RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

13 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

He has come back with some more suggestions, now keep the language in your replies civil please!!

Humber, Austin Princess,Land Crab, Maxi, Hillman's and Wolseley automatics.

Trying to keep any of those on the road in the UK where spares and body panels are sometimes available (though often not!) is difficult enough, to try them in the US he has to be a sadist! (Sorry no other word for it!) I think he's had the sensible answer, Jag or P6.

• Agree 4

On 15/02/2022 at 08:06, Hobby said:

Trying to keep any of those on the road in the UK where spares and body panels are sometimes available (though often not!) is difficult enough, to try them in the US he has to be a sadist! (Sorry no other word for it!) I think he's had the sensible answer, Jag or P6.

I think masochist might be more appropriate.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2022 at 08:06, Hobby said:

I'm in the process of restoring a maestro EFi very scarey how little is available for it. Tinted windscreen NLA so that has had to specially made at nearly 500 pounds

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Followed a G-reg Metro CityX yesterday morning; weather was too dull to really get a look at it but the fact it is still running at all is impressive.  There are VERY few vanilla-model Metros about now.

• Like 3

On the topic of UK-made models available in the US, as above.....

I am a trifle surprised at the desire for a restricted option from the UK, over the choice of an equally decent US-made model of older car?

I can understand it if the end result is to be shown off on a mantlepiece...but as a 'user' the US industry produced far more useable, and in my view, often better, large saloons which are equally as 'nice'....if perhaps not quite in the cottager-type drawing room interior style.

With the average climate in the US, I would look askance at desiring to sit on a couple  of dead cows in their hot weather....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Now, this is what I would be thinking of, whenever anyone mentions a ''Land Cruiser!!''

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334222892300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

From wikkipedia.....

But 1950 saw the “Next Look in Cars" — Studebaker’s answer to the other manufacturer's 1949 models. Considered very radical for the era, it had three-point front styling, popularly known as the “bullet-nose”. Over 10,000 more Land Cruisers were sold in 1950 than in 1949. Studebaker Automatic Drive was introduced mid-year and was arguably the most advanced automatic transmission of the day. It featured reverse gear lock-out, hill-holder, anti-creep and a locking torque converter which allowed direct drive with virtually no converter power loss in high gear. The price of the 1950 Land Cruiser went down to $2187.

Sales in 1951 skyrocketed, an increase of almost 12,000 over 1950. This can probably be attributed to the introduction of the lively new Studebaker V8 engine that year. The front styling stayed virtually the same, with a minor redesign of the three points. Once again, the Land Cruiser had its own wheelbase, at 119"; the Commander now shared the 115" wheelbase of the Champion models. The price was raised to $2289.

The 1952 Land Cruiser was the last to use real glass for the tail and parking light lenses. Its grille, designated by some as the "clam digger", was actually a preview of the next generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Land_Cruiser

Note the Studebaker auto  gearbox, whose features would be considered hi tech in one of today's blobbyboxes?

.......................and folk would prefer a wallowy old Jagwar?????

Now, if I had 15K to spare [as many many folk out there seem to have??]....I'd be looking at that Studebaker on ebay too.....I like the interior...Very different indeed.

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 3

Having driven a MkVIII, & a MkX, that was my impression, many years ago. Now, they may have had shot-shox, or not..they weren't my cars....But I suspect many older 'classic' cars these days are waddling around on sub-optimal [wear-wise] suspensions....

US daily models were designed for comfort..probably on concrete roads as well...?

Softly sprung, but intended to be driven vast distances on less than optimal road surfaces.

Having watched, the other evening, the film ''Inferno'' [on Talking Pictures TV]...I wouldn't like to try driving a Jag saloon straight off the tarmac onto an unmade desert track...as typical US family saloons were expected to handle & cope with?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

There are Facebook groups for American enthusiasts of British cars. A few weeks ago someone posted a picture of an immaculate looking Hillman Huskey. Despite its appearance the floor pan was rotten. The owner was well pleased when I told him that the Hillman Huskey shared its floor pan with the Sunbeam Alpine (which it does). He is thinking now of fitting it out with Sunbeam Tiger mechanicals (Ford V8 engine).

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

They used the Moss gearbox as used by Morgan. Not sure what rear axle they used but the original Alpine axle would not have survived very long with all that torque. The sensible thing to do with replacing the floor pan of a monocoque bodied car would be to keep the doors shut and cross brace the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

On the topic of UK-made models available in the US, as above.....

I am a trifle surprised at the desire for a restricted option from the UK, over the choice of an equally decent US-made model of older car?

I can understand it if the end result is to be shown off on a mantlepiece...but as a 'user' the US industry produced far more useable, and in my view, often better, large saloons which are equally as 'nice'....if perhaps not quite in the cottager-type drawing room interior style.

With the average climate in the US, I would look askance at desiring to sit on a couple  of dead cows in their hot weather....

He is obsessed with 1950/60s british model cars and has bought some of my collection of large battery operated model cars.

When it comes to full sized cars he hasnt got a clue.

I am trying to educate him about E10  and what it does to fuel systems and work required on cylinder head valve erosion!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, alastairq said:

Now, this is what I would be thinking of, whenever anyone mentions a ''Land Cruiser!!''

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334222892300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

From wikkipedia.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Land_Cruiser

Note the Studebaker auto  gearbox, whose features would be considered hi tech in one of today's blobbyboxes?

.......................and folk would prefer a wallowy old Jagwar?????

Now, if I had 15K to spare [as many many folk out there seem to have??]....I'd be looking at that Studebaker on ebay too.....I like the interior...Very different indeed.

On the same site look at the car next to the 1800, a Rover 90 estate/woody??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334062581225?hash=item4dc7ae75e9:g:u3MAAOSwkctg33of

• Like 2

I hated [a bit strong really, they did nowt for me at the time]...the Farinas...

I had a Wolseley 16/60, nice interior, but a very bland drive indeed...when the front shox were up to snuff...which meant, oiling up every couple of weeks!

Anyway, a very ''disconnected'' drive on twisty Yorkshire roads.

The 1800, I'd prefer....incredibly roomy in the back seats.

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I hated [a bit strong really, they did nowt for me at the time]...the Farinas...

I had a Wolseley 16/60, nice interior, but a very bland drive indeed...when the front shox were up to snuff...which meant, oiling up every couple of weeks!

Anyway, a very ''disconnected'' drive on twisty Yorkshire roads.

The 1800, I'd prefer....incredibly roomy in the back seats.

Dad had a grey  Cambridge, seemed ok till he got a Mk2 3.4 Jaguar. That was the best car we ever had 675 TKE, Warwick green.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

On the same site look at the car next to the 1800, a Rover 90 estate/woody??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334062581225?hash=item4dc7ae75e9:g:u3MAAOSwkctg33of

Actually a 1960 Rover 100, "converted to a woody by its fourth owner".

Sold by Classic Car Auctions in 2020; it made £5,500.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334139270768?hash=item4dcc40a670:g:iPkAAOSw2SphNoi~

Off the cuff, I rather like the Dam-liar above, in my dotage.

Big lazy 6-pot, lots off crinkled leather and wood....not too bad in the handling stakes [not sure what the chassis looks like though?}

Proper Laa-dee-dah-gunner graham stuff.   [Or, begone, proles....?]

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334139270768?hash=item4dcc40a670:g:iPkAAOSw2SphNoi~

Off the cuff, I rather like the Dam-liar above, in my dotage.

Big lazy 6-pot, lots off crinkled leather and wood....not too bad in the handling stakes [not sure what the chassis looks like though?}

Proper Laa-dee-dah-gunner graham stuff.   [Or, begone, proles....?]

Like the Rover that would be a great woody.