Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

39665966441_017fcf177d_b.jpgNegative No: 1969-2661 - Negatives Book Entry: 16-10-1969_Highways_Car Bridge Chester Road_Views of Progress by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

I once had a set of those still in the packaging. Made by Wilmot Breedon I think. Sold them to a fella that stuck them on his 4.5" J's fitted to a Wolseley Hornet. 

That mini is still on DVLA computer, but untaxed, and not been MoT'd for many years....

• Like 4

I agree..times change..and maybe not for the better, either?   Morris Oxford estate looks to be in good fettle too?  Nice motor, wouldn't say 'no' to one today, eh?

I think the banger boys smashed them all to bits in the early 80s. I put this one's number into the DVLA search engine and it came up missing so presumably it died before getting a V5. It would have been effectively new in 1969, with its flash modern reflective plates.

Edited by PatB

I certainly don’t remember the last time I saw a baby in a pram left outside a shop..

Especially face down! (If you check the large image)

Seen in Laxey this afternoon - AC....something or other.

I never realised that AC Greyhounds had a bottom hinged boot lid. Interesting loading up your golf clubs.

• Like 2

I think the banger boys smashed them all to bits in the early 80s. I put this one's number into the DVLA search engine and it came up missing so presumably it died before getting a V5. It would have been effectively new in 1969, with its flash modern reflective plates.

It would be a '68, roughly [my Sprite was a G plate, '68].....Bangers didn't claim every old car......relatively few, I suspect?

More likely it's value tumbled to rock bottom, and like many of today's cars-of-this-century, once it become uneconomical to repair, it was scrapped. [Or got 'written-off' in an insurance claim?]....It would have been almost 'vintage' in its driving dynamics compared to new cars coming on the market in the 1970's....Thus, unless these had persistently sympathetic owners, the scrap man cometh? Therefore, V5 or not, DVLA would have removed the reg number from the records.....same as my Sprite...[which no longer exists in its original form]

• Like 1

The Manchester Archive is a veritable gold mine of 1960 gems.

A slowly oxidising Giulietta SS.

38769636945_d82816b597_b.jpgNegative No: 1969-3102 - Negatives Book Entry: 15-12-1969_TP&B_Great Ancoats Street_Town Planning Inquiry by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

and no Five Star on sale here.

39637082262_2879c5e35f_b.jpgNegative No: 1969-3197 - Negatives Book Entry: 18-12-1969_TP&B_288-288A Cheetham Hill Road_TP Inquiry by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

P

The Alfa is an extraordinary find there Porcy as it's a RHD one, very rare beast indeed. William Gaunt drove an identical one as Richard Barrett in 'The Champions'...

post-7638-0-58413500-1534674705.jpg

The other Alfa in the photo which we can see the rear end of looks like a 1900 or 2600 Sprint.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

Especially face down! (If you check the large image)

Darned big pair of boots for what I presume to be a toddler? [Judging by hte complete lack of rearwards restraint?]..Mum in the shop, perhaps?  Might be the first young lady in view, but I rather think Mum will be the one with the Nora Batty-type stockings on, stood behind?  :/

It would be a '68, roughly [my Sprite was a G plate, '68].....Bangers didn't claim every old car......relatively few, I suspect?

More likely it's value tumbled to rock bottom, and like many of today's cars-of-this-century, once it become uneconomical to repair, it was scrapped. [Or got 'written-off' in an insurance claim?]....It would have been almost 'vintage' in its driving dynamics compared to new cars coming on the market in the 1970's....Thus, unless these had persistently sympathetic owners, the scrap man cometh? Therefore, V5 or not, DVLA would have removed the reg number from the records.....same as my Sprite...[which no longer exists in its original form]

I wasn't really thinking of old cars in general, but particular models. I don't know about the rest of the country, but a huge percentage of Devon and Somerset's Mostin Oxbridge population ended their days on the cracked concrete of Smeatharpe Stadium. They formed the majority of the banger grids while I was visiting in the early 80s. Estates were particularly favoured because they were less prone than the saloons to lifting their inside rear wheel when cornered hard. Getting its low bonnet into the resulting gap and levering the Oxbridge onto its side was about the only way that the other weapon of choice, the Triumph 2000, could stop one without suffering mortal damage itself :D.

As for the Oxford's driving dynamics being "vintage", I think that's being kind. I drove several, admittedly tired, examples as they were the B family's favoured transport in my youth and we tended to collect spares mules (if we got to them before the racers). They all had an uncomfortable combination of soft springs, ineffective lever-arm shock absorbers, heavy, low-greared, recirculating ball steering and a rather narrow track. My mother's Series VI automatic (GAD 452D, details still listed by DVLA in spite of having been scrapped in 1989) remains to this day the only vehicle I've inadvertently spun which, having owned both swing axle Beetles and a Triumph Spitfire, I regard as somewhat remarkable.

All that said, though, a few years ago I very nearly bought a Wolseley 24/80 as a daily driver, the 24/80 being the same basic shell but with an Australia only 6-cylinder B-Series variant. The climate here being somewhat kinder to BMC mobile rust traps there were still quite a few around well into the 21st century.

• Like 3

William Gaunt drove an identical one as Richard Barrett in 'The Champions'...

Thought so. Typical hairdressers car. :smile_mini2:

3366 F had a now rare pressed aluminium RAC GB plate stuck on the rear. I have one stashed and a mate uses one as a fridge magnet in her kitchen.

Gets a bit of a pain induced wobble on at 34' 28' in this episode, an episode that includes the ubiquitous white Jag going over the edge of  Betchworth quarry. (again!)

That quarry clip alone probably financed Lou Grades cigars for his entire life. 

EDIT:

Just done a bit of Googling on the Giulietta SS. Apparently in was Monty Bermans car. That explains why it turned up in the Saint and this garage scene in Gideon's Way. 39' 06' The often used Jim Clark/Brands Hatch plus a back projected Vanwall at the beginning.  Bonus is a young Nicola Pagett strutting her stuff.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Decades ago, I did a bit of minicabbing [to fill time], usual motor would be an Oxbridge [although I had my own Wolseley version]....all the front shockers were shot, and they'd bounce over uneven road surfaces like Zebedee!  :(

Dad and I used to scour autojumbles for NOS or reconditioned units, I don't think anything lasted more than about 1000 miles before the bonnet started going up and down again like the bows of a Biscay trawler in a gale.

Edit: To be fair, it probably didn't help that, having found out that Which? magazine managed to ground the front crossmembers of their test Farinas when yumping them over hump-backed bridges, I made spirited but unsuccessful attempts to emulate the feat. God, the things you do when young, foolish and immortal.....

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1

Thought so. Typical hairdressers car. :smile_mini2:

3366 F had a now rare pressed aluminium RAC GB plate stuck on the rear. I have one stashed and a mate uses one as a fridge magnet in her kitchen.

Gets a bit of a pain induced wobble on at 34' 28' in this episode, an episode that includes the ubiquitous white Jag going over the edge of  Betchworth quarry. (again!)

That quarry clip alone probably financed Lou Grades cigars for his entire life. 

EDIT:

Just done a bit of Googling on the Giulietta SS. Apparently in was Monty Bermans car. That explains why it turned up in the Saint and this garage scene in Gideon's Way. 39' 06' The often used Jim Clark/Brands Hatch plus a back projected Vanwall at the beginning.  Bonus is a young Nicola Pagett strutting her stuff.

The white Jag sequence was first used in 'The Baron' in 1965, I was watching 'The Final Countdown' episode of 'The Champions' last week and as soon as the Jag appeared I knew what was coming up next, it's funny how a scene that starts in 'a forest not far from Elstree or Pinewood' always cuts to a quarry several miles away! It was also used in 'Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased' later on. Those Cuban cigars don't come cheap you know...  ;)

• Like 2

Amazing how many times that Jag changed colour/type after going through the fence. I think the same clip was used four times alone in the Baron Series:

A compilation:

and then there was the Renault Dauphine.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

A full series of photographs of Alexandra Road, manchester laughingly described as "Congestion". If only they knew what was just around the corner.

39257520081_c873d30917_b.jpgNegative No: 1968-1678 - Negatives Book Entry: 19-07-1968_Highways_Alexandra Road_View of Congestion by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

24394958037_91ed2387f0_b.jpgNegative No: 1968-1671 - Negatives Book Entry: 19-07-1968_Highways_Alexandra Road_View of Congestion by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

Amazingly only the church seems to have survived, most of the retail premises gone to be replaced by the Moss Side Shopping complex which has thankfully also been demolished.

https://goo.gl/maps/3nshkLv4Pdq

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 7

This is probably the same white Alfa Giulia SS in 'The Baron', along with the obligatory RR Silver Cloud, transported of many an ITC guest star / villain / murder victim...

post-7638-0-34372200-1534693939.jpg

TV producers must have had a good rapore going with various RR and Bentley dealers or owners in the '60s, there was no shortage of them in The Avengers or the multifarious ITC shows...

post-7638-0-35832500-1534694171.jpg

post-7638-0-46276000-1534694194.jpg

post-7638-0-82474900-1534694223.jpg

post-7638-0-27147200-1534694247.jpg

post-7638-0-92419200-1534694294.jpg

post-7638-0-42468800-1534694321.jpg

post-7638-0-30269400-1534694355.jpg

post-7638-0-42642800-1534694386.jpg

post-7638-0-58015600-1534694413.jpg

post-7638-0-23586400-1534694446.jpg

Peter Wyngarde used his own cars in Department S and Jason King, both of them appearing in the background of other ITC shows when he was visiting his fellow thesps on set...

post-7638-0-81412500-1534694567.jpg

Can anyone identify the car in this episode of Department S...? It definitely has an Italian look about it...

post-7638-0-22994000-1534694721.jpg

post-7638-0-60845500-1534694756.jpg

• Like 9

A full series of photographs of Alexandra Road, manchester laughingly described as "Congestion". If only they knew what was just around the corner.

Negative No: 1968-1678 - Negatives Book Entry: 19-07-1968_Highways_Alexandra Road_View of Congestion by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

24394958037_91ed2387f0_b.jpgNegative No: 1968-1671 - Negatives Book Entry: 19-07-1968_Highways_Alexandra Road_View of Congestion by Manchester Archives+, on Flickr

Amazingly only the church seems to have survived, most of the retail premises gone to be replaced by the Moss Side Shopping complex which has thankfully also been demolished.

https://goo.gl/maps/3nshkLv4Pdq

P

I bet they had to wait ages and ages for that Vauxhall to turn up...

• Like 1

They used this one in a Father Ted episode. Father Larry Duff was driving when he got distracted by his phone ringing....

And then there was this tidy Mini.

Go to 1h18m37s

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Is that the quarry to the north of the A25, or the one where the large lake now is to the south?

• Like 1

Is that the quarry to the north of the A25, or the one where the large lake now is to the south?

Not Quite. The quarry to the North East of Betchworth Station. Directly south of the water tower at Box Hill.

https://goo.gl/maps/xygRn8uhDvP2

It was the rail served Dorking Lime Works.

I could never understand how the cars didn't manage to stop before going over the edge as nearly all the motors went through the fence some forty odd miles to the North West (and across London) here:

https://goo.gl/maps/bd4ESJy2Eou

or The Zig Zag Road a couple of miles away on the other side of Box Hill:

https://goo.gl/maps/SxWSdMhriyz

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Went to the Stonham Barns Classic Car Show near Stowmarket on Sunday in our MGB roadster, but didn't take any photos (mea culpa).

Wide range of mainly post WW2 cars, lots of US including plenty of Mustangs - mainly notch backs - Mk 2 and 3 Ford Zodiacs (but no Mk 4s), Morris  Minis and Minors. Lotus Elans were noticeable by their absence ( I was on the lookout for a friend who wanted some tech details to compare with his S4).

A good event, relaxed, with a wide range of classic and well worth a visit.

• Like 2