I'd probably model one like that for variety.

It's a while since I searched for photo's so I can't remember all of the sources, but David Larkins Pre Nationalisation Wagons has W36507 loaded with a container chained thus. My research showed it to be uncommon, but not enough so to be rarely done, so I think it was down to local preferences.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

It's a while since I searched for photo's so I can't remember all of the sources, but David Larkins Pre Nationalisation Wagons has W36507 loaded with a container chained thus. My research showed it to be uncommon, but not enough so to be rarely done, so I think it was down to local preferences.

Mike.

I suspect that it was down to 'ease of doing the job' - whenever it was permissible it would be far simpler & quicker to tension the screws/chains with the chains running outwards as per the above models than with them crossing the body of the container and it also made it easier to fling them back out of the way when they were slackened off from what I saw at various depots.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike - you cant beat some knowledgeable prototypical input. And thanks for pointer to Barrowmore site Jonathan - a mine of info.

Phil

Archived