The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

And now for some hot CX and Beta action:

Now that's a car chase!    Love it -   Think that's a Gamma not a beta though -   the little louvred panel below the rear windscreen  actually has glass behind it too -   so you can look through it from inside the car to help reversing . cool car. 

Jon 

Back in the 1970's had a CX just like the one in Horsetan's clip -and the same colour.  Most comfortable car I have ever driven - and the most unreliable.  It seemed to spend as much time at the Citroen agent as on the road.  The long wheelbase probably helped with the decent ride. I recall the engine was a mass of fan belts driving all sorts of bits of kit.  And the rocker switch which required the driver to cancel the indicators after turning corners.  Took it over to France in the 70's and was amused when parking in a French town centre - one lad on his bike shouted to his mate 'Regardez le Citroen Anglais'.  It must have been a rarity then for them to see a right hand drive version in its home land.     The foot brake also was a bit of a shock.  A small pedal with a short travel distance - nearly had my front seat passenger through the windscreen the first couple of times I braked.

*(Swiss Toni)

Driving a CX is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. To start her, you have to ask nicely when you slip your key into her slot. Then you ease her in gently, caress and stroke her brakes.....

/*(Swiss Toni)

I guess Mr. Martin hadn't seen or heard of 'Red Victor' then....!!

Bet he's popular with the neighbours.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

The return of the Invacar:

Thanks for that, I have now spent several hours watching his projects, I have done the invacar and Bluebird and am now on the Lexus, his videos are such easy, enjoyable viewing.

Edited by royaloak

A few more from Friday's jolly up at the NEC...

post-7638-0-14444500-1521989524_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-36545200-1521989538_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-08198900-1521989551_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-69031900-1521989564_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-06885000-1521989581_thumb.jpg

An early Mk1 Mini which belonged to Dame Margot Fontaine with it's 'Hopper' wickerwork, apparently the original was done with a waterslide transfer and painted over by hand and as was so typical of many 'coachbuilt' '60s Minis the interior metalwork is still in the original Smoke Grey colour...

post-7638-0-48565800-1521989600_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-95501400-1521989692_thumb.jpg

Potential aplenty with this Mk1 Interceptor in the 'barn find' display...

post-7638-0-20612100-1521989717_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-35063800-1521989776_thumb.jpg

The owner of this Lotus Excel is making some Lamborghini Urraco style mods at the rear...

post-7638-0-86825300-1521989836_thumb.jpg

My period alloy wheel fetish went into overdrive, these are very 'Gerry Anderson'... I wonder if they'll fit a Europa...?

post-7638-0-39300900-1521989860_thumb.jpg

'Unloved' Ferrari 400 in the auction...

post-7638-0-94199000-1521989957_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

....Meanwhile at the NEC today.... 

Lovely '75 CX...

attachicon.gifDSCF2717.jpg

That might well be one of the earliest RHD ones in existence, although not the first CX into the UK. There was an orange RHD one which came up on YouTube some years ago, being brught back to life - that one had no assisted steering of any sort, and I think it had twin wipers instead of a single one, so very early production indeed.

Edited by Horsetan

The blue Lancia Gamma chasing the CX is Horsetans clip earlier - reminded me - we have an identical one at work! 

post-6893-0-75657300-1522067648_thumb.jpg 

drives like a dream - and so does the Beta - properly lovely Italian ride and handling - shame they were made of 'sugar' 

Jon 

• Like 4

last Jensen picture I promise!

A very tidy series 3 - this one's US spec so has the slightly less pretty side repeaters/reflectors. Looks lovely in black - but I'm not a fan of the vinyl roof , even though it is original.

post-6893-0-59356300-1522230331_thumb.jpg

Jon 

• Like 9

That's a cracker, appropriate reg' number too for a US car. It better not be the last one Jon, keep 'em coming!

Our postie has just delivered the Marcos GT book I ordered two days ago so that'll give me something to read in between shuffling about some troublesome trucks at Stud Farm this afternoon, no sign of the Citroen SM book yet, maybe Horsetan intercepted it en route...  ;) 

Gratuitous Marcos shot before I nip off to work, I rather like the look of this... I can see elements of Iso Grifo at the back and Bizzarrinni 5300GT in the curves here and there...

post-7638-0-81393800-1522242323_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

There is both a Marcos GT and a Mini Marcos mouldering in a front garden beside the A12 at Stratford St Andrew in Suffolk, opposite the service station.  The can be seen in street view on Google Maps. I don't understand people who own little pieces of history like that and just let them rot.

.....I don't understand people who own little pieces of history like that and just let them rot.

Hoarding?

Or perhaps had the means to acquire - on the basis that they didn't want anyone else to have them - but not maintain / restore them?

Hoarding?

Or perhaps had the means to acquire - on the basis that they didn't want anyone else to have them - but not maintain / restore them?

More likely the latter.

A friend heard of two rare pre WW2 BMWs which we tracked down to another  small village in Suffolk. The owner had no interest in restoring them, selling them or even storing them in a reasonable environment. He had several other cars of similar vintage, plus a Riley Elf/Wolsey Hornet (under a tarpaulin so difficult to identify which).

• Like 1

There is both a Marcos GT and a Mini Marcos mouldering in a front garden beside the A12 at Stratford St Andrew in Suffolk, opposite the service station.  The can be seen in street view on Google Maps. I don't understand people who own little pieces of history like that and just let them rot.

there was a one point a couple of bare shells and a set of moulds slowly being reclaimed by nature at the back of the factory where they were for a time produced in Greenfield . can remember an item on BBc look northwest with a reporter test driving one over the A635 isle o sky road to holmfirth  stumbled across the shells some years later .

More likely the latter.

A friend heard of two rare pre WW2 BMWs which we tracked down to another  small village in Suffolk. The owner had no interest in restoring them, selling them or even storing them in a reasonable environment. He had several other cars of similar vintage, plus a Riley Elf/Wolsey Hornet (under a tarpaulin so difficult to identify which).

I remember a recent mention of a blue Jensen Interceptor which spent the best part of three decades rotting away on someone's front drive. All offers for it were refused. When it was finally removed, the A and C pillars had snapped off and the floorpan/chassis was looking a bit bendy on the low-loader. Not sure how much was salvageable, but it didn't look like much was left. The owner has apparently put a Bentley on the same spot, and that's going nowhere either....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There are two GT's there .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1884503,1.448428,3a,51.7y,169.25h,87.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYw37wWzcQyT44MRMvjcrKg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are they still there? They have been there for about 20 years

There's also 'something' being reclaimed by nature in the bushes to the right of them. I have no idea of how to drive google street view so wouldn't be able to find it again!

Its another Marcos, I have a feeling there was a GT and two minis but may be wrong

No, not that one, it's in the big bushes next to the neighbours red Focus. Some kind of 30's replica kit car/van I think...