SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

Hello.

In SCARM if I go View,Scale, 1to1 (for print) will SCARM print out my track plan in full size ?

Here is the plan in question. Thanks.

Buckingham%20No4%20A.png

Looking at this trackplan I have grave doubts that it can be built, or if built if trains will run.   The diamonds look skewed,and the three way points are either unlike any I have ever seen or the track kinks abruptly where the left road joins the next (reverse) curve. You can do a certain amount to a Peco 3 way to minimise this but the outer road at the coal yard for instance should swing a lot wider. The Turntable needs to be right in the corner as the lower road has an impossible kink where it joins the turntable and the straight roads kink and need a very short curve.  So many lines parallel to the baseboard edge is somewhat toylike but SCARM encourages this. Curved platforms not only look better but trains run more smoothly through gentle (20 ft radius) curves.  SCARM is a tool, like all tools it needs an experienced craftsman to get best results

Looking at this trackplan I have grave doubts that it can be built, or if built if trains will run.   The diamonds look skewed,and the three way points are either unlike any I have ever seen or the track kinks abruptly where the left road joins the next (reverse) curve. You can do a certain amount to a Peco 3 way to minimise this but the outer road at the coal yard for instance should swing a lot wider. The Turntable needs to be right in the corner as the lower road has an impossible kink where it joins the turntable and the straight roads kink and need a very short curve.  So many lines parallel to the baseboard edge is somewhat toylike but SCARM encourages this. Curved platforms not only look better but trains run more smoothly through gentle (20 ft radius) curves.  SCARM is a tool, like all tools it needs an experienced craftsman to get best results

Hi David.

The point symbols are the Peco ones which come with SCARM & I have no control over them.

I'm sure that SCARM as a tool in the hands of an expert can produce excellent results but I'm not an expert. This is the first time I have used the software.

The plan is roughly based on Buckingham Central by Peter Denny as in this image.

Buckingham.jpg

Yes there are plenty of kinks especially in the sidings but these can be sorted during the build. The plan I produced should be considered a draft & subject to refinement. I'm sure the plan has many faults not obvious to an amateur like myself but with the expert advice of others can be corrected.

After all I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

The rest of my layout is similar to this Freezer plan.

Layout%20as%20Built.%20Small..png

Hello Tony,

"1:1 (for print)" will just set the page size on the screen to be 1:1 with the real page size in your printer.

In order to print the track plan in 1:1, please follow the procedure in the link below:

Print Whole Layout in 1:1 Scale (updated)

Mixy

Thanks for that Mixy.

I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Hello Tony,

"1:1 (for print)" will just set the page size on the screen to be 1:1 with the real page size in your printer.

In order to print the track plan in 1:1, please follow the procedure in the link below:

Print Whole Layout in 1:1 Scale (updated)

Mixy

Hi Mixy.

I followed the instructions but when I print all I'm getting is the grid with the text page no I have written but no track layout ?

Hi Tony,

Have you printed several pages from top left corner to the right, following the instructions or only the first page?

Your layout configuration tells me that the first page (actually the first column of pages) may be empty when printed in 1:1.

Mixy

Hi Tony,

Have you printed several pages from top left corner to the right, following the instructions or only the first page?

Your layout configuration tells me that the first page (actually the first column of pages) may be empty when printed in 1:1.

Mixy

Hi Mixy.

Sorry I made a mistake in my settings.

Got it sorted now.

Thank you.

I am glad to see that it is working for you :)

Seems like SCARM runs well on the new Windows 10 and now I am preparing to launch the next update of the program.

In the meanwhile, here are the SCARM railway blog posts for August.

Check also the recently posted virtual model of Superquick A-10 Train Station Building in OO scale and use it in your SCARM layout plans.

Superquick_A-10_SCARM_Station_Model_ft-4

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...

I've just downloaded v.0.9.30 and remembered that I have two old Peco 009 track items that are not in your library.  They are described in my old (1977) Peco catalogue as SL-E491X / 92X  - 22.8cm, (9") radius.  The geometry seems to be identical to N gauge ST-5 and ST-6 (which I used for my entries.):

TStraightArrowRail|SL-E491X|SL-E491X|2|87|228|22.5|0|0|0

TStraightArrowRail|SL-E492X|SL-E492X|2|87|228|22.5|0|0|1

You might like to consider them for the standard library (I also have old Hornby-Dublo track, which you helpfully include!)

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am wanting to created a simple retaining wall for a layout plan I am developing in OO using SCARM but do not know how to create slopping objects for such thing as the buttresses. Any ideas, is it possible?

And without wanting to get to complicated is it possible to create arched recesses in vertical planes?

Cheers

The new version SCARM 0.9.31 is ready and published, coming with new features for safe editing and several new and updated track libraries. Read more about that here:

SCARM Model Railway Track Planner 0.9.31 Released

This version should fix the annoying "scramble" bug, which may appear in the older releases, so update is recommended ;)

Mixy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello .

I have a plan in Anyrail and I also have Scarm down loaded and I'm sure I have previously imported it into scarm for 3D viewing.  Trouble is I can't remember how or where I found out how to do this.

Anyone know if this is still possible and or where I can read up on it.

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Barnaby,

I am afraid that such import is not possible directly in a single click, but there is a way to do that and represent almost any track plan in SCARM - read how here: How to import track plans in SCARM

And here is the list with SCARM railway blog posts for December.

Don't miss the last post for 2015 which is representing the beautiful Badalona train station in N scale as virtual model in SCARM :)

Badalona_train_station_virtual_model_3D-

Mixy

• 1 month later...

Here is the only post in SCARM Railway Modelling Blog for January:

Reset SCARM Settings to Defaults

Use the method, described above if you want to revert to default settings and/or if you have troubles when starting the program - resetting can be of help.

I am in process of finishing some new features in SCARM and the next version will be released soon :)

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to SCARM, and am just getting to grips with how it all works - great programme and lots of helpful tutorials & video.

For the first time ever. I have a potential train room.  The problem is it is an old stone building, 80cm walls and a parallelogram, with 4 metre sides and 80 degree and 100 degree corners.

I have created some rectangular baseboards, with the open centre, my question is, is there a way to create a parallelogram, to plan a layout running round the outside of the room?

• RMweb Gold

Looking at this trackplan I have grave doubts that it can be built, or if built if trains will run.   The diamonds look skewed,and the three way points are either unlike any I have ever seen

You've not been looking hard enough then. ;)

Hi all :)

Check the recently published post in the blog about Various Tanks & Water Towers in HO Scale and use these in your HO scale or OO gauge layouts.

SCARM_fuel_tanks_and_water_towers_HO-sca

And the SCARM Railway Modelling Blog post for February is about possible Discrepancy Between Elements on the Layout and the Parts List - check it to see what are the most common causes for that.

Mixy