The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

A couple of very nice old car books arrived via Santa today, a rather hefty volume on the Porsche 912, a stop gap car set between the outgoing 356 and the new-fangled 911 largely overlooked by many but gathering quite a following today, and another welcome volume in the Brooklands Road Test series on the NSU Ro80. With a bit of cash in the odd Christmas card my Amazon shopping basket will get a good old thrashing later on today, more Brooklands RT goodies in the form of the BMW six cylinder cars of 1969 - 1976 and with a bit of luck the rare one on the Citroen SM.

''I may be gone for some considerable time...''

;)

I see you've gone for cars I've either owned or found technically interesting. Are you spying on me?!???

This was my old one:

post-6879-0-90078500-1514214964_thumb.jpg

...and Martin Buckley's previous Ro80 spotted at RoTechniks Grazeley (before he bought his current orange one):

post-6879-0-67958300-1514215065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The fastest I have ever driven a car on the public highway was 105 mph. This was done legally I might add before the 70 mph limit was introduced. The car was a standard Vauxhall FD Victor with the 1600cc slant four engine. Even more remarkable was that it was well and truly laden with the driver (me) and four passengers.

Something not quite right there.  22nd December 1965 the speed limit was introduced.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/on-this-day--70mph-speed-limit-imposed-on-motorways-164136359.html

Vauxhall Victor FD introduced in 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Victor

• RMweb Gold

Numberplate fonts can make or break the look of a classic any pre 01 car with late font just looks wrong

Can you still get computer font? There are a few people on eBay that does pre 01 but technically they are for show use only

• Like 1

....Can you still get computer font? There are a few people on eBay that does pre 01 but technically they are for show use only

A1 Show Plates offers a very similar font to Serck called "Euro Style", but the size is marginally smaller. They are just about age-appropriate for the CX, I think, but they need to be full-size characters.

post-3995-0-71437300-1403729666.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Something not quite right there.  22nd December 1965 the speed limit was introduced.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/on-this-day--70mph-speed-limit-imposed-on-motorways-164136359.html

Vauxhall Victor FD introduced in 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Victor

It's probably a bit late to incriminate himself!

You caught me out, mind you it was on an empty Motorway very early in the morning in May 1976. It would be difficult to find an empty Motorway under any circumstances today.

....It would be difficult to find an empty Motorway under any circumstances today.

Only middle of the night, and today you have speed cameras. Is it worth the bother of staying up to get points on your licence / ban, even if you're trying to blow the cobwebs out of a car that otherwise has only seen town use?

• RMweb Gold

A1 Show Plates offers a very similar font to Serck called "Euro Style", but the size is marginally smaller. They are just about age-appropriate for the CX, I think, but they need to be full-size characters.

As they are probably done on a computer they should be able to enlarge the font.

I wanted 3d font for the MGf but couldn't find it so mg rover badged pre 01 had to do

• Like 1

post-3995-0-71437300-1403729666.jpg

There are quite a few number plate makers / traders who attend the larger car shows regularly, there were two at the NEC last month (both Brum based anyway so handy for them) who pretty much covered all of the styles / fonts between them. I've used them in the past and others online whose work is good quality.

Putting the wrong plates on a classic can ruin the look of the whole car quite easily, I had a brain fart when I bought my '73 Rover P6 and replaced its original but very tatty reflective raised digit plates with cheap black and silver pressed alloy ones, silly me.

Time for a brew and a perusal of that Ro80 book..!

• Like 3

Putting the wrong plates on a classic can ruin the look of the whole car quite easily, I had a brain fart when I bought my '73 Rover P6 and replaced its original but very tatty reflective raised digit plates with cheap black and silver pressed alloy ones, silly me.

My old BMW had an embossed Irish standard plate obtained from Ennis Motor Factors in Ireland in the days before internet shopping.

post-6879-0-07959700-1514223279_thumb.jpg

Time for a brew and a perusal of that Ro80 book..!

I think you'll like it - I've got the same book. Wondering whether to buy the one covering the CX.

• Like 3

Only middle of the night, and today you have speed cameras. Is it worth the bother of staying up to get points on your licence / ban, even if you're trying to blow the cobwebs out of a car that otherwise has only seen town use?

Even in the middle of the night there are streams of lorries to and from the Channel ports and the supermarket distribution centres. Yet cross the Channel, and you can look for several miles in front and behind and there's not a vehicle to be seen on some sections of the A16 and A26.

Good point about the cameras, in recent months the M1, parts of the M6 and several trunk roads in and around Brum have had new cameras erected, I've heard, rightly or wrongly that the new yellow box type on the ends of the M1 and M6 gantries can be set to go off at 70mph.

I find the M40 is pretty clear in the midnight to 4 o'clock period, but still use cruise control most of the time.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

My old BMW had an embossed Irish standard plate obtained from Ennis Motor Factors in Ireland in the days before internet shopping.

attachicon.gifDSCF0015.JPG

I think you'll like it - I've got the same book. Wondering whether to buy the one covering the CX.

Which 'E number' variant was it, I like the look of that!

I've heard, rightly or wrongly that the new yellow box type on the ends of the M1 and M6 gantries can be set to go off at 70mph.

From what I've been told, any camera can be set to be triggered at any speed, it's up to the local authorities what the threshold speed is.....

If they set them to 70, I bet 75% of motorway users would be banned in a year....!!  :resent:  

From what I've been told, any camera can be set to be triggered at any speed, it's up to the local authorities what the threshold speed is.....

If they set them to 70, I bet 75% of motorway users would be banned in a year....!! :resent:

I wonder if they can be hacked into....?

I knew it wasn't a good idea to start idly perusing the online for sale ads whist digesting my Christmas fodder....

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/classics/beautiful-andamp-unmolested-europa-type-54/6018690

Might seem rather pricey for what is a basic looking 'breadvan' but I've always liked the simple Series 2 styling rather than the chopped down rear of the later twin cam version. I can't stop looking at it, I can hear Barry Grey's theme tune to 'UFO' going round and round in my head...

Got it bad this year methinks  :biggrin_mini2: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You caught me out, mind you it was on an empty Motorway very early in the morning in May 1976. It would be difficult to find an empty Motorway under any circumstances today.

Some years ago I was batting back down the M62 on my way home from Manchester Airport in my 320i BMW.  Early hours of the morning with nothing about wanting to get home.  Still checking my mirrors and saw something gaining on us real quick so I slowed down to something nearly representing a speed limit only to be passed by an Astra van!  He was doing three figures and just vanished.

.. something gaining on us real quick so I slowed down to something nearly representing a speed limit only to be passed by an Astra van! He was doing three figures and just vanished.

In the years before that, it would have been a Royal Mail Sherpa van (diesel, natch) passing you!