Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Airfix WW2 Bomber resupply set

Just had an email to say that the above set is in stock.  Some useful items included, many of which can be used/adapted for 4mm railway models.

Standard light utility truck

Bedford MWD/C truck

500 cc motorcycle

David Brown tractor unit

Bowser

ladder

bicycle

Fuel cans

Maintenance tower

Oh, and various bomb trollies and bombs!

Price £16.99

I understand bombs were often, if not usually in that period, moved by rail, so as well as the vehicles you may have something to put in your open wagons.

Alternatively, Airfix's new Lancaster MkII bomber does not include bombs, apparently, so anyone who buys these sets just for the vehicles could sell the bombs on to Lancaster fans...

This review might be of interest: http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=291&t=39678

Includes pics of all the parts, plus shots of the instruction sheet, so should give a very good idea of the breakdown of parts, and how easy/hard conversions might be.

Only trouble is, I'm not sure if non-members of the Airfix Tribute Forum will be able to see the photos...

Just had an email to say that the above set is in stock.  Some useful items included, many of which can be used/adapted for 4mm railway models.

Standard light utility truck

Bedford MWD/C truck

500 cc motorcycle

David Brown tractor unit

Bowser

ladder

bicycle

Fuel cans

Maintenance tower

Oh, and various bomb trollies and bombs!

Price £16.99

Thanks for the information. I have to say that I have taken a collector's route for part of this inventory, and obtained Oxford's r-t-p versions of the Bedford MW, Austin Tilly, and DB Tractor. I would not change any of these choices, but the refuelling Bowser is too attractive to ignore, and I need to restart painting somewhere.

For what its worth, there are many photos published and on line that show bomb handling. By rail, they were transported from source to railhead by ordinary open wagons, wedged by timber, single layer deep. From railhead to Bomber Airfield they could be transported by any handy lorry, civilian as well. "Doc Furniss' War" on youtube shows an example at Poddington.

PB

• RMweb Premium

The airfix airfield-related sets always were the same scale as the rest of their military vehicle range, 1/76. The slight discrepancy never seemed to worry the majority of the target market. Compared to the Stirling, the DB tractor was so small anyway it didn't matter.

I presume the David Brown tractor is the same as the one that was part of the 'Stirling' kit- if so, then examples were used in industry, both for moving trailers and, fitted with buffer-beams, as shunters.

Bass in Burton on Trent had a fleet of these used for both purposes roaming the streets and yards there "when I were a lad" but I have yet to see a photo of them there.

Phil T.

• RMweb Premium

In my military modelling days I had nominal 1/72 kits which when measured came out over a range of scales from 1/76 to 1/69, so I don't always believe the box. It's not that long since kits were labelled "00/H0" and some may still be. The only way to be sure is to measure the vehicle and compare with published dimensions from a reliable source. Some kit reviewers will do this but I don't know if this has been about long enough to have been reviewed.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

The box says 1:72

Several Airfix military vehicle kits have been described as 1:72 over the years. They aren't. The Recovery Set and other vehicles aimed at airfield dioramas nearly all scale out at 1:76 - the 6 wheel Matador refueller, the Bedford refueller (which I used to chop  and turn into 3 tonners before the advent of the current Bedford kits) all scale out to 1:76, so I would be very surprised if these were any different. Curious, but they've been doing it for years,

Best

Alastair M

• RMweb Premium

A quick search shos that the scale discussion is going on on several aircraft and MV model forums but the consensus seems to be that they are indeed 1/72 ( and therefore not truly compatible wth the older airfield sets).

Pete

Archived