The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Wonder how long before Vauxhall's start sporting some sort of PSA badging !

I doubt they will - haven't you noticed the 'proud British brand since...' nonsense on their pre-Brexit advertising!

• Like 1

I had a Vauxhall Belmont SRi (which I actually really liked & would love another good one!) which had a non interference engine - when the cambelt went twang in that all it did was stop the car!

My '97 Vectra suffered the same thing at less than 200 miles over the recommended mileage for change (80,000 from memory), it had been booked in the previous week but the only technician qualified to do it was off sick so it had been re-booked for the following week. The work involved new pistons, oil and water pump, work on the valves, springs, head and valve seats and of course a new cam belt. Total bill was £2,300.00, Both the dealer and Vauxhall declined to contribute any goodwill. It was my last Vauxhall and brought a sixteen year unbroken association with the marque to an end.

My only lapse to total abstinence was a 12month spell with an Insignificant which came about as a result of a change in company car policy, it was a pale shadow of Vauxhall's in days past, well equipped but highly priced (big discounts to the leasing companies made it an economical rent but wreaked havoc with my tax bill!). It was poorly finished, unreliable and evidently built to a price well below that which was shown on the list. Thankfully the Ellesmere built Astra loan cars I had while it was off the road (there were plenty of them!) were a better option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a tensioning pulley bearing go on a Diesel Astra, which is effectively the same as the cambelt snapping - it snapper three rocker arms but otherwise the engine was OK.  Took the head off, checked the valve weren't bent, and re-assembled with new rockers (and tensioner,....) and belt.  Did 180,000 miles and was still OK when I sold it.  It's identical predecessor did 245,000!

My mate had a Flawed C-Max, 100,000 mile cambelt life according to the handbook, it snapped at 75,000. Wrecked the engine totally.  Turns out Flawed had reduced the service interval to 50,000 but didn't tell owners.  They were not interested in a partial goodwill claim, so it will be his last Ford.....

We had a cam belt snap on the last Alfa 155 we had. Alfa had reduced the change interval from 72k to 36k but we were being cheap! Our fault.

Problem with those isn't the actual belt, it is one of the tensioners failing. You replace the tensioners with the belt. New belt is a bit of a pain to do.

I think that's because the bodywork no longer hangs off cars after about five years, mechanicals even back in the day weren't really the problem...

Andy G

While that does appear to be the case, some also seems to be that the visible bits stay good while the hidden bits rot away . We had a Jaguar X Type (a decent enough car really), which externally still looked very good. But there was substantial rot appearing at the bottoms of the A posts.

All the best

Katy

Bit of a vicarious 'classic car spot' ahoy - over on Pistonheads in the appropriate thread, a member has reported that he was lucky enough to see the 'Persuaders' Bahama Yellow Aston Martin DBS 'PPP 6H' blasting southward in the M1 this morning!

• Like 5

On my way back home after picking up our grandson from preschool (it's only a short distance from our home, so I usually walk) we saw an Armstrong Siddeley 236 going down the road (I am assuming it was a 236 rather than a 234 as it had a personalised plate with three letters and 236 on it).  Funny thing is that I've seen a 236 around here before, but this was a different car.

And his reaction: "Wow, that looks like your old car" (a Wolseley 15/60).....

• Like 5

Bit of a vicarious 'classic car spot' ahoy - over on Pistonheads in the appropriate thread, a member has reported that he was lucky enough to see the 'Persuaders' Bahama Yellow Aston Martin DBS 'PPP 6H' blasting southward in the M1 this morning!

Bound for Le Mans? We've had a steady stream of expensive vehicles heading there all week.

• Like 2

Indeed it does, with Citroen building some Traction Avants, 2CVs and DS models there.  I think Citroen's uk headquarters is still there (unless it's moved to Coventry as part of the Peugeot HQ).

The connection goes back to the period post WW1, when the War Office established a depot selling off war-surplus lorries there. Many's the haulage firm, or bus company, that owes its beginning to vehicles bought there.

• Like 2

Bound for Le Mans? We've had a steady stream of expensive vehicles heading there all week.

Possibly - although it occurred to me this morning that it could have been on its way home from a service at AM heritage in Newport Pagnell. It was also restored there when the previous owner had and I do know that the current owner lives in down south.

Another spot worth a mention but no photos alas - for the past couple of years my next door neighbour has been secretly beavering away in his garage restoring his 1980s Fiat X1/9, he had it parked at the front of the house yesterday having just had it MOT'ed - it looks fabulous, must get some decent photos of it sometime. He's yet to finish his N reg'd Hillman Imp, which he's had for at least six or seven years.

• Like 2

Jaguar XJ12C. In its natural habitat

One of my favourite TV cars even though the real thing was a bag of spanners.

... and just for the h€ll of it.

... speaking of Roger Moore:

P

• Like 4

All this talk of broken cam bells etc. In Sept 2007 I took a layout to Southport in my Citroen Berlingo van. After receiving instructions from their exhibition manager , I set off to drive around the block to unload the van at the rear entrance. Just as I changed from 1st. to 2nd. gear the van's cam belt parted company and we had to push it back to the front entrance. 

After recovery back to Hull, my local garage found the engine was wreaked and they fitted a second hand one with half the mileage.  I asked for a new cam belt and a clutch to be fitted, just in case! 

That engine has now done in excess of 14,000 miles in several countries.

I should like it be known that the good folks at the Southport show, payed me full expenses and gave me a donation to help me to get back on the road.(sic)

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be taking chances with a timing belt. . . . The last one that let go on me cost an engine.

John

Agreed, I have seen cars scrapped because the cambelt snapped and the cost of the repair was prohibitive (a belt kit is only about £50-£100), I always change the belt, idlers, tensioner (and water pump) on any new car even if the history says it has been changed, belt and braces approach.

The other half has just bought an 09 plate Fiesta (no mention of belt change in the service history anyway) and the kit arrived this morning with the intention of changing it next week along with the antifreeze, brake fluid etc, the car will be gone over from bumper to bumper and everything that I think needs doing will be done.

Edited by royaloak

Engine bay of my 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider - this view is only possible as I’ve taken off the bonnet!

Jon

attachicon.gif53AF85F8-E08E-43FB-9D41-F57A0899C65E.jpeg

That is beautiful, more please, or else!

Another example of Italianate wonderment here...

post-7638-0-99062400-1529088531.jpg

Another dose with a slight twist : low slung Italian exotic sportscar (Lamborghini Urraco) - check, typically Italian impractical suede covered dash - check, typically Italian impractical white leather seats - check, small stature Italian bloke who designed the car (Marcello Gandini) - check...

post-7638-0-48277000-1529088820.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

My '97 Vectra suffered the same thing at less than 200 miles over the recommended mileage for change (80,000 from memory), 

How many years?

Cambelts have a mileage and an age life!

• RMweb Premium

One of my favourite TV cars even though the real thing was a bag of spanners.

... speaking of Roger Moore:

P

I like the way the Zephyr 4 indicates as he's carving up the Triumph Herald.

• Like 2

How many years?

Cambelts have a mileage and an age life!

Under two, car registered September ‘97, belt snapped in April ‘99. From memory the interval was six years or 80,000 miles.

We worked our cars hard, average was over 1000 miles a week, very few had less than 100,000 miles on them at two years old, that one was the second lowest of them all.

• Like 1