Bachmann Scenecraft Benches 44-514

Brian Hawkins

How satisfied or dis-satisfied are fellow members with the newly released Bachmann Benches (44-514) ?

They were advertised as red metal ones, but, were released as concrete/wood.

I brought two packs and found that they do not have front legs !

have other members found theirs to be the same ?

Thanks

Unfortunately, these were changed by Bachmann some time ago from the standard Network SouthEast-style bench to a more general park bench.  A shame as the NSE bench would be a very useful and I imagine highly sought after addition.  

I haven't seen them in-the-flesh so can't comment on the quality of the finished product, but looking at the cad-cam image, they look like a standard version of what they're supposed to now be!

If you are still after the NSE-style seat, they are available in kit form from Ten Commandments (product code L176) or you can buy them ready-made on eBay.

How satisfied or dis-satisfied are fellow members with the newly released Bachmann Benches (44-514) ?

Suits me batter as they now suit late 1960s/70s period, but I can understand it must be frustrating if you wanted the NSE type seat. Haven't seen a picture of the actual models yet, just the computer drawing, so they could still disappoint!

From the image used by Bachmann, it looks like a fairly generic park bench of the type installed in the 60s and 70s - precast frames with wooden slats. Some designs had front legs but most just had a single back leg on each end.

Good example here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/17328521@N00/3913050645/

I'll probably buy some as they look ideal to go in the parkland around my 1960s build blocks of flats.

Andy 8)

Yes, had a shock, when I recieved concrete/wooden ones, rather than the modern metal benches. The website I ordered from did show the modern metal ones (which is why ordered them) but delivered the wooden ones. Upon phoning them I was told it was something to do with Bachmann changing them at the last minute??  Strange!

They did the same thing with the wagon loading terminal and conveyor. I think the released Item is much better than the advertised one, but I do wish they'f not advetiseded it for so long without releasing it!

Ian_B

Not quite last minute, they changed the design over a year ago and its been shown as the wood/concrete ones on their web site ever since. It was pretty obvious a number of on line retailers had not picked up on this judging how many were showing the metal ones until very recently.

I cancelled my pre-order for quite a few because of this.  Am extremely annoyed it must be said!!!

If you want some NSE seats, I can recommend those sold on eBay by dustylionflower (no connection to me).  You get 4 seats for £9.99 + 99p postage.  They are well constructed and painted and I assume they use the original Ten Commandments model (code L176 if you prefer to build them yourself). 

Archived