Hornby Class 31 speakers

sharpshooter

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of repairing a selection of Hornby Class 31's for friend, and nearly all seem to have faulty speakers. Aside from buying from any of the major DCC hobby suppliers, does anyone know of an alternate source, where I may be able to buy in bulk (like Maplin, RS etc). I need about ten 28mm 100 ohm and these do apper to be out of stock at many retailers, presumably as a result of these being an unreliable component of the model.

Alternatively, could a 4 ohm speaker be fitted, with a suitably sized resistor wired in series?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of repairing a selection of Hornby Class 31's for friend, and nearly all seem to have faulty speakers. Aside from buying from any of the major DCC hobby suppliers, does anyone know of an alternate source, where I may be able to buy in bulk (like Maplin, RS etc). I need about ten 28mm 100 ohm and these do apper to be out of stock at many retailers, presumably as a result of these being an unreliable component of the model.

Alternatively, could a 4 ohm speaker be fitted, with a suitably sized resistor wired in series?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Why don't you fit a larger speaker?

Charlie

The reason that 100ohm speakers are in short supply is that Loksound were the only sound decoder supplier that used them. Any search of a loudspeaker supplier would turn up 'nil' in any searches of 100 ohm. Since the Loksound supply was solely for the V3.5 version of the sound decoder and we are two years into the V4 which uses 4 ohms, there is little incentive to stock these speakers for what is now purely warranty or damage repair.

I believe that some suppliers have the so-called bass reflex speaker in 100 ohms and I have no doubt that there are still some 100 ohm speakers in stock somewhere but they may take some tracking down.

It is possible to use a suitable resistor in series to a 4 ohm speaker as a suitable load resistor but it is likely to have a detrimental effect on the sound performance.

Thanks Charlie, if the locos were mine I would do, but I have been tasked to repair rather than revamp......nice idea though....it may come to that if I cannot source any speakers.

Rich

If I can get some, do you want them.   Charlie

Archived