The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Coombe Vale said:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but you don't see many of these Russian "tanks" anymore. Lada Niva Hussar.

1601 x 1.jpg

A mate of mine told me, only a few days ago, that they are still being made and that there is somebody in the UK who can get you one, if you feel so inclined.

It is apparently due to be superseded by a derivative of the Dacia Duster in the near future.

John

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Am I right in thinking, the elan was the first [production] Lotus in which someone over 6 foot tall could fit, comfortably?

Was that the original Elan, or the Plus Two version? I'm small enough to fit in a Spridget without discomfort so the Elan was just fine....

John 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Was that the original Elan, or the Plus Two version? I'm small enough to fit in a Spridget without discomfort so the Elan was just fine....

John 

The original Elan being the first, that is what I'm asking about.

Colin Chapman apparently had a habit of sizing up the seats & cockpits of various Lotus models [Elite, etc] to suit himself...and his size!  Which most certainly wasn't 6 foot 2 inches!

• Like 2

As some of you may have noticed I posted a load of screenshots from a 1935 film called LAst Journey...lots of trains around Paddington in the mid 1930's. But also in the film was this rather nice AC....and if I may, I'll add an "Oh I say...ding dooong" as we are in that sort of era.

Apologies I've no idea which AC car it is but enjoy the pics anyway. Oh are there are some aeroplane pics as well which I'll post in the relevant aeroplane thread.

PDVD_135.jpg

PDVD_181.jpg

PDVD_203.jpg

PDVD_232.jpg

PDVD_241.jpg

PDVD_242.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, jetmorgan said:

As some of you may have noticed I posted a load of screenshots from a 1935 film called LAst Journey...lots of trains around Paddington in the mid 1930's. But also in the film was this rather nice AC....and if I may, I'll add an "Oh I say...ding dooong" as we are in that sort of era.

Apologies I've no idea which AC car it is but enjoy the pics anyway.

https://motoringpicturelibrary.com/index.php/mpl_images/ac-open-tourer-1934-1991-cc-vehicle-reg-no-bpf753-event-entry-no-70-driver-hurlock-c-f-finished-5th-out-of-65-place-r-s-a-c-scottish-rally-date-10-14-6-34

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

Apologies I've no idea which AC car it is but enjoy the pics anyway. Oh are there are some aeroplane pics as well which I'll post in the relevant aeroplane thread.

PDVD_135.jpg

PDVD_181.jpg

PDVD_203.jpg

PDVD_232.jpg

PDVD_241.jpg

PDVD_242.jpg

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

The AC engine was a 6 cylinder SOHC unit designed during WW1 and introduced in 1919 and remained in production for almost fifty years.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The AC engine was a 6 cylinder SOHC unit designed during WW1 and introduced in 1919 and remained in production for almost fifty years.

Indeed, by the 1950's it was considered a bit of  a lame duck!

A local AC aficionado [with  some Bucklands!] reckons, for useability, doing what AC did with most of their cars of the era, and fit a Ford 6 cylinder engine..more reliable, more power too..

I believe the AC Ace was also offered with the Ford  {2.5 litre?] 6 cylinder engine, instead of the Bristol lump?  I believe that, with some Raymond Mays work on the Zody engine, it would be more powerful by far, compared to the Bristol lump?

Certainly cheaper to maintain?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite a few car engines had a long production run, the Jag XK was made in various sizes for more than forty years for example. Does anyone know which car engine was in production for the longest period? 

I'd think the VW flat four would have to be a contender, 1930s to around 2000?

John

• Agree 3

The US Ford inline six engine might also be in contention, or thereabouts?  OK, so it started off as a sidevalver, but soon went to OHV. 

{OK, so the VW aircooled engine pre-WW2 was not really anything like the VW aircooled motor of the 1970's either]...

Whilst not the most powerful of big engines from Ford, in bhp terms, it certainly powered Ford's world for many decades...and is strong  too [stronger than a V8]...

[Mine is certainly adequate for keeping ahead of today's traffic]

Ford , as usual, were penny-scrimping with production costs, so the inlet manifold was cast in one piece with eh cylinder head...no gaskets to leak, of course, saved on a few studs and nuts....but the internal runners could be somewhat iffy....leading to weak mixtures on the end cylinders, and rich mixtures on the middle 4.

Eventually all makers preferred the V6 layout, which avoided that long runner mixture issue....and made it easier to meet emissions standards too.  Ford went back to the inline 6 on the later Mustangs due to supply problems with their V6....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the VW engine wins hands down even if you only consider the four cylinder version. The early Beetles were only two cylinder as was the Kubelwagen when more power was required the four cylinder was introduced. The Austin seven engine was produced with gradual improvements from 1922 to 1962 (latterly by Reliant) which makes it second to the Volkswagen engine.

• Informative/Useful 1