Amazing! My Magazine Arrived Early

iL Dottore

I am quite chuffed. My print copy of Classic 2-Rail Modelling arrived early (I know that I should read it on the holoweb, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist....)

post-123-12629754862221_thumb.jpg

Another excellent issue. The table of contents include:

• The Editor's Waffle where the editor wonders when, if ever, will the East Coast electrification be finished and asks "why is the only Maglev line in the UK between the Eurotunnel and Stratford International?".
  • The Layout of The Month: C2RM goes to Switzerland to examine the Basellandschaftlicheenglischemodelleisenbahnverien's huge layout West Stratford International. Started in 2010 and still not completed, the layout is both large and prototypically accurate. "Pendon on Steroids" says our editor.
  • The history of the prototype series looks at the pre-45 grouping TOC AYORKTrain whose lime green and fuchsia colour scheme is always popular with modellers
  • Although popular in the US and on the continent for the last 20 years, CAD driven laser cutting units which use ceramiplast blanks to creat prototypically accurate models has never really taken off in the UK. But now, silmultaneously, Bachby and Hornmann release their entry level versions - we test `em "Eyeball-To-Eyeball"
  • Wireless controlled SPoMoCs (SelfPoweredMotorisingChipset) have revolutionised model railways, doing away with track power and giving a true driver's experience. We test the SwissElektro 666A, Tested To Destruction examines the new sound and smell SPoMoC from the Swiss Gnomes
  • "The Guvnor's Says..." masterclass looks at how to reprogramme the Bachby Class 895 to get prototypical passenger sliding door control

Plus

• The blogettes and letters (including an amusing selections of letters from the infamous Mr Trellis of North Wales - he of "DCC is just a fad" fame)

A great read!

Guest dilbert

The OP forgot to mention the historical article on Southern semaphore signalling.

There is an interesting photo of a Southern signal post which is neither of the square tube nor the round post variety, but what is described as a "curvy" upright.

The dolly detail is obscure, but it is clear that the signal arm is set at danger.

... dilbert

I have to say I prefer to stick to organic eyeballs with traditional lenses rather than the new laser cut variety, even though I know many people swear by the new technology. The quality control on Hornmann eyeballs has been questioned by many

C2RM is sadly still very parochial in its choice of subject matter. When will we see an article on modelling the broad gauge Martian mining systems appear in this publication? And as for print - well, those of us in the Colonies have to wait 6 months for anything physical to arrive by ship , and anything other than radio-digital holocopy is completely useless out here. Even ordering a Bachby class 895 can be a struggle for us - Scouser Magrail confirmed my order 5 months ago and debitted my account immediately - but the shipping status report says it will be another 6 weeks before it is delivered to me. Modellers in the Old World have it easy, believe me.

Yours, On Another Planet

I dont know why you're all moaning about content, I've been telling you for eighty years - there will never be a big enough market for an all-modern magazine :huh:

Anyway, what about that Hornby short wheelbase coke wagon? It's been in the catalogue well over a century now, it really is time they did some decent wagons :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I can't see the attraction of outdated physical models when any half-decent virtual reality system will allow you to experience the railway company and era of your choice without taking up valuable space and resources.

Roll on the time when the practice of making models is relegated to history, like cooking and map-reading were many years ago.

I know that I should read it on the holoweb, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist....)

I suspect iL Dottore has been using an illegal Nostalgia Patch again; as everyone knows, the HoloWeb went down in May 2053 when EU_UK2 transferred the OpticNet to its servers (just after MRJ had decided to publish an editorial email address. Cue HoloLaughter).

Of course things had been a bit wobbly for a year or two, ever since the infamous HoloPoll on RMWeb37 when 7.8 billion members ensured B*** P****** came top in a rabid HoloFrothList. Andyroid Y wasn't too chuffed.

I am disappointed there are no articles for those modellers using telepathic command control (TCC) AGAIN this month and as such will not be renewing my subscription.

Despite all the froth about TCC I, for one, am sure that SPoMoCs will continue to be available for at least 5 years..................................................rolleyes.gif

Despite all the froth about TCC I, for one, am sure that SPoMoCs will continue to be available for at least 5 years..................................................

I hope so. I have every single version of the 6000 Class 895 sub-variants (versions 895a - 895zzz) and converting them to TCC would be far too expensive...

I've heard about the broad gauge Martian mining systems, weren't they created by Marc Brunel XIVth? (the one who claimed that the problem with his famous GWR ancestor was that his ancestor "wasted his time dabbling in narrow gauge").

One question, has anyone had any success in replicating the Class 895 LED clusters in 1mm? I can't get mine to work.

As for the comment about virtual reality systems, doesn't Ian know that direct cortex brain-cap implants were banned under the 2075 Scunthorpe agreement and without those, virtual reality is only 3 dimensional - without the sound, smells and realistic action you can get with a good SPoMoC system.

• RMweb Gold

I want a magazine totally dedicated to modelling the Caledonian Railway exclusively T scale - why doesn't someone do this? There MUST be a big demand for this!

I take it that would be a model of the ENTIRE Caledonian Railway :P

I take it that would be a model of the ENTIRE Caledonian Railway :P

Of course, but only between the years 1898 and 1902 - I wouldn't want the magazine to feature anything outside that time period. Oh yes, and the magazine must be on thick high clay content art paper and be free with no adverts!

• RMweb Premium

Of course, but only between the years 1898 and 1902 - I wouldn't want the magazine to feature anything outside that time period. Oh yes, and the magazine must be on thick high clay content art paper and be free with no adverts!

Well there is Practical Caledonian Miniaturist, but that only tends to cover 1894 - 1899. Bad luck.

Well there is Practical Caledonian Miniaturist, but that only tends to cover 1894 - 1899. Bad luck.

I got a first issue of that one but I didn't like the subscription present. Those 'draw and bring to life' pencils are fun but there's never enough green to do the grass AND the trees. :D

• RMweb Gold

Any news on the Narrow Gauge version of T Gauge?

Never mind your actual models!

I've been privy to a bit of advanced information from Dapollenhausen Intercontinental, all this effort we put into creating accurate historical models will soon be a thing of the past! Caledonian in 'T' gauge - forget it - go direct to the real thing, when they introduce their latest Holotemporal-Converter disk! HTC allows you to experience the past as it happened! Just specify the time period you would like to view! I'm eagerly awaiting my trial pack, covering tea brewing and card games in the Bath Green Park shunters cabin from 1830hrs to 2145hrs on 29/2/61! :lol:

It's true that the early disk machines had a nasty habit of inadvertantly transferring the participant back to the days of the French Revolution, but the software's been refined now and is much more compatible with Windows Vistula-Implants 80.442...

Never mind your actual models!

I've been privy to a bit of advanced information from Dapollenhausen Intercontinental, all this effort we put into creating accurate historical models will soon be a thing of the past! Caledonian in 'T' gauge - forget it - go direct to the real thing, when they introduce their latest Holotemporal-Converter disk! HTC allows you to experience the past as it happened! Just specify the time period you would like to view! I'm eagerly awaiting my trial pack, covering tea brewing and card games in the Bath Green Park shunters cabin from 1830hrs to 2145hrs on 29/2/61! :lol:

It's true that the early disk machines had a nasty habit of inadvertantly transferring the participant back to the days of the French Revolution, but the software's been refined now and is much more compatible with Windows Vistula-Implants 80.442...

Funny you should say that. I had one of the earlier versions, so thought I'd try it out last week whilst "rmWeb-global international (Europe- West)" was having its usual server problems.

I got transported back to Euston Road where this Cornish guy had laid out a circle of track and was offering rides to people. Overhead a lot saying it'd never catch on.

I'm still waiting for my ultra-sonic virtual screwdriver as was promised as a new subscriber. Every day for the three star days I've been to the solar system telenet post but it's still not arrived. This takes me back to my grandfather complaining of late delivery of subsciption magazines in the 20 hundreds.

Archived