Westburyworks_zps7858c875.png

So here it is i think the very final plan for westbury works :) the orange line for the baseboard joint just there to show where the boards split for clear explanation of my above post. There will only be scenic breaks at each side of the whole layout not in the middle because the shunter may come onto the station board if i add and extra siding for cement filling. Cheers i will be printing this plan out and starting on the trackwork today :).

Great plan, part of me would be tempted to move the station (assuming you have room) off the 4x2 and on to the 8x2 whilst keeping the trackplan the same  as the longest platform you're realistically going to get on that 4x2 is 1.5ft - only just long enough for a single-car DMU/EMU.

If you move the station on to the 8x2 but keep the 4x2 as your "entrance/exit" scenic board, you'll be able to fit in a 4ft platform giving you room for a 3-car turbostar or similar.

This has the potential for an awesome layout!

Great plan, part of me would be tempted to move the station (assuming you have room) off the 4x2 and on to the 8x2 whilst keeping the trackplan the same  as the longest platform you're realistically going to get on that 4x2 is 1.5ft - only just long enough for a single-car DMU/EMU.

If you move the station on to the 8x2 but keep the 4x2 as your "entrance/exit" scenic board, you'll be able to fit in a 4ft platform giving you room for a 3-car turbostar or similar.

This has the potential for an awesome layout!

Hmm cheers for that I printed out the track plans onto a4 paper 1/1 scale so i will see if i have room to make a 2 inch platform or something at each side and a fence to seperate it from the shunting area :). If i do i may add a small cement works to the 2x4 board and a car park for the cement works and station then an over bridge on the station :).

Think it will be enough for platforms and track spacing.

Certainly should be.

In OO gauge:

2" is 50mm (give or take) which is approx 12.5ft in "real life" so probably wide enough for a platform.

6" is 125mm which is roughly 38ft in "real life" so again, wide enough for track.

Sorry for the very very crude photography but here is just a picture of how I layed out my pcb railway sleepers. I just double sided sticky taped them to the template. 

IMG_01531_zpsfc7b8c2c.jpg

As you can see i now need to cut the rails to size and then solder and gauge them.

Just a quick question. I have the two boards 4x2 feet and they are currently flat. I want to add a low level double mainline at the front of the layout then the tmd will be raised up above the mainlines to give some depth. How should i go about making a raised area for the tmd. Should I cut the mdf into a front mainline section and then using small batons raise the rear pieces up or what ?. Basically what is the best way to create a higher level without wasting too much baseboards or it looking scruffy. And I might add it need to be at least 3 inches higher than the mainline because there will be a track that diverts under the tmd. 

Just a quick question. I have the two boards 4x2 feet and they are currently flat. I want to add a low level double mainline at the front of the layout then the tmd will be raised up above the mainlines to give some depth. How should i go about making a raised area for the tmd. Should I cut the mdf into a front mainline section and then using small batons raise the rear pieces up or what ?. Basically what is the best way to create a higher level without wasting too much baseboards or it looking scruffy. And I might add it need to be at least 3 inches higher than the mainline because there will be a track that diverts under the tmd. 

Just remember that in order to rise 3" in a "controlled" manner you will probably need a 6' run of track - this may prevent you from linking the mainline and the TMD in the trackplan that you currently have.

Height is something that I always have trouble with and if you are going  to raise the TMD above the mainline then I'd either only do it by an inch or so and forget about trying to run a track underneath or have the TMD as a "stacked" second layout in a similar manner (albeit reversed!) to one of my prototype ideas:

8402483737_9ef64e3bfb_b.jpg

If you are absolutely determined to run a track under the TMD then you could try to sculpt your baseboards so that the TMD is raised by 2" and the spur that runs underneath it slopes down 1" or 2" before it runs under the TMD meaning that you'll only need about 3ft on each track to get the desired height, but that sounds like a lot of work to me!

Hope that's of some help,

Matt

Cheers for that as for the mainline tracks I should have been more clear and said that on the tmd boards they will not join up at all so the rise of an incline doesnt matter the incline will be on some off scene boards that will contain runaround loops and fiddle yard basically like an exhibition layout scenic front sections and then tracks that just lead back arround.

Sorry for no work or pictures lately things have been busy. Had a few boxing matches to attend to and this hot hot weather has had me gardening and also out with the mates. Not to mention a phone call from Microsoft about training and working for them :). I will be back working as soon as possible cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Got some free plywood other day think its about 6mm thick but I can use it for structures and higher track levels got 2 pieces. Each piece is about 16 inches wide by 6ft long think im either gona use them for high level tracks or I am going to make a double track wide half hexagon shape to bring the tracks back arround as a loop for trains to run on :)

• 3 weeks later...

Right well i purchased some spray paint matte brown primer im going to use it as the base brown for ballast weathering it might be a bit bright but once it has some darker brown and some greys added to dull it up it will look just the piece :). Also got 12ft of backboard for the back and ends of the layout.

something simple.

i've tried a few out now and think i've found something i like.

Yours is looking great.

Haha cheers :) Im actually looking forward to building this now as I have tonnes of ideas in my head for scenery and track work etc. I will check yours out after my chineese ;).

Some interesting planning here!! top work... :paint:  :sungum:

Thanks buddy :) I hope it will look eye catching when done ive got trackwork and baseboards and wiring so basicly everything to start my layout just buying little bits and bats like paint and that. I need to order some plasticard sheets and other shaped pieces to build my self a walkway and cement hopper to load up cement wagons etc. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

You will all be pleased to hear that work has actually been progressed on my layout but then there becomes problems. You may ask like what ? well I am going into the army next year so the last few months have been spent back in the gym and away from home training and getting my head together and my body back in shape for the army ! Although some good news on this means money coming in disposable income as well :) so happy me on near enough 3k a month cant complain especially when I will be able to buy new locos when I want. So yeah that does mean I cant upload pics when im away from home but every time I get chance to snap photos back home and upload some I will certainly do so. Currently my visits back home consist of meeting up with my lifelong school friends and hanging out as well as spending time with the family before I go away again for training and to get as much time in as I can before my 6 month pre deployment training starts. Anyway folks just be sure to pop in to the thread now and again and I will be trying to squeeze in free time to work on the layout and snap pics. I mean as soon as I graduate my pass out parade I will be working as a regular soldier so will have 6 months work then 6 months holiday so plenty of modeling time.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what is a rough height that a front scene board should be. I mean the top boards at the front of a layout that you would put lights behind with a fascia over and the layout name on. I cant remember what the proper name for these is other than the front top fascia with lights behind. But can anyone tell me a sort of rough height eg 24 inch tall 36 inch tall etc.

Thanks buddy :) I hope it will look eye catching when done ive got trackwork and baseboards and wiring so basicly everything to start my layout just buying little bits and bats like paint and that. I need to order some plasticard sheets and other shaped pieces to build my self a walkway and cement hopper to load up cement wagons etc. Cheers

Ive put some Cement "Bachmann" wagons into the classified adds on here nathan,if you want any??

cheers neil...

Ive put some Cement "Bachmann" wagons into the classified adds on here nathan,if you want any??

cheers neil...

I will check them out thanks :) and I will have to have a word with thee mother when she comes home today to see if I can pull some agreement from her haha cheers.

IMG_0752_zps607d4344.jpg

It isnt much but its a start just snapped this fom my ipod. Had a spare 10 mins so I cut some copper wire and bent it 90 degrees on the top to make some droppers. I am going to cut a small piece of the sleepers away under the track and solder it directly to the rail rather than the fish plates. This will ensure each piece of track gets power rather than rely on fishplates even though I will solder the track together too.
Should be able to upload some more pics tomorrow when I get my camera back. I did lay all the track out and pin it down with drawing pins to test how it looks and sort of what operations I can do on the track plan. Cheers.

Archived