RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Very much into jet (gas turbine) engines was Rover - mainly no doubt because of their wartime involvement in the Whittle project developments.  Their first car with such an engine was -I've checked - JET 1 in the late 1940s, they also did a joint project with BRM in the 1960s for Le Mans, and of course there was also a P6 style vehicle with a jet engine as well (there's film of that one on the 'net).

Dragging from the memory banks: I think Jet 1 set world speed records (for turbine cars) over in Holland in the Early 1950's.

There is this replica:

and then, Jools Holland commissioned something of a replica a good few years ago but with Jag 4.2 mechanicals.

P

Edit:

Just found a Mr Cholmondley-Warner film showing a how a Rover Turbine can be used to top up rivers severely depleted by drought. (With the help of the fire service)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow_hddEk8a0

So much more entertaining than the Coventry Climax type of pump.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I love those old 'Chicken pate' newsreels :jester:  i did'nt think it would ever get fast enough to blow the passengers hat off in the first bit of clip though. Can't watch the last vid' though it won't let me. :cry:

Loving the jet cat talk, proper 'British boffin' stuff and no mistake. The P6 was originally designed to take the gas turbine, hence its wide engine bay with the curved inner wings. Alas it wasn't to be, but it did allow the ex-Buick V8 to be dropped in with some slight modification, the first installation taking place in 1965, three years before the launch of the 'Three Thousand Five' model.

• Like 4

Can't watch the last vid' though it won't let me. :cry:

Clicking the bottom right right of the viewing window (hover over the youtube logo) should take you to direct view in Yootub

• RMweb Premium

I love those old 'Chicken pate' newsreels :jester:  i did'nt think it would ever get fast enough to blow the passengers hat off in the first bit of clip though. Can't watch the last vid' though it won't let me. :cry:

Acceleration was not a strong point on almost any gas turbine vehicle. And before anyone mentions GT1, that benifited from having electric transmission.

Edited by PhilJ W

A very good reason why not to rent your beloved vehicle out to a film or TV company, then have to leave it with them because you are not able to stay on set to drive it and keep a watch on it.

Tidy new respray when it turned up on set.....

post-31611-0-76021200-1531135685_thumb.jpg

Then some buckets of dirty water, poster paint and real mud appeared.....

post-31611-0-01546000-1531135743_thumb.jpg

When filming was finished it was sent back to the base camp and left to its owner to collect looking like this.... :O

post-31611-0-42188200-1531135806_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-11679500-1531135835_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-70587300-1531135854_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-75637300-1531135889_thumb.jpg

The owner went absolutely crackers and had to have it fully professionally cleaned & valeted and sent the hirers the bill......they argued over who was to pay up for several months later. If you are ever asked if you would like your vehicle can be used in a film or on TV. then stay with it all day long, drive it yourself, and never let any Actor or stunt person drive it, unless its already a wreck and not your pride and joy! :derisive:  

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

Great selection there John - did you bag any other shots of the silver Mk2 Mini parked next to the big Falcon? I recognise it from somewhere...

Sorry, just what you see there.  I'm not that into Minis so I don't tend to take photos of them.

And there's more.

Bob Danvers Walker taking time off from helping out Michael Miles on "Take Your Pick" to narrate a bit of History on JET 1.

Hang on to your hats... 151 MPH ahead.

I'm sure I saw John Bolster in this clip.

• Like 9

Loving the jet cat talk, 

Jet cat?

Mmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....................................  :jester:

Jet cat?

Mmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....................................  :jester:

The cats baled out earlier.

• RMweb Gold

A very good reason why not to rent your beloved vehicle out to a film or TV company, then have to leave it with them because you are not able to stay on set to drive it and keep a watch on it.

attachicon.gifPICT0538.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0566.JPG

When filming was finished it was sent back to the base camp and left to its owner to collect looking like this.... :O

attachicon.gifPICT0568.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0570.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0573.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0004.JPG

The owner went absolutely crackers and had to have it fully professionally cleaned & valeted and sent the hirers the bill......they argued over who was to pay up for several months later. If you are ever asked if you would like your vehicle can be used in a film or on TV. then stay with it all day long, drive it yourself, and never let any Actor or stunt person drive it, unless its already a wreck and not your pride and joy! :derisive:

Was this used in red riding? Was watching that the other night and saw one like that in a few scenes

• Like 1

Jet cat?

I blame fat finger syndrome, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Spent an hour or so faffing about with the Cooper S this afternoon before the heat made me seek shelter indoors - I found the period locking petrol cap I've been looking for in a draw so fitted it to the car, it needs a matching one for the other tank so the hunt continues... I do enjoy searching for all these period trinkets...

post-7638-0-27319600-1531150906_thumb.jpg

I still haven't fitted the roof console I bought from a mate last year, for some reason it has two radio apertures and one light fitting aperture, all of those I've seen before in the flesh or in period ads are the other way round. I've also got the other set of Mk3 Cosmic alloys to refurbish and fit new tyres to, with this set I'm thinking of painting them dark grey (powder coated matt finish) or gunmetal (metallic finish).

post-7638-0-77701900-1531151541_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

attachicon.gifPICT0538.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0566.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0568.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0570.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0573.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0004.JPG

A decade or more back, a long running TV drama was being filmed on location and as the crew’s presence in the area had become regular over a number of years, the TV company had taken on a unit next door to our factory. It was used to store props and equipment and over a period was home to all manner of 60s period vehicles.

One episode featured hippy travellers and the producer had acquired the use of a number of 1940s/ 50s buses which were ‘temporarily’ disguised as traveller’s caravans. The disguise involved vinyl overlays on the windows and an awful lot of water based paint in garish, pastel colours. The vinyls were low tack and easily removed whilst the paint could be washed off afterwards with a hose....or so they thought.

When the buses returned, the first was washed and with a little effort, the paint came off. The second and third were slightly different, hoses, brushes, jet wash and an automatic bus wash all failed to make any impression on the worst paint job in history.

The only saving grace was neither of the two buses had been in a restored condition and the incident probably spurred their restoration, no doubt helped by the compensation which was paid. I do giggle when the repeats come up as they frequently do.

• Like 3

My Dad was asked to loan one of his cars to the producers of "for the love of cars" program but he couldn't make the date so a friend loaned his car. On arrival he was asked to make himself scarce and offerred a coffee so the various presenters could drive it and be filmed. When he got the car back the hood had not been put down properly so got damaged and the paintwork had been damaged by the camera mount.. Similar challenges about getting compensation out of the TV company that have been mentioned earlier, to the film company it is a prop and don't fully appreciate the effort required to restore an old car.

I understand that the Dad's Army Museum had similar issues when they hired out Corporal Jones's van for the 2016 film. They were also disappointed that it was only used for set dressing (i.e. parking in front of modern features) rather than having any significant part in the film.

The issue with the Commer van above reminded me of a conversation I had with a gentleman from Quainton Road a while back. The station building was to be used in an episode of Endeavour so they gave it a coat of fresh paint specially, only for the film crew to 'weather' it as it was supposed to represent a disused station!

Was this used in red riding? Was watching that the other night and saw one like that in a few scenes

Yes! it was russ well spotted! Good job the owner never knew just how bad they treated it & drove it across that old coal mine site either :O I've seen so many cars abused and just used as blocking objects to hide modern street furniture in period stuff, also seen stuff hired, transported in and paid for at a very great expense and then the poor vehicles owners sat around all day and then their vehicles never used at all. 

This was for 'Life On Mars'.....but was never seen or used.

post-31611-0-89346100-1531208363_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Small world!

I take it the end scene where it was supposedly dumped by the vicar's strange stable building was filmed before its seen in the background on a street scene.

Funny I was boring my missus saying there's that commer van that was in the field now back on the road!

To be honest i hated Red Riding, the gist of the gory story only un-ravelled as we went along, i hated one scene where we were in an old quarry near Leeds and they found the body of a child etc...was really miserable all round with non-stop drizzle all day puddles everywhere and it did'nt finish filming until well after 1.00am...that was Warren Clarkes last bit of filming as well, all six of us left up there in the dark had to line up and shake hands with him as they handed him a small going away present, and as was often the case we had to be back for 6.00am the following morning  :O Some more 'Red Riding' Vehicles for you to spot russ. :ok:

post-31611-0-45252800-1531209791_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-88572800-1531209813_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-14534400-1531209839_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-81922000-1531209863_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54305200-1531209889_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-77085200-1531210003_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-46877700-1531210026_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-32021200-1531210053_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-94828400-1531210095_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Excellent Bob, glad the Magnum survived as its supposed to be crashed in the series

How long ago was it and where was the village that looks like its had cooling towers digitally added?

You had better hope they don't make a film of GB84 by the same author as that's is even more complex than red riding.

Mind would make a great film but not are you would want all those windscreen breakages!

• Like 1

The Magnum had this stunt (not so) double. :jester: I had to take the front bumper off the Magnum and use the one off the Viva HC double, i put it over a concrete kerb and hit it with a big sledge hammer to bend it, it was just for one scene where the Magnum crashed, it had to look like it was damaged etc. Broke my heart damaging a decent chrome bumper but that's what the whole double car was bought for i suppose. 

post-31611-0-80131600-1531212681_thumb.jpg

The young Actor Andrew Garfield cut his hand whilst we filming at an old Hospital near Leeds, whilst he was filming a scene in an hospital corridor he put his hand on the glass panel of a door to open it and his hand went through it, he had to go to another hospital to have it seen to and a few stitches, they had to re-write a scene were he was tortured and had his hand trapped and slammed in the cop-car door, we had to drill a few holes in the Magnum door pillar and fit a piece of 3" x 2" wooden post inside the pillar so that when they slammed it there was a two inch gap before it really hit his hand! So that explained the real bandage he had to wear for a few days. :derisive:

post-31611-0-00840700-1531212644_thumb.jpg

It must be well over ten years ago now, it was filmed in a real old pit village North of Doncaster called Stainforth, the power station cooling towers are real its Drax i think you can see russ.

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Bob, I didn't realise it was filmedvover there.

I wonder whether Thorpe Marshes cooling towers were still up back then.

I suppose the viva that stood in for the Magnum is filmed so you can't see the different lights .... I hope so because if I missed that and I didn't bore her with that fact ! I have failed miserably