Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Southport Road Goods

sn

Brian, Hoover,

Ranger, thanks.

The two buildings for the backscene are old pics , one is copied from a black and white postcard I came across - i think the building was in Leeds, and the other a pic from the web that the owner allowed me to use.

Since building this I have become a big advocate of small layouts - They can be LOTS of fun! Most importantly the end of the build is quickly in sight and so keeps momentum high.

• Like 1

Brian, Hoover,

Ranger, thanks.

The two buildings for the backscene are old pics , one is copied from a black and white postcard I came across - i think the building was in Leeds, and the other a pic from the web that the owner allowed me to use.

Since building this I have become a big advocate of small layouts - They can be LOTS of fun! Most importantly the end of the build is quickly in sight and so keeps momentum high.

SN Totally agree large layouts are fine but the smaller ones are definitely more fun and probably more akin to what most people can achieve at home.  It is a shame but there seems to be a run on large layouts in certain areas of the modelling press at the moment which is a bit off putting for those with not a lot of room seeking inspiration.

Anyway Southport Goods is developing nicely, keep up the good work and posts.

Well I hope you're satisfied Sir.

Your super little layout was just the inspirational straw on the proverbial camel that made me make a start on "Akenfield" at the weekend!

Less is more indeed, with little in the way of actual "stuff" on it, you're free to run what you like, when you like, how you like. Lovely!

C6T.

Well I hope you're satisfied Sir.

Your super little layout was just the inspirational straw on the proverbial camel that made me make a start on "Akenfield" at the weekend!

Less is more indeed, with little in the way of actual "stuff" on it, you're free to run what you like, when you like, how you like. Lovely!

C6T.

That's great to hear. I look forward to seeing your Akenfield  layout emerge. What have you planned for it?

hi excellent layout what size is the layout.

cheers

It is 5' 3" by 1 foot!

As you will see there is a kind of temporary extension to the fiddle line (not yard!) which adds another few inches to this.

The thing I like most about it is the weight as being constructed out of foamboard with a hardboard scenic top it is remarkable light.

That's great to hear. I look forward to seeing your Akenfield layout emerge. What have you planned for it?

It's a teeny-weeny goods yard with an even smaller budget. Bits of track that were laying around (hence it's awfulness). A running line alongside allows running round and a minimal passenger service.

Anyway, this is your thread! More pics please!

C6T.

I really like this, SN. It reminds me of looking down at Huskisson Goods from the line going into Exchange back in the day. Good work!

Frank

The sort of chord I wanted it to hit, Frank. Cheers

• 1 month later...

Sorry on my comments about my thoughts on Liverpool folk, I'm sure there are many Scousers that don't nick stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it their a open minded lot the scousers I should know my partner's one. Anyhow if there were any thieves about the Jinty would be on bricks with no wheels !!!!!!

Anyway was.nt the Jinty pinched from Preston shed :jester:

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't worry about it their a open minded lot the scousers I should know my partner's one. Anyhow if there were any thieves about the Jinty would be on bricks with no wheels !!!!!!

Anyway was.nt the Jinty pinched from Preston shed :jester:

'Borrowed'

Just like Bath MPD 'borrowed' a Bank Hall black 5 for a run over the S&D once!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been pondering the fact that I've not doen any modelling for at least three months! Been chewing over the idea of a larger version of this layout either a new build or an extended version of it.

The question is can I face the building of that many arches x 2 again! Not sure I can as yet.

To be honest not sure I have the space anyway really, as the other side of the shed is taken up with Summerhill and I still really enjoy that layout so I'm far from ready to replace it.

Good job the shed out on our  allotment has got no 'lecie otherwise that might become a duel purpose shed!!!!

Space - the constant limiting factor of our model  railway dreams.