Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Surely that would only apply to vehicles that made it onto the digital records in the first instance?

Those scrapped before the V5 came into being [iE, still using old card log book] won't be on DVLA's records...[especially if Local Authority records were lost or destroyed?]

Yes, sorry, I should have said on the 'puter databases!

• Like 1

Spotted outside the local Wetherspoons recently - I'm not great on the minutiae of Porsche 911s in all their variations, but I'm sure most of you clever folk will know exactly what it is (unusual colour, certainly):

attachicon.gifIMG_20180623_205641.jpg

It's an 80's 3.2 Carrera, you can tell from the integrated front fog lamps.

The 911 Cab first appeared right at the  end of the 911SC production in 83 and went on to be available in turbo bodied form as well before the 964 replaced this variant '89..

• Like 3

I do have air pumps, and fluid pumps, and the odd 12 volt worklight....quite handy having a 'redundant' 12 volt battery hanging around the workshop [aka, field]....even been of use to a neighbour with a 24 volt land rover, who had battery problems....I  charge it up occasionally, when I remember, Otherwise, I am relying on the batteries in my vehicles.....which involves a lot more messing about.  Given that a scrap battery doesn't fetch much nowadays, it has greater value as a portable power source...even if it's no longer useful/trustworthy in a motor car.

Guess I'll be buying that Exide 74Ah, then.

I found a very old battery left over from my sister's old Mk.3 Golf. It's been out of that car for at least 10 years, yet still gives a reading of 10.7v!!

• Like 3

Yes and yes!

Steve,

Thank you. I'm aware of the pre-cat issue and the potential issue with the rear subframe is there anything else that I should be aware of, anything that tends to wear prematurely?

What's the best way to inspect the rear subframe – does the car need to go on ramps so I can get underneath or can it been seen from above.

I have a practical car so storage space is not an issue for me.

• Like 1

I suppose all that old local vehicle licencing data has been rather patchily digitised - rather like old railway hard copy documentatio.

I suspect most got dumped.

A relative of mine who owned a 1938 car, bought in 1947, had written to their local office and received the pile of docs for their cars history that was otherwise going in the bin

Katy

Looks like it. Can anyone identify the car in front of it? And I'll take the Standard 10 please.

Might be a Mini van, possibly with windows fitted. It's got the roof vent and the fuel filler behind the wheel arch. It also looks to be of a size with the Traveller/Countryman in front of it.

• RMweb Gold

Just thought I would pop by and add a couple of pictures from Northern Cyprus.  There doesn't seem to be as many old British cars as I recall when I visited the South some years ago.  There are classics to be seen daily running about but a lot of the old bangers seem to be Renault 12's or 9's.

Nice Mini that seems to have a famous owner.

post-6685-0-84821100-1532937492_thumb.jpg

Hillman Avenger for those of a Rootes persuasion that looks like it could do with some TLC.

post-6685-0-42148800-1532937644_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Might be a Mini van, possibly with windows fitted. It's got the roof vent and the fuel filler behind the wheel arch. It also looks to be of a size with the Traveller/Countryman in front of it.

Having looked at it under a magnifying glass it is definitely a Mini. The 12 inch wheels and the plastic wood stripe indicates that it is a Clubman estate.

Having looked at it under a magnifying glass it is definitely a Mini. The 12 inch wheels and the plastic wood stripe indicates that it is a Clubman estate.

I'll defer to those of greater Mini knowledge, but wouldn't the alleged date of 1968 be a bit early for a Pubman?

If that shell is sound it'll be an excellent base for a historic rally Tiger replica!

I thought all the Tigers were the Mk1 shell with the hockey-stick tail lights. Again, i don't consider myself qualified on Rootes/Chrysler/Talbot history though.

• Like 2

I'll defer to those of greater Mini knowledge, but wouldn't the alleged date of 1968 be a bit early for a Pubman?

I thought all the Tigers were the Mk1 shell with the hockey-stick tail lights. Again, i don't consider myself qualified on Rootes/Chrysler/Talbot history though.

You beat me to it Pat but if it is a Clubbie passion-wagon the date of the photo could be wrong, which would make it post- October '69.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Or keep it as the model it is instead of ruining it.

I'd be quite happy to 'ruin it', as I find competition cars far more interesting than wheezy, bog standard run of the mill family saloons - but each to their own, eh?!
  • Like 1

Another old Mini pic, c/o a mate on the Mk1 performance forum - Tottenham Court Road in the early '70s, a Mk1 Traveller / Countryman with a dodgy looking glassfibre Clubman front end and 'Ed Straker' wheel trims...

post-7638-0-46789200-1532958458_thumb.jpg

Just secured an oddball early Mk2 / Mk3 double skinned bootlid for the Jap 1275 from the chap who bought my last Mk2 998 Cooper, difficult to find one in decent nick (the bootlid, not my mate ;) ).

• Like 5

difficult to find one in decent nick (the bootlid, not my mate  ;) ).

I don't know . . some of my mates are getting a bit   . . er . . . . . why. . . you know. . . 

and as saying nowt about mesell reet!!!

John

Another old Mini pic, c/o a mate on the Mk1 performance forum - Tottenham Court Road in the early '70s, ….

That spot now occupied by massive concrete and glass edifice, housing a branch of Planet Organic (*expensive yawn*)