SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

On the subject of easier scenery, would it be possible to use the polygon feature, but in the vertical plane, to create formers, much as we would with wood when modelling scenery, and have the "ground" follow the formers? It would give a good idea of how an open baseboard plan might look.

Yep, I am also think over such idea. However I need to create an easy interface for making such polygons in 2D when the user looks from "above".

Mixy

Mixy

As I am essentially a pick and place person rather than make it from polygons type of modeller and with Metcalfe kits becoming very popular - you see at least one or two of them on most layouts these days, would it be possible to have them as ready made structures in SCARM or would this be considered as some sort of intellectual property theft. I'm thinking station buildings, goods shed, loco shed, coal drop, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Mixy

As I am essentially a pick and place person rather than make it from polygons type of modeller and with Metcalfe kits becoming very popular - you see at least one or two of them on most layouts these days, would it be possible to have them as ready made structures in SCARM or would this be considered as some sort of intellectual property theft. I'm thinking station buildings, goods shed, loco shed, coal drop, etc.

Yes, some of these may appear in a dedicated library in some of the next releases of SCARM. Please, provide me with links where these structures are described. If there is a resource with pictures from all sides and dimensions, that will be the best.

Here is the list of the SCARM railway blog posts for January 2015.

Check How To Make Control Panels and Diagrams for SCARM Track Plans article if you want to know more about how to draw a stylized diagrams of your layouts like the example below of oval with one siding.

Track_plan-Symbol_diagram_ready_for_prin

The next version of SCARM will be published soon :)

Mixy

Edited by Mixy

Hi All,

Is there a way of re-sizing the background image in SCARM.

If not, what DPI should the image be for 4mm scale.

Hmm, not sure that makes sense.

I have some prototype track plans which were drawn at 1" = 160ft, so 1" = 640mm in  4mm scale.

I've scanned them at 600dpi but loading that into SCARM comes out at maybe 10% too small. (1" on the plan compared to a 640 length off flexy in Scarm)

I know i can resample the scan to a different DPI on a semi trail and error basis but i just wonder how SCARM decides what size to make the background image.

Many thanks,

Jim

Edited by JimHearne

Hi all :)

Is there a way of re-sizing the background image in SCARM.

Use the sizing grip (small triangle) at the bottom right corner of the background image to resize it. SCARM draws the image initially at scale 1_pixel_in_the_image = 1_mm_in_the_SCARM_plan, but you can rescale it according to your needs.

Some potential changes to my layout show a gap. I need to be able to model multiple baseboards with different sizes.

See more about that here: Creating Layout of Several Modules in SCARM

Re post #104 please see here:

www.metcalfemodels.com

On the actual model detail pages most have a plan view with dimensions, but unfortunately there is no all round view of them.

Maybe they would let you have some CAD files if you said you would promote their products in SCARM.

OK, I will check these and several of them may appear in a new library in some of the next versions of SCARM.

Mixy

Hi all :)

Use the sizing grip (small triangle) at the bottom right corner of the background image to resize it. SCARM draws the image initially at scale 1_pixel_in_the_image = 1_mm_in_the_SCARM_plan, but you can rescale it according to your needs.

See more about that here: Creating Layout of Several Modules in SCARM

OK, I will check these and several of them may appear in a new library in some of the next versions of SCARM.

Mixy

Doh, sorry, i had totally missed the triangle.

Or rather, i had seen it and thought it was a bit of the background scan.

Many thanks,

Jim

@Mixy ref post #108

Thanks for the promise of looking at inclusion of Metcalfe models.

If it helps over a period of time I can photograph the ones I have all 4 sides and top and dimension them up.

Where would be the best place to send them.

Rob

Edit: @Mixy I was using SCARM to give me lengths of Hornby 00 track pieces and some of them seem to be a bit optimistic.

e.g. R8076 Y Point is showing as 334.58mm long. I think this should be nearer 168mm. Ditto all other points R8072, 8073, 8077, 8078, 8074, 8075 and the diamond crossovers R614, 615 lengths seem to be wrong, both when I call up right click length of selected section on the part and if I hover over the part in the LH column selection list.

Rob 

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Hi Rob,

Please, select one of your own Metcalfe structures (some with fewer details), make a photos from all sides and from top, mark the dimensions and send it to me to the SCARM e-mail, listed on the first line here: http://www.scarm.info/index.php?l=en&page=contact

About the dimensions - when you click on Length of selected section menu, SCARM calculates the total path length for both legs of each turnout or crossing - that's why it is always bigger than the actual physical dimension. If you want to obtain the real lengths, select the track and look in the status bar or measure it on screen using the Tape measure tool.

Mixy

Edited by Mixy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question- if you're just using a trackpad (on a laptop), is there any way of panning left/right/up/down?

I know that you can use the arrow keys to pan, but a click and grab hand might be a nice feature.

Also, how do you pan around in 3D mode? Using my mouse, the only way I seem to be able to change the view basically just zooms in and out.

As an enhancement for future versions, I think the "embed" or "link" option for background images would be great. Also, the ability to export scarm track plans as vector graphics would be great for importing into Rhino, Inkscape etc.

Also, how do you pan around in 3D mode? Using my mouse, the only way I seem to be able to change the view basically just zooms in and out.

In 3D mode, try the using the Ctrl key along with the cursor keys to rotate around the x or y axis.

In 2D, you can use either the keyboard arrow keys or on-screen scroll buttons for moving the drawing plot.

In 3D, you can move the camera with the arrow keys or rotate it around the target with Ctrl + arrow keys as Jaggzuk suggested. Rotating can be also performed by the mouse with holding down left mouse button.

See other shortcuts and combinations here: Using of Keyboard Shortcuts in SCARM.

About background image - SCARM searches for it in the initial location and if not found it searches again in the folder where the .scarm project file is located - move both files together and they will be always linked together. Exporting int vector formats may be introduced in some of the future versions of the program.

Mixy

• 4 weeks later...

Here are listed the SCARM railway blog posts for April.

Check also the recently published first SCARM fleet with several N-scale vessels (by John Lemay) and download the project file if you want to use some of these ships in your SCARM layouts.

Emma Maersk container carrier

SCARM_Emma_Maersk_3D_model_N-scale-300x1

Different lake freighters

SCARM_Lake-freighters_3D_models_N-scale-

Lansdowne rail ferry

SCARM_Lansdowne-Rail-Ferry_3D_model_N-sc

And there are more... :)

Mixy

Hi Mixy

I am sure I have ask this question before, but I cannot find it anywhere.  Is there a way to scale up objects that have been drawn for on particular scale, e.g. these boats from N guage to OO?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Is there a way to scale up objects that have been drawn for on particular scale, e.g. these boats from N guage to OO?

Not yet, but I am working over that. Should be done in the mid summer (I hope) together with some other great features :)

Mixy

• 1 month later...

Here is the list with the SCARM railway blog posts for May.

See also the last post with several Living and Engine Houses in HO scale (created by Howard McLay) which are also suitable for using in OO layouts. Download the project files if you want to edit and/or place some of these buildings in your SCARM track plans.

Here is the two-story building with a swimming pool.

SCARM_living_houses_ft.jpg

As usual, there are more... ;)

Mixy

• 1 month later...

And here are the SCARM railway blog posts for June and July.

Read more about SCARM and Windows 10 if you plan to migrate to the new operating system and use SCARM on it.

windows-10-logo-160.png

Most users that already upgraded reports that SCARM runs fine, even faster on Windows 10, but if your case is not the same, post here or comment in the blog for any issues or weird behavior when running SCARM on the new OS.

Mixy

• 4 weeks later...