is a Hornby Elite repairable

SGJ

Is the Hornby Elite repairable.

I turned mine on last week, and there was nothing on the screen and no low buzzing sound, or anything, I have just bought a new P9300 transformer and plugged it in and the same, not a peep or buzz from the controller, I am presuming that the transformer is fine as I can hear a buzz inside, so was wondering if its repairable ( the elite ) or would i be better buying a new controller e.g. Gaugemaster prodigy or something around that price

any advise welcome

SGJ

I have put the new transformer on ebay, and the old transformer with the elite  there too as needing repair.

I have been thinking about getting a new controller anyway and think that I will get a prodigy at the end of August, I like the idea of having a control knob so the lenz 100 isnt for me.

is there any other DCC Controllers with a Knob type control ( except Hornby select / elite, and Bachmann ez controller ). ?

SGJ

I'd still get the Elite repaired by Hornby before selling, you'd get a much better price.

Desk Controllers with knobs:

Digitrax Zephyr,  

Uhlenbrock Intellibox,  

ESU ECoS, 

ZTC (I'd only consider the new model when its finished, and have seen a few reports indicating relatively bug-free)

Handheld controllers with knobs:

Digitrax DT402 based Chief,  Digitrax UT4 additional handset

Uhlenbrock Daisy and Fred

Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy

NCE Cab additional handsets.

MERG DIY CBUS system.

Arguably NCE PowerCab which has a scroll-wheel rather than a knob.

There are probably a few more which to add to the list.

- Nigel

To each their own and all that but, it often amuses me that TVs, DVRs and all entertainment devices in our house's are all controlled with push button hand held controls.

What is the difference when controlling our trains?

Push button controls actually give much finer control in DCC for slow running etc.

It usually only takes a little patience to become familiar with push button control especially Lenz LH100.

Cromtonnut is right, Lenz have a LH90 knob control which, believe me, is a very good control but nowhere near as good as the LH100.

Cheers

Ian

MERG DIY CBUS system.

- Nigel

The MERG CBUS is not DCC. There is a MERG DCC system which has a very nice hand held control unit. The MERG DCC can be incorporated into the CBUS system for added flexibility.

The MERG CBUS is not DCC. There is a MERG DCC system which has a very nice hand held control unit. The MERG DCC can be incorporated into the CBUS system for added flexibility.

The MERG CBUS system (as referenced by Nigel) includes a fully integrated DCC command station and throttles (also connected by CBUS).

The MERG DCC system was a stand alone system with a unique throttle interface and no computer interface.

Andrew

To each their own and all that but, it often amuses me that TVs, DVRs and all entertainment devices in our house's are all controlled with push button hand held controls.

What is the difference when controlling our trains?

Push button controls actually give much finer control in DCC for slow running etc.

It usually only takes a little patience to become familiar with push button control especially Lenz LH100.

Cromtonnut is right, Lenz have a LH90 knob control which, believe me, is a very good control but nowhere near as good as the LH100.

Cheers

Ian

I have always had knob control (  :pleasantry:  ), from the Hornby R900 - Hm Duet plus a Clipper, Hornby Elite etc so have been accustomed to knobs for a very long time ( 36 years and 4 months to be a few days or so out ), mind I do like having the T.V. remote but only when something good is on film 4 !

SGJ

• RMweb Premium

The Elite is a good unit I have never had any trouble from the two I have owned. However I did have a transformer pack up which I thought was the controller ( same symptoms as yours). I sent it back to Hornby who replaced the transformer free of charge and it was turned around within a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, the elite has gone now, ( I am using a Gaugemaster Combi until the decision is made ).

I am torn between the Prodigy, and the ESU ECoS, the Gaugemster controller could be bought at the end of the month ( if in stock ), The ESU may be a mad purchase at Warley ( again if in stock ), but then the thing is I could get two locos and the Prodigy for the same money as the ESU unit, and as I said on Armley Moor thread

The only other contender on price alone is NCE Power cab ( http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24_111&products_id=487

), however at £137 is it any good

"Decision is never easy when it involves money for a Yorkshire Man"

SGJ

You will find many happy users of NCE Powercab among RMWeb contributers - including me (also a Yorkshire man), although I have Smart Booster and Procab as well.  I switched from Elite and Select two or three years ago and have never regretted it.  If you like twiddling knobs rather than pressing buttins, you get a thumbwheel on Powercab/Procab that can be used for speed control instead of the press buttons.  I have however, never used any other controllers since my original trainset in the 1950s.

Harold.

You will find many happy users of NCE Powercab among RMWeb contributers - including me (also a Yorkshire man), although I have Smart Booster and Procab as well.  I switched from Elite and Select two or three years ago and have never regretted it.  If you like twiddling knobs rather than pressing buttins, you get a thumbwheel on Powercab/Procab that can be used for speed control instead of the press buttons.  I have however, never used any other controllers since my original trainset in the 1950s.

Harold.

Thanks for your reply Harold, I think I will get the power cab and see if I like it, if I don't I can then sell it on and buy the Prodigy or ECoS ( I seam to change my mind on this as often as I sleep at the moment ), 

SGJ

Thanks for your reply Harold, I think I will get the power cab and see if I like it, if I don't I can then sell it on and buy the Prodigy or ECoS ( I seam to change my mind on this as often as I sleep at the moment ), 

SGJ

I suggest working out your layout control requirements before spending.   If an ECoS is on your list alongside a PowerCab it suggests the requirements are not clear, or that you're happy to spend hundreds extra on a device where you'll only use a tiny fraction of its capabilities.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

I think one point worth bearing in mind with the Prodigy is that with the handset you have the option of either push button or rotary control for speed control, and you can switch between the two on the go endlessly. Another is that the rotary control is an encoder type. I didn't really understand what the advantage of this was until recently. It means if you are running more than one loco at the same time on the same handset, then when you switch from one to another the speed control just picks up from where it was previously. I took this to be the norm with DCC, but apparently you cannot do this with the potentiometer type rotary control handsets.

However, if you are into computer control, then another system would better, since the MRC/Gaugemaster system isn't compatible at present with the likes of JMRI etc.

Izzy

• 1 month later...

I had got the NCE powercab, and it is OK, however I am not over enthusiastic about it

I genuinely wish I had bought a controller with a knob now, To me i feel like i am trying to operate the layout with a glorified mouse wheel.

:rtfm:

I think I will save a bit more cash and get maybe the Prodigy, I like having the controller in my hand so that is great feature of the powercab, but the wheel isn't!

post-9437-0-44900800-1381658273_thumb.jpg

SGJ

• RMweb Premium

When I used Elite I had a problem with nothing happening, sent it off to Hornby and found out it was the transformer! However Hornby updated the Elite and sent it back to me with a new transformer, all for nothing.

I had got the NCE powercab, and it is OK, however I am not over enthusiastic about it

I genuinely wish I had bought a controller with a knob now, To me i feel like i am trying to operate the layout with a glorified mouse wheel.

:rtfm:

I think I will save a bit more cash and get maybe the Prodigy, I like having the controller in my hand so that is great feature of the powercab, but the wheel isn't!

attachicon.gifarmley_moor_DSCF4016.JPG

SGJ

I am sorry to hear that you are not comfortable with the NCE PowerCab.  I recently purchased on eof these and an additional ProCab handset.  I find that being able to use just one hand to control trains is a great advantage.  The Prodigy will require two hands to use.  I was using a Hornby Select and Elite before and H&M Clipper and Duette before them so have always been a knob twiddler :nono: .  The change over to the NCE system only took a few hours for acclimatisation.

I would suggest spending a couple of hours with the Power Cab and see how you get on.

I am sorry to hear that you are not comfortable with the NCE PowerCab.  I recently purchased on eof these and an additional ProCab handset.  I find that being able to use just one hand to control trains is a great advantage.  The Prodigy will require two hands to use.  I was using a Hornby Select and Elite before and H&M Clipper and Duette before them so have always been a knob twiddler :nono: .  The change over to the NCE system only took a few hours for acclimatisation.

I would suggest spending a couple of hours with the Power Cab and see how you get on.

The only down side is the wheel, The system does work well but I suppose its down to what I feel comfy with.

I don't think I would go back to the Elite now and don't think I would get the ECoS system because I like the hand held idea with the controller, so the thing for me would have to be the prodigy ( or similar ).

The NCE is what i am using at the moment but not for ever, my son may inherit it before too long along with a train set for Christmas.

SGJ

The only down side is the wheel, The system does work well but I suppose its down to what I feel comfy with.

I don't think I would go back to the Elite now and don't think I would get the ECoS system because I like the hand held idea with the controller, so the thing for me would have to be the prodigy ( or similar ).

The NCE is what i am using at the moment but not for ever, my son may inherit it before too long along with a train set for Christmas.

SGJ

Nice present!

SGJ

Before buying yet another system, I suggest considering whether a Cab06 added to the PowerCab system will meet your requirements for train control.   Its a lot smaller as a handset, has a control "knob", etc..   Cost about £60-65 from various UK dealers. 

http://ncecorporation.com/pdf/Cab06.pdf

- Nigel

Archived