G'day all,

I have been advised to continue this thread on the build of Kelly Bray, on here. For the beginning of this thread, you can take a look here ;  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65255-callington-branch/  I would also like to thank the members on RMweb for some guidance, advice and helpful links towards my project. Thanks to all who have contributed on the above link !

I chose the Callington Branch whilst looking for a BLT to build as a new project. The LSWR and Southern Railways is a favourite of mine. I particularly like the beautiful scenery this line meanders through, it is just stunning. So far, locomotives and rollingstock is still being built up. I'm not sticking to the prototype regarding motive power, but have an N class, T9, Schools, Class 101 DMU, Black 5 (although a little large for this line and borrowed from the LMS !), an Adams 02 on order from Kernows and a 2MT Tank on pre-order from Hattons. Considering one of Dapols Class 22...  Rollingstock is always on the up n' up, slowly building a collection as the layout progresses.

To get up to speed, here is a brief run down of what I have been upto so far...

An overall view of the track layout. Not all the track plan of the original line at Callington, but I have used the best bits. ie, 2 road engine shed, semi curved platform, reduced, goods yard siding and a few private sidings and extended refuge sidings. A little bit of 'poetic license', to fit the allocated space/boards. I have also built a sector plate which marries in to the end in the foreground, off the 3-way point.

post-14327-0-15623700-1363945210_thumb.j

The layout is wired for dcc and the points operated the dc way using Peco solenoid motors and momentary push buttons on a small panel.

One of the first models built for the layout, Callington goods shed. I built this using plans I purchased from Network Rail Media Store.

post-14327-0-25396300-1372932759_thumb.jpg

This is the next model I'm currently building, the overall roof for the station. Again using plans from Network Rail Media Store. Please disregard the track pins...

post-14327-0-31522200-1372932935_thumb.jpg

Ok, that's it for now. I'll keep posting from here on in on the layout and its progress.

Cheers, Gary.

Thanks for the kind words chaps !

Paul, I really should of called it the 'Antipodean Kelly Bray' !! :thankyou:

Hopefully if I get some time I'll be able to cover the structure with the timber valance, gable ends and corrugated iron. Having a few days off work late next week so with any luck I will have the canopy almost complete... 

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

The last few days I have been waiting for corrugated card to turn up from South Oz, so that I could clad the canopy. I'm still waiting ! In the mean time, I got stuck into building the station building, although this to needs to be clad in corrugated iron.

First up, the card board mock up I made was just that, a mock up. After re-measuring the building so that it would fit the canopy, I got into action. The model is constructed out of 20 thou (door paneling), 30 thou (walls & door backs)  and 40 thou (false roof) styrene. Also some various styrene strip was used, such as window/door frames. I like to use commercially available windows, it takes the headache out of making my own. I use Tichy Train Group windows for this. The doors I made myself, as Tichy doors are a little under scale for OO. Please note, like my goods shed, it is a low relief building.

V The front wall was cut, window and door openings removed, lower stone edging shaved and glued in place and one side wall put on to hold the structure upright whilst I built the rest. You can just make out a shadow of the bench in the store room. Further on, I decided to leave the interior out, as it will not be seen from under the canopy.

post-14327-0-48225000-1373809310_thumb.jpg

V Test fitting the front wall into the canopy posts. With a little filing and a slither of styrene added, it soon fitted perfectly.

post-14327-0-55826100-1373809709_thumb.jpg

V The doors I made from 30 thou backing and 20 thou paneling. Yes, the outer panels do look oversize, but that is so they have a surface for fixing to the back of the front wall.

post-14327-0-86045800-1373809925_thumb.jpg

V The doors turned out ok, so I test fitted them and the windows with the help of a little masking tape.

post-14327-0-70352400-1373810024_thumb.jpg

V Next up was to glue in the roof formers/internal/external walls. This particular area was problematic as the roof former sits over the doorway of the lean-to store room.

post-14327-0-96948000-1373810194_thumb.jpg

V Rear of the 'styrene carpentry' over the store room doorway. You can see the bench I put in, but won't be seen. It does act as a corner brace for the front/side wall.

post-14327-0-64127800-1373810279_thumb.jpg

V All roof formers/internal/external walls fitted. The walls are longer than the face of the building to allow it to sit on the platform edge and also be firmly planted on the baseboard. The blackened styrene is the extra bracing to hold the steps in place (see above pic). Hopefully once all the doors are fitted, the blackened area will look like a gap between the floor and door bottoms.

post-14327-0-72609400-1373810418_thumb.jpg

V With the rear wall and the false roof fitted, it is starting to really take shape.

post-14327-0-20127300-1373810521_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Hoping the corrugated card will turn up shortly. As soon as it does, I'll clad the building, paint it, then add the painted doors and windows. Once this is all done, I can attach it to the canopy, then clad it.

Cheers, Gary.

Amazing  - just like 'buses, nothing on Callington for years, the two layouts come along at once! I suppose I ought to build one myself - I have 'an idea' - but like most such tasks something else always gets in the way.

>>>I really should of called it the 'Antipodean Kelly Bray'....

Careful now, I discovered some while ago that there is/was a Callington station in Oz, just to confuse everyone!

Amazing  - just like 'buses, nothing on Callington for years, the two layouts come along at once! I suppose I ought to build one myself - I have 'an idea' - but like most such tasks something else always gets in the way.

>>>I really should of called it the 'Antipodean Kelly Bray'....

Careful now, I discovered some while ago that there is/was a Callington station in Oz, just to confuse everyone!

You're right about that. Callington in South Australia, about 55km (34miles) south east of Adelaide...  If you replace the green hills and lush greeen trees of Callington (Cornwall) with red dusty soils (green grass after rain !), scrub and eucalypts, your getting close to Callington SA...!

Cheers, Gary.

Over the last week not a lot has happened with the station building/canopy. I have been waiting on the corrugated card, which arrived in the post late Monday afternoon. I'd rather spend a few solid hours on the roofing, rather than a few hours throughout the week nights/evenings. So, to give me another project, I started and finished one of the two Signal boxes.

A big thankyou has to go out to Paul (PD&SWJR) for supplying me with a few sketched plans (front & side view) of the signal box, so thankyou Paul !

I'm happy with how the project turned out, even though the side wall windows are not 100% correct, but 99% near enough ! The whole box is made of styrene (Evergreen sheet and clapboard) and the windows and door are a Tichy Train Group product. The brick piers are coutesy of Scalescenes and the corrugated iron from Broad Gauge Bodies (from South Australia). The windows will need glazing and I'll use Testors Clear Window Maker.

So, here it is...

post-14327-0-82511200-1374233945_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-48683600-1374233973_thumb.jpg

As always, the camera can be cruel ! From proper viewing distance, the paint doesn't look that bad. Maybe a little weathering in time will hide some of the dodgy painting....

Cheers, Gary.

• 1 month later...

Well its been atleast 6 weeks since the last update and I have resumed work on the station over-all roof/canopy/trainshed. The corrugated card finally came, but there have been other priorities, so not so much modelling. Although over the last week or so, I have managed to make some progress on the canopy.

post-14327-0-04900100-1377604625_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in the above pic, the shed has grown a back wall , which includes all the framing and a window. The terminus end (left) has gained a small 'weather wall', with a window and associated framing. The Gunnislake end (right) has had the framing for the large slide doors for the station entrance and small loading dock. The corrugated card I have used is actually HO scale, but still looks the part. The shed has been given a coat of paint or two, the colour being Humbrol Satin Cream (no.71). The front posts, door and window trim has been painted Revell Mid Green (no. 363) and the lower edge of the building in Humbrol Light Stone (no.89). All the painting had to be done prior to fitting the roofing iron, as it makes it a lot easier to manipulate the airbrush around, to ensure good coverage.

post-14327-0-39650500-1377605267_thumb.jpg

^ This pic shows some of the framing that went into the back wall and around station entrance/loading dock. All the framing on the wall is a mix of 1.0 x 1.5mm, 0.75 x 1.0mm and some 0.75 x 2.5mm around the door frames. You can see where one of the glazing bars for the roof skylight has come adrift. I need not worry as when I get onto the glazing, this will push it back into position.

post-14327-0-29278700-1377605699_thumb.jpg

^ The opposite end (terminus end) where windows are present in the back wall and the 'weather wall'. I studied a few photos that were sent to me to get the framing as acurate as possible. The windows are as close as a match as I could find. Again, these are from my box of Tichy Train Group windows & doors. Either clear styrene or 'glass maker' will be used to fill in the empty panes.

Overall, I'm pleased with the way the build has come along. I am having second thoughts regarding the doors I made up. They don't particularly look to square. I think I'll have another go with these. The next stage will be making up the roof glazing, which will be made from Evergreen styrene clear sheet and some 1.0 x 0.75mm strip for the outside frames. Again i will paint the frames prior to attaching to the clear sheet. I don't like the idea of cleaning clear styrene !

Cheers for now,

Gary.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After starting another thread regarding measurements of a Provendors store, fellow member of this parish, 'uax6' came up with the goods, see here : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76786-detail-drawing-of-concrete-provender-store-wanted/ With all these measurements that uax6 provided, it gave me an oportunity to reproduce the shed that stood at Callington.

Here is one of the best pics I have of the shed. I do know that it was a reasonably large (long) shed, actually longer than the two road engine shed.

post-14327-0-55620500-1385286231_thumb.jpg 

Having drawn up a plan, it was time to gather the materials to build this shed. Four of Evergreen Styrene strip, 3 packets of Plastruct 3.2mm triangle and some styrene sheet was all I needed to get started.

post-14327-0-47674900-1385287854_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-50176900-1385289053_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-21706400-1385289125_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-83545600-1385289348_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-55724200-1385289687_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-20942200-1385289995_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-63832900-1385290285_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-30167000-1385290786_thumb.jpg

Well, I don't know what happened to the text that accompanied the pics...?? :dontknow: Regardless, the saying goes, "a picture speaks a thousand words...". Anyway, not to worry. Here is an overall pic of the shed so far...

post-14327-0-49230400-1385291878_thumb.jpg

Next up will be the piers, doors, roof, small loading platforms, gutters and downpipes.

Cheers, Gary.

Hi RailWest,

Yep, this is a large shed. Just to give an idea of size, here are two portions of photographs I had sent to me over twelve months ago.

post-14327-0-66420300-1385466472_thumb.jpg

Left ; from the Gunnislake end.                                                         Right ; from the platform.

When you compare the Provendors/Goods store to the two road engine shed, it is quite large. I had a count of the individual piers to give me a better representation of the overal size, from other photographs I have.

Cheers, Gary.

I have been building the doors and piers and I have constructed the roof since my previous post.

The piers are a simple affair utilising the Plastruct 3.2mm triangular rod. Gluing 6 lengths together to form a hexagonal rod, this was then cut up to approximately 15mm lengths. After filing on the ends reasonable flat, I glued on the pier caps. These were punched out of 1mm (40 thou) styrene sheet. These were glued to the base under the bearers, after the following was completed.

post-14327-0-88508300-1385890464_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-69543700-1385890549_thumb.jpg

I decided to tackle the doors in two ways. The three doors that are on the rail side will not be seen, but the end doors as shown in the black & white photo at the beginning (post 14), will be seen. The 3 back doors were constructed using 0.75 x1.5mm strip, glued together to form the door batterns. This was then edged with 0.75 x 2.0mm strip on the ends, top and bottom. A strip of off-cut was glued across the back of this as to secure to the insde walls of the shed.

post-14327-0-55794500-1385890319_thumb.jpg

The end doors were made of 1.5mm grooved sheet. One set of doors were made closed (one piece), whilst the other set are modelled open. I pretty much followed the same technique above for the closed doors. (why I didn't choose this method for the back doors, I don't know ?). The open doors were made pretty much in the same manner, but as two seperate doors and including all the internal framing/cross bracing. The outside frame is 1.0 x 1.5mm strip and the cross bracing is 0.25 x 1.5mm, whilst the top and bottom strips are 0.75 x 2.0mm styrene.

post-14327-0-41146700-1385890352_thumb.jpg

The roof section was then covered in 0.5mm (20 thou) styrene sheet, to form a false roof, essentially a support for the corrugated card. Extra internal supports were made up to stop any sagging. After this had dried, lengths of corrugated card was cut to 6' wide strips. These strips were then glued on the styrene, starting on the bottom edge, using Zappa Gap. A couple more strips of corrugated card were cut at approximately 5'6", for the higher length of corrugated asbestos. A strip of 0.5mm styrene strip was cut and glued onto the styrene 'false roof', to help raise the lower edge of the card to give the over-layed effect.

post-14327-0-72281700-1385890386_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-00492300-1385890438_thumb.jpg

The rectagular styrene piece on the wall above (right side) is where the open door will be located. These open doors will be secured after the model is painted.

Next up will be the ridge capping, gable ends and hopefully, the unloading platforms.

Cheers, Gary.

I can only repeat my last comment, when you post it is well worth a look, excellent modelling, and though the idea may not be yours originally your modelling efforts are outstanding.

You should show this on Robinson and Downes, a number of fine modellers who pop in there would love this work.

Oh and you really should put a link to this on your signature, so people know where to find it.

Thanks Jaz.

I have taken your advice on the link with my signature. I might throw a few pics up on the Robinson & Downes thread after the models are finished. Allan has made some nice comments towards my modelling on another forum, and I hold these comments with high esteem ! But to be truthful, there is a long way to go before I get to either Iain or Allan's quality of craftsmanship !

Cheers, Gary.

Perhaps but a bunch of gifted newbie modellers do post their work there too on occasion, many of them use Show me your scratch built building, where I am sure your work will be appreciated. Plus you can pick up ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has been some time since I last updated this thread as I have been waiting on an order of styrene from the UK. Unfortunately there are not enough hobby shops in Sydney that sell Plastruct, it seems that most retailers prefer Evergreen Styrene. Oh well, atleast I ordered enoght styrene to keep me busy...

So, I had been waiting on the Plastruct 3.2mm triagular rod, which arrived yesterday. I tucked in straight away and glued up myself 17 more piers. Once these had cured, they were attached to the caps and then to the shed. I didn't bother putting the centre run of piers in as they won't be seen. I will most possibly build up a small box for the shed to sit on and landscape upto the piers.

The next step was to complete the roof, which included ridge capping, barge boards and guttering, and ofcourse down pipes. The ridge capping is made up of two and a bit lengths of 0.28 x 2.5mm styrene (EG 105) and the same lengths of 2mm diameter styrene rod, (EG 212). The strip styrene was glued with Zappa Gap along the top edge of the corrugated card, on either side, leaving a small gap. Once this had cured, a bed of MEK was run down and the 2mm rod was laid on top. Job done.

The next was to build up the barge boards. This again used the 0.28 x 2.5mm strip, cut to length and angle and glued in place to hide the corrugated card ends. The top edge of the barge boards had a length of 1mm rod (EG 211) glued to it to represent the rolled edge, (see pic). This was replicated on both ends. Job done.

The gutters are made of 2mm Channel (EG 262). The ends were capped off, filed smooth and then the length was glued to the top rail (just below roof). For down pipes I used 1.2mm rod (EG 221). these were suitably bent to fit over the piers and caps. There are 4 down pipes per side. Job done.

Having done all that, I could continue the posts on the shed ends that run up above the top rail to the barge boards. These are two pieces of 0.25 x 1.5mm strip (EG 103), layered over each other. Why, because one piece fits between the top rail and barge board, whereas the other has to overlap the bargeboard. Another job completed !

I'm happy with the way the model is coming along and with all the external work complete, the primer came out. It has been a warm day in Sydney so that thetwo or three thin coats of grey primer dried pretty rapidly. The whole model was primed now for painting. I had to find a suitable colour to replicate that worn/weathered concrete and I decided on a small 'tester pot' of Dulux Crewelwork, this being a warm ivory colour it should do the job. This paint is acryllic and a few thin coats were applied in no time at all. I wanted the grey to show through 'just'. Again, the whole model received a coat of ivory, the walls, the roof, the piers, everything.

As always, models look pristine after painting, so outcame some Humbrol acryllic (RC 410, Maunsell Green). this was thinned down and a wash was applied around the post recesses and also some complete panels. The roof was streaked here and there as well. A little bit of thinned down black was also applied here and there as well. A little more green was applied around the base of the piers where the down pipes discharge. The open doors, closed doors, gutters and down pipes were also painted in the same green to complete the model to date.

post-14327-0-96087600-1387451619_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-91891100-1387451651_thumb.jpg

post-14327-0-45553200-1387451677_thumb.jpg

Next to do will be the unloading/loading platforms on the rail side doors. Hopefully these will be completed and in position before christmas.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to All !

Gary.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Not a lot has been done on Kelly Bray recently as I have been waiting on a few bits n' pieces from the UK, noteably windows for the engine shed. But whilst waiting I have been building my self a small shunting plank, Linden Ford. This is created out of some older new track and some very second hand track. I decided to build this as a way of filling time and a place where I can run my non dcc locos and older Hornby rollingstock. I really should start another thread to show case the build, but here are a few pics regardless. 

Overall plan...

post-14327-0-36187600-1395545120_thumb.jpg

Siding lengths, showing how many wagons etc, can fit into a siding. The platform is long enough for a two car DMU or a locomotive and one coach.

post-14327-0-91691600-1395545559_thumb.jpg

The landscaping/formations taking shape

post-14327-0-33086400-1395545687_thumb.jpg

And where the layout is currently, in the finishing touches stage. Seven weeks had past during the pic above and this below.

post-14327-0-35006200-1395545798_thumb.jpg

So far, this weekend is commemorating the eigth week of the build and yes the trains do run ! If anyone is interested, I'll post up a thread on this little project.

I'll get back into Kelly Bray shortly...

Cheers, Gary.

Archived