I'm seeking diagrams/drawings of the BR Precast Provender/Goods store. I know that these came in various sizes (length/width) to suit the needs of the railway/trade. I also know that they were produced by Bachmann and Ratio (OO), but I have also been told that they vary in scale size. I would even be happy with some dimensions such as concrete wall section, door size, roof pitch angle, height above rail etc.

Can anyone help ??

Cheers, Gary.

Plans, and details of how to model  a similar building appeared in an old edition of Model Railways during the late 1970s - early 1980s in the long running and informative "LMS Lineside" series.

IIRC the building featured 'may' have been a sectional asbestos building ,

I have the article filed at home.

Brian R

There is a small one available free as a download kit in either wood or concrete block construction from Scalescenes

http://scalescenes.com/products/R002

the kit is a free download so you can loose nothing even if you just use it as a template for a larger model or print off several to make a lot for all over your layout

I have no commercial interest in the company 

but am a very satisfied customer (especially of the FREE stuff :sungum: )

There is a small one available free as a download kit in either wood or concrete block construction from Scalescenes

http://scalescenes.com/products/R002

the kit is a free download so you can loose nothing even if you just use it as a template for a larger model or print off several to make a lot for all over your layout

I have no commercial interest in the company 

but am a very satisfied customer (especially of the FREE stuff :sungum: )

I know of that kit. The reference to the 'concrete block' is only for the footings. Unfortunaetly not what I'm after, but a great kit regardless. I have been in touch with John (Scalescenes) in regards to producing a BR Precast Concrete Provenders/Goods Store, and the reply was, "hmmm". Now whether that be a 'positive' or 'maybe' hmmm, I don't know !

I have also gone through the index and came across a thread on these buildings (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26072), but no dimensions...

Thanks anyway !

Gary.

• RMweb Premium

Plans, and details of how to model  a similar building appeared in an old edition of Model Railways during the late 1970s - early 1980s in the long running and informative "LMS Lineside" series.

IIRC the building featured 'may' have been a sectional asbestos building ,

I have the article filed at home.

Brian R

Yes it is an asbestos building. It is in Model Railways 1975 October page 513.

I wonder how many died of Asbestosis from working in and around these buildings?

:bad:

I wonder how many died of Asbestosis from working in and around these buildings?

Funnily enough, my grandfather died of asbestosis, after lagging pipes for the Cardiff Gas Light & Coke Co. using a wet mixture of asbestos, applied with bare hands. To say it was a slow, lingering death is an understatement.

During WWII he spent several nights atop the gas holders at Grangetown gas works in Cardiff with buckets of sand extinguishing parachute flares and incendiaries dropped by the Germans...........

His attitude was 'if the gasholder went up, I wouldn't have known about it' !!!!!!

As for the 'provender store' I have found the article too - but see I've been beaten to it !

Brian R

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi, here is a photo of the Provender Store at Masham in Yorkshire.  Obviously the railway is no more, but the station is a campsite where I stayed recently.  The goods shed is now the site office.

post-19248-0-94596100-1380659451.jpg

Yes it is an asbestos building. It is in Model Railways 1975 October page 513.

Asbestos sheets are not a problem, unless you cut or break them then the dust is the problem as are a most other dusts. The real nasty stuff is the asbestos is the one used for lagging. But it has all be put under one label, We had problems in the building trade with modern cement fibre boards being labled as dangerous by the so called knowledgable bodies.

Putting that aside asbestos lagging should be treated with the care the nasty stuff deserves.

Archived