The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

It might be worth you taking the alternator off Ivan. It could be that it’s brushes are worn, and you may not be getting a constant charge. Of course change the battery first and see how it goes....

Andy g

• Like 2

It might be worth you taking the alternator off Ivan. It could be that it’s brushes are worn, and you may not be getting a constant charge. Of course change the battery first and see how it goes....

It's a straight choice between spending money and, er, spending money....

I'd have thought its quite a big job to fit mk4 lights to a mk1

Found that article I mentioned about upgrading your old-fangled Mk1 lights to new-fangled Mk2 / Mk3 type, from 'Car Mechanics' magazine, September '71... the car being modified in the article is a '65 Morris Cooper 998...!

post-7638-0-02360700-1532361043_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

It's a funny old world - regarding the photos of the rotten Minis I posted yesterday afternoon, it turns out that the one with the 'factory recliner' front seats in red and grey has been saved and restored! The owner is on a Mini forum I'm on and replied when I posted the same pics on there. Splendid.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

[quotfe name=Rugd1022" post="3241018" timestamp="1532361139]Found that article I mentioned about upgrading your old-fangled Mk1 lights to new-fangled Mk2 / Mk3 type, from 'Car Mechanics' magazine, September '71... the car being modified in the article is a '65 Morris Cooper 998...!

attachicon.gifMk1-Mk2 light conversion CAR MECHANICS mag September 1971.jpg

Talk about sacrilege!

Restored what part......the part with a chassis/VIN number?  wasn't much left....hmmm.

It's the one on the left in this pic Neil, it was more salvageable than it looks... 

post-7638-0-16072200-1532371300.jpg

I know what you mean though, there are plenty more out there which are like Trigger's broom!

This one is genuine and will be snapped up soon ,despite the high asking price...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Mk1-Cooper-S-Project-1965-Morris-not-Austin/153086099295?hash=item23a4a47f5f:g:zD8AAOSwoSFbTvWn

post-7638-0-11710600-1532371487.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's the one on the left in this pic Neil, it was more salvageable than it looks... 

attachicon.gifROT #11.jpg

I know what you mean though, there are plenty more out there which are like Trigger's broom!

This one is genuine and will be snapped up soon ,despite the high asking price...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Mk1-Cooper-S-Project-1965-Morris-not-Austin/153086099295?hash=item23a4a47f5f:g:zD8AAOSwoSFbTvWn

attachicon.gifMk1 Morris Cooper S 1965-l500.jpg

Shame it's a left hooker , easy enough to convert to rhd I know . But would doing that have any problems

when getting the MOT and registering ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

[quotfe name=Rugd1022" post="3241018" timestamp="1532361139]Found that article I mentioned about upgrading your old-fangled Mk1 lights to new-fangled Mk2 / Mk3 type, from 'Car Mechanics' magazine, September '71... the car being modified in the article is a '65 Morris Cooper 998...!

attachicon.gifMk1-Mk2 light conversion CAR MECHANICS mag September 1971.jpg

Talk about sacrilege!

I dunno about sacrilege but cutting into the bodywork like that and giving it a touch from a spray can strikes me as an awfully good way of giving the body rot a running start.

• Like 1

It's a 1960 Pontiac Catalina or Ventura Hardtop sedan, again pillarless like the Buick, the chrome surrounds retract with the windows. The distinctive raised, twinned rear lights on these can be seen in the trailer.

3 BLX Outside of Tudor Court with Klaus Kinskey driving. RHD; that would probably make it a 1960  Pontiac Bonneville Vista.

Dunno I know that. All those yank tanks look alike to me. Guess it must be that brief dalliance I had with the UK custom car craze during the late 1970's.

P

• Like 2

3 BLX Outside of Tudor Court with Klaus Kinskey driving. RHD; that would probably make it a 1960  Pontiac Bonneville Vista.

Dunno I know that. All those yank tanks look alike to me. Guess it must be that brief dalliance I had with the UK custom car craze during the late 1970's.

P

I clicked that link to the salesguy doing his spiel about the Pontiac Bonneville Vista.

As he worked around to the back and opened the 'trunk' lid, I suddenly saw a new "retro" relaunch of that car with a currently fashionable open 'truck' back (and of course 4WD) ready for the school run in the fall.

:senile: 

dh

• Like 1

As he worked around to the back and opened the 'trunk' lid, I suddenly saw a new "retro" relaunch of that car with a currently fashionable open 'truck' back (and of course 4WD) ready for the school run in the fall.

I think I'd prefer to see the jacuzzi in the trunk conversion. Ideal for this British summer. It would of course have to come with the obligatory three Bikini clad bords.

post-508-0-11980000-1532392073.jpg

or there's this!

P

Some kind soul on the Autosh*te forum has offered me some leftover CX parts (brake shoes and gaskets), so I'm giving those a home. Still hoping for an offside bi-optic headlamp.

First aired in Jan86

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090477/

OT, but that reminds me my old man had a walk-on (actually more of a sitting) part in The Peking Gun episode. Still have it on VHS somewhere...

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Shame it's a left hooker , easy enough to convert to rhd I know . But would doing that have any problems

when getting the MOT and registering ?

I don't think it would be a problem, no. One way round it would be to restore it as a left hooker then convert it to RHD later on once it's registered in the UK and MOT'd. Might seem a bit drawn out but it's fairly straightforward on a Mini and it's  a genuine Mk1 S so worth the hassle. I've just recently had to re-assess the agreed valuation insurance on my Mk2 S, the values (even on restored) cars are eyewatering now.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

How's this for a little gem... a Chilean built fibreglass Austin Cooper 998 from 1969, throughout their limited production these cars kept the Mk1 styling features, smaller rear window, smaller rear lights, early style bootlid with hanging numberplate, exterior door hinges and sliding windows... some had bumpers front and rear but this one has the deseamed look...

post-7638-0-12031300-1532443224_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

How's this for a little gem... a Chilean built fibreglass Austin Cooper 998 from 1969, throughout their limited production these cars kept the Mk1 styling features, smaller rear window, smaller rear lights, early style bootlid with hanging numberplate, exterior door hinges and sliding windows... some had bumpers front and rear but this one has the deseamed look...

attachicon.gifFibreglass%201969%20Mini%20Cooper%20chile-2_zpsgdapfq0w.jpg

That looks like the sort of "pocket- rocket" that would very rapidly put points on my licence!

At least rust would not be a problem.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifFibreglass%201969%20Mini%20Cooper%20chile-2_zpsgdapfq0w.jpg

It needs arches though!

• Like 2

It needs arches though!

I've seen photos of another one which has had slightly wider arches blended in to the glassfibre shell, probably quite a common mod on these cars. Some years ago there was a white one with a black vinyl roof doing the rounds at Mini shows, I think it's been repainted red since then.

Here's another Mini 'find', an old Bill non Cooper Mk2 850 or 1000, no idea where it's taken...

post-7638-0-94144100-1532456146_thumb.jpg

• Like 4