Thanks freebs and Jim.

You are right Jim, it has been a diversion, but it has been good to do some scenics. I enjoy the scenics part of the hobby quite a bit, afterall, it is this that brings a layout to life. As for Kelly Bray, the next project is to start on the engine shed now that I have all the styrene, the correct windows and a card mock-up of the shed. Watch this space....

Cheers, Gary.

Hi all,

Not a lot has been done on Kelly Bray recently as I have been waiting on a few bits n' pieces from the UK, noteably windows for the engine shed. But whilst waiting I have been building my self a small shunting plank, Linden Ford. This is created out of some older new track and some very second hand track. I decided to build this as a way of filling time and a place where I can run my non dcc locos and older Hornby rollingstock. I really should start another thread to show case the build, but here are a few pics regardless. 

Overall plan...

attachicon.gifShunting Puzzle 1 Resized.jpg

Siding lengths, showing how many wagons etc, can fit into a siding. The platform is long enough for a two car DMU or a locomotive and one coach.

attachicon.gifDSCN1555 resized.jpg

The landscaping/formations taking shape

attachicon.gifDSCN1601 resized.jpg

And where the layout is currently, in the finishing touches stage. Seven weeks had past during the pic above and this below.

attachicon.gifDSCN2060 resized.jpg

So far, this weekend is commemorating the eigth week of the build and yes the trains do run ! If anyone is interested, I'll post up a thread on this little project.

I'll get back into Kelly Bray shortly...

Cheers, Gary.

I like the backdrop nice colours. The buildings are really nicely set off. And the scenic colouring is also beautiful.

But I have two complaints.

1. We need close ups of those lovely trees in the background.

2. Your layout is much too small...there is no incentive for you to carry on building such exquisite buildings.

Tut Tut.....

Seriously....it looks good enough to be exhibited. Superb.

Hi Jaz,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, you are right about the size of the layout, but it was something to do whilst I waited on deliveries. I will say that I haven't had the time of late to do more modelling, but I do have the engine shed to build for Kelly Bray.

As for exhibiting, I went to a small exhibition today (in Sydney) and showed one of the exhibitors a few pics of the plank, as he is about to embark on a OO guage GWR layout, as he normally models N gauge. He was impressed and asked if I had thought about showing it ?? I have thought about it as a few members of another forum (YMRC), seem to agree that it should be exhibited. Maybe I might build one for exhibitions... (maybe). If so, I'll start at one of the smaller exhibitions, just to see what sort of response I get.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked 'Jacks Corner', thanks for the comments. That is built for my son, another railway buff. I still have a play with this layout, adding little details here and there. All three layouts can keep me busy, when I have the time ofcourse.

You also requested a few close-ups of the trees, so here are two. The first, just after adding the flock/leaves to the frames.

post-14327-0-76739100-1396789534_thumb.jpg

and, the trees in place on the layout.

post-14327-0-39221700-1396789695_thumb.jpg

Cheers again,

Gary.

• 3 months later...

Thanks C&WR. Sometimes the simplest of solutions are in my boys toy box !

This layout has taken a step back at the moment whilst I continue on with Linden Ford (inglenook layout). I will be continuing on with this layout after I exhibit Linden Ford.

Cheers, Gary.

• 4 months later...

Wow, how time flies by. :O

It was March, earlier this year that I mentioned that the engine shed would be up and running soon, or I should say under construction... Well, it wasn't   :no: nup, not at all. Until now... I have started on the shed and will be posting pics soon of the wall frames, when time allows. I have been busy with the shunting plank 'Linden Ford' (see post 30, or link below). It has been to one exhibition (4 weeks ago) and now I have another invite for next year.

I do intend to get Kelly Bray back on the agenda again, I promise... :wink_mini:

Cheers, Gary.

As promised, some pics of the engine shed under construction.

post-14327-0-46333100-1418158198_thumb.jpg

The use of Lego bricks do help in construction. The single width Lego brick is a scale 2' wide, whereas the double brick is 4' wide.

post-14327-0-02359900-1418158232_thumb.jpg

The smaller Lego brick (left of window) scales out to be 2' x 4', which is ideal for spacing the noggins.

post-14327-0-06366700-1418158257_thumb.jpg

Two completed side frames with the brick base attached. The brick is Slaters, sandwiched over a strip of 40 thou styrene sheet. The windows are from York Model Making. The framing pieces are Evergreen Styrene 2.0mm x 1.5mm strip, which would equate to 6" x 4".

post-14327-0-04114300-1418158277_thumb.jpg

Close up of the brick work, frame and window. Not every noggin is perfectly level. Then again, I guess the real (12" : 1') shed wouldn't be either !

Cheers, Gary.

Thanks for the kind comments, and yes Lego has more than one use ! I had used Lego to help hold up the station canopy during the build.

post-14327-0-31622100-1418509395_thumb.jpg

Very handy the old & new coloured interlocking building blocks !

The back wall has been constructed as well as the roof trusses. Please ignore the mix-match of embosed brick styrene in the right hand corner. This is something I don't normally do, but I know that there will be a cupboard/tool cabinet right in front, so it won't be seen once in place on the layout.

post-14327-0-21642200-1418509619_thumb.jpg

^ The rear wall frame. This is as close to the original as I could manage. I chose the most relevant timber details and left some out. I call it 'modellers license...'

post-14327-0-08667300-1418509736_thumb.jpg

^ The roof trusses were made using a simple card template. All the styrene strip is cut using a 'chopper' I purchased earlier this year. Below is the roof trusses with the internal bracing. I didn't have a clear enough photo of the original trusses at Callington, so once again, 'modellers license' comes to the fore. I actually took a look at John Wiffen's Scalescenes engine shed kit to inspire me with the construction details.

post-14327-0-89162000-1418509950_thumb.jpg

The roof gable ends can be seen in the above pic. The gable on the left is the interior view with framing, the one on the right is the weatherboard exterior. Sorry about the out-of-focus pic, it was getting late last night ! Below is a close up of the weatherboard gable end.

post-14327-0-44184500-1418510189_thumb.jpg

I now have the rest of Sunday to try and get all the individual sections together and up onto the wall frames. Time will tell... :wink_mini:

Cheers, Gary.

Yesterday I managed to bring all the individual pieces together. It now actually looks like an engine shed, well maybe more like an engine shed 'skeleton'... :wink_mini:

post-14327-0-21142000-1418639181_thumb.jpg

^ I can tell you that there is a few metres of styrene strip in this frame now, and more to come ! Again (although not photographed), Lego was used to space the roof trusses. There is 10' (or 5 lego bricks) between each truss.

post-14327-0-64530900-1418639256_thumb.jpg

The back wall section has been claded in Evergreen Styrene 2060 V-Groove (1.5mm spacing)

post-14327-0-44384300-1418639296_thumb.jpg

^ The rear extension of the shed houses what I can only desribe as 'crew quaters and stores'. This is made from 40thou (1mm) styrene sheet. The grey window is one from the 'Titchy Train Group' box of windows, that has been slightly modified from a round top.

post-14327-0-00099800-1418639365_thumb.jpg

^ Looking along the wall towards the rear extension.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough of the V-Groove sheet to line the roof trusses with. As usual, my local hobby shop didn't have any in stock either... :no:  It's on order, but I have to wait for it to come in, hopefully before the weeks out ... :scratchhead: Until then, I'll work on the sky lights/glazed roof sections.

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last update/post on building the shed, I have installed the skylight frames and glass, completely covered the walls and roof with corrugated card, attached a smoke/weather cowling over the peak of the roof and given the shed a paint inside and out. Thanks to the response I got on another thread (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93902-lswrsr-engine-shed-interior-colour/), I have settled on an off white/cream colour for the interior and added a little weathering inside.

One modelling conundrum I faced was 'how was I to make the curved corrugated iron cowl for the roof out of corrugated card ?

I thought about this very hard, for a few minutes anyway, before I remembered reading about painting paper/card with glue or shellac to form it into a hard material. So, once I measured the diametre of the roof cowl, I found a suitable piece of timber dowel, wrapped the dowel in corrugated card, secured it firmly with some tape, then gave it a liberal coating of MEK. Problem solved.

A few pics of progress...

post-14327-0-80278000-1419422450_thumb.jpg

^ Sky, light frames and some roof lining (being applied)

post-14327-0-82938500-1419421437_thumb.jpg

^ Corrugated card wrapped around dowel. Waiting for it to dry, which actually didn't take too long... (summer down under)

post-14327-0-47408100-1419421462_thumb.jpg

^ This is how the card came off the dowel. I drew three lines on the card before rolling it onto the dowel. Two outside lines were the cut-out lines and a centre line for making sure the card was aligned straight prior to application of MEK. The middle line also helped in centrering the cowl onto the shed roof.

post-14327-0-96678500-1419421480_thumb.jpg

^ Painted, inside and out. There are still exterior window frames to be secured onto the walls, guttering and down pipes, followed by a little touch-up of paint here and there.

post-14327-0-70520500-1419421502_thumb.jpg

^ Inside the shed. Apologies for the clarity of the pic, but it does show off some of the roof weathering/soot gathered on the roof lining and walls.

Not everything went to plan...

I had to secure the sky light glass prior to applying the roofing iron and for painting reasons, the clear styrene had to be masked. Managed to get the roof sprayed with a few darker shades here and there to represent the different sheets of iron. After the paint had dried it was time to remove the masking, when on removal, it pulled the clear styrene off, which lifted and tore some of the now painted roofing sheets.... :nono:  After a few choice words  :angry: , and many deep breathes :swoon: , I did end up repairing the damage... ;)

Hopefully no more hiccups....

Next job on the agenda is to add some barge boards, gable trims, window frames, gutters and down pipes.., then I'll start on detailing the interior.

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for the festive season and 2015 !

Cheers, Gary.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

You're right about that. Callington in South Australia, about 55km (34miles) south east of Adelaide...  If you replace the green hills and lush greeen trees of Callington (Cornwall) with red dusty soils (green grass after rain !), scrub and eucalypts, your getting close to Callington SA...!

Cheers, Gary.

Coming in late here Gary but read the thread after our chat at Liverpool today.

Callington SA is a fascinating place, with a lot of industrial archaeological heritage from early mining days.

post-21039-0-70922200-1444032064_thumb.jpg

Archived