RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Still incorrect. If the regulations had changed, all of the relevant DVLA guidance sheets and pamphlets would have been changed, and would change every year. The fact that they haven't strongly suggests they haven't.

Beware of blogs. I've come across mistakes like this in similar webpages for the Home Office. Very misleading, especially when you then find the official internal guidance which is somewhat different.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Even that official guidance pdf is odd. It uses language that is very un-law like (Ie it uses the phase 'get rid of' ) and again is unclear about the black and white plates. It appears that you can apply to have black and white plates on your 73-75 car, but is there a form for that?

I've just bought a Christmas present car, but the last owner upped the size of engine without telling the DVLA, so I'm just waiting for the V5 to return, so that I can send it back again. I'm just hoping I don't need to have an engine number, as there is none on the block!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Be careful there Andy, there were horror stories in PC magazine a while back about engines without ID .

If I were you I'd find an ID plate of an engine you have provenance on

What is the engine?

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Premium

Even that official guidance pdf is odd. It uses language that is very un-law like (Ie it uses the phase 'get rid of' ) and again is unclear about the black and white plates. It appears that you can apply to have black and white plates on your 73-75 car, but is there a form for that?

I've just bought a Christmas present car, but the last owner upped the size of engine without telling the DVLA, so I'm just waiting for the V5 to return, so that I can send it back again. I'm just hoping I don't need to have an engine number, as there is none on the block!

Andy G

Be careful there Andy, there were horror stories in PC magazine a while back about engines without ID .

If I were you I'd find an ID plate of an engine you have provenance on

What is the engine?

If its the same family of engines such as a BMC A series or a derivative of the 105E Anglia engine its possibly the original engine block modified and updated so the DVLA might accept that it is the original engine modified. One thing you must do of course is inform your insurance company that it has been altered.

Having the proverbial clear out of the hard drive and found some more motoring golden oldies...

attachicon.gif4de64aea49166c440a743568ccac8087.jpg

attachicon.gif4v013b.jpg

attachicon.gif### girls_in_cars #1.jpg

attachicon.gif_51271665_henrygrant,1967-04chenrygrantcollection,museumoflondonondisplayforlondonstreetphotographyatthemuseum.jpg

attachicon.gif0f28eda2a44c68ed85ea3b4ab522ac36.jpg

attachicon.gif1f4cc37ab74bb78c6d46cf850838d3c0.jpg

attachicon.gif5.jpg

attachicon.gif5c3be99a734c97f7161905fd798c8f33.jpg

''Mrs.Peel, we're needed...''

attachicon.gif9a5c_1.jpg

attachicon.gif13ff8c605f204720bc53618d06789e15.jpg

attachicon.gif32_New_TR5_from_Motor1967-10-21ShowNumber_800.jpg

attachicon.gif47of52.jpg

attachicon.gif99f1d708c284f08449a56527e940617d.jpg

attachicon.gif302c895a4161605d17351cbe92bc7104.jpg

The Geneva Motor Show FHC E-Type '9600 HP'...

attachicon.gif1961-jaguar-e-type-fhc-3_featured.jpg

attachicon.gif1963 Mk2 Jag advert.jpg

attachicon.gif1970%20E-type%20S3%20WHP205J%20archive%20shot%20with%20Jaguar%20aircraft.jpg

attachicon.gif1970s-Tyre-Advert.jpg

attachicon.gif16130p.jpg

attachicon.gifad_rover_3500_1977.jpg

attachicon.gifBL 1965.jpg

attachicon.gifcar7.jpg

I like the DAF in the second pic down. It looks to be the Daffodil rather than its more common successor, the 33, and so puts me in mind of the first car I drove extensively solo. Ah, nostalgia :D.

I also remember that Dunlop Formula 70 ad from Custom Car magazine, for which my brother had a subscription, which, given he was all of 10 years old at the time, indicates either a surprisingly liberal attitude on the part of our parents or woeful ignorance :D.

• Like 3

Andy G

A set of number punches and some imagination will see you sorted ;).

• Like 2

I like the DAF in the second pic down. It looks to be the Daffodil rather than its more common successor, the 33, and so puts me in mind of the first car I drove extensively solo. Ah, nostalgia :D.

I also remember that Dunlop Formula 70 ad from Custom Car magazine, for which my brother had a subscription, which, given he was all of 10 years old at the time, indicates either a surprisingly liberal attitude on the part of our parents or woeful ignorance :D.

There are quite a few DAF's in that pic. I reckon the location must be the Netherlands.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Its a 1098cc A series. Interestingly enough on all the V5's I've had for minors, everyone has had the engine number as 'not recorded'. I've got a few blocks with numbers kicking around, so I can always stick that down. The question is, is the engine number ever checked? I can see this motor getting a 1275 at some point....

The insurance company are aware, and are happy with it at no extra cost as shes also got disc brakes.....

As a 62 Trafalgar Blue 4dr shes quite interesting.. Shes got Marina Discs up front and instead of 948cc running gear shes got 1098cc stuff. Shes running a HIF44 and a maestro/ Ital cast 3 into 2 manifold, and then a 2 into 1 large bore exhaust. The level of torque is the best I've ever run in a minor, 1st gear not being required at all. On the way back from picking her up I was travelling at 70mph (honest gov, cough!) and she still wanted to go faster!

As its a family car, the HIF 44 is being replaced with a HIF38 to get a bit more economy and to prevent breaking half-shafts (and me getting nicked!). In the longer term I'll fit a dolly back axle and tele shocks, which will then allow the 44 to go back on.

Shes not a looker, being a bit at the rougher end of the bodyworks stakes, but solid enough.

A big grin was on my face all the way home, especially when I saw peoples mouths drop as I pulled away!

Andy G

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

There are quite a few DAF's in that pic. I reckon the location must be the Netherlands.

Ed

They all have Dutch registration plates so yes its the Netherlands. The only British cars I can see are a Hillman Imp and a Triumph Spitfire.

Whether the published guidelines for having black and silver / white plates are correct or not, some of the classic plate manufacturers are openly offering them on cars registered up to 1976 now, even Tippers are at it and they're usually very strict on what they're willing to supply. Not saying it's right, just thought it worth mentioning, and anyway, they do tend to look odd on post Jan '73 cars (says he, who once upon a time put a set of very cheap looking pressed aluminium black and silvers on an A reg'd 1983 Mini Mayfair!).

Meanwhile, in the land of pounds, shillings and pence, black and white TV and fish fingers for tea, another '60s 'special'...

post-7638-0-49050000-1475751412.jpg

At the other end of Mini based japery this 1980 / 81 1275GT is still clinging to its '70s roots, feel free to shoot me now but I rather like the plastic 'Capri' style window blind...!

post-7638-0-24903100-1475752653.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

Seeing as how we're digging out old photos, here's one of the 1962 Ford Cortina Consul 1200 I drove around Scotland for a few months in 1975.  The poor thing was held together by body filler and couldn't have passed its MOT later that year, but it did get me around.  In case you're wondering, it's parked in the High Street in Edzell.

19640621309_15297bbcb7_c.jpg

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 8

I have a sneaky suspicion that someone somewhere made a bit of a pig's ear of that, and reasoned that tax exemption and what now get commonly termed "historic 'plates" were linked, since they both used the same cut off date. Obviously we know this is just coincidence- the number plate cut off date was introduced in 1973 and the tax exemption in 1998 (well, probably 1997 to be pedantic) when the decision was made to stop the rolling 25 year tax exemption (as was). It would seem someone didn't do their homework! It's even more daft when you think that the reflective 'plates were made compulsory on safety grounds... but that's what it is.

Not entirely sure what to put the Slotmags on- I quite fancy a Herald or Vitesse. What I'd really like is a Vitesse estate but since the factory didn't actually build any (although one of the London dealers did put a few together) that might involve a bit of DIY! I've got a set of banded steel wheels in the garage too that I think might be from a Herald. The offset is wrong for a Marina, they try and occupy the same space as the brake caliper on the front.

Not many options for 4x95.25 (3 3/4") unfortunately!

Heralds & Vits are big meccano when it comes to body styles. Given the correct donor parts a Vit Estate is possible. I would go for the Mk II 2 Litre as a base as that has the better suspension. Mind you, I would recommend swapping the lever arms for adjustable teles if I were you. I did on mine and it was a really useful upgrade. An o/drive gearbox is another good move. I had my Mk II saloon for 11 years and spent a fortune on it in that time. It was fun working on the engine sitting on a front wheel! Of course, the 2.5 six will fit too. Should you go down the Herald/Vit route, I can recommend joining the Sports Six Club as they are very supportive of the marques.

My (idle) dream was a Vitesse Coupe using a Herald top and rear, again using a Mk II chassis...

steve

• Like 1

Take your pick... ;)

I like how the Cooper S has 'Heater' listed as a significant feature in the windscreen.

It's a very early one judging by the front valence and a heater was technically an option on early Minis.

Heralds & Vits are big meccano when it comes to body styles. Given the correct donor parts a Vit Estate is possible. I would go for the Mk II 2 Litre as a base as that has the better suspension. Mind you, I would recommend swapping the lever arms for adjustable teles if I were you. I did on mine and it was a really useful upgrade. An o/drive gearbox is another good move. I had my Mk II saloon for 11 years and spent a fortune on it in that time. It was fun working on the engine sitting on a front wheel! Of course, the 2.5 six will fit too. Should you go down the Herald/Vit route, I can recommend joining the Sports Six Club as they are very supportive of the marques.

My (idle) dream was a Vitesse Coupe using a Herald top and rear, again using a Mk II chassis...

steve

Yup, that's part of the appeal! Both my companions on the RBRR have owned Spitfires in the past, I remember Adam's being about the easiest thing possible to work on for the most part. Adrian sold his before I knew him but he turned it into a "Gitfire" the hard way, sticking GT6 running gear into a Spit instead of simply plonking the Spitfire tub onto a GT6 (well, relatively simple anyway). The 2l 6 was my preference and, having driven the Dolly a fair bit, the overdrive 'box is a given. I wanted to put one in the Marina (the gearboxes are all but identical) but the extra lump of the overdrive won't fit without some pretty drasric surgery to the (intergral) transmission tunnel. It has been done but since so much rust is being cut out as part of the rebuild I'd rather not have to cut a solid bit too! If I start with a Herald I'll obviously upgrade the front suspension and brakes, and more than likely fit a swing spring at the back.

Dolomite is all stickered up, loaded with a few choice tools and spares, fluid levels checked and pretty much ready to head for London (ish) in the morning. Wish us luck! 

• Like 4

At the other end of Mini based japery this 1980 / 81 1275GT is still clinging to its '70s roots, feel free to shoot me now but I rather like the plastic 'Capri' style window blind...!

Stand still Nidge, I'm getting too old to hit a moving target...!!

Those things looked bad enough on Capri's & the like, to de-spoil that lovely little GT in that way is just wrong...!! 

Keith

• RMweb Gold

What was the catalogue you could buy in the 80s that was full of grilles for windows and horrendous Richard Grant body kits. I remember seeing a window grille kit for mk2/3 Capri with grille's on the side rear windows too! Strangely there was no carbon fibre rear sick bin for the centre console.

There was also loads of graphics in there which in the day I thought some were good!