Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Colas timber wagons and the odd steel carrier or two

Here's three of the IHA type wagon you can buy

Roco's Version

post-8106-0-31832300-1376231880_thumb.jpg

Piko's Version

post-8106-0-44396200-1376231952_thumb.jpg

Marklin's Version

post-8106-0-84104700-1376231974_thumb.jpg

All of these wagons are HO scale, I think in Model Rail a few years ago, It showed you how to make a OO scale version and it had the scale plans too. I still have it and I can make a copy of it and e-mail it to you if you want it. Send me a PM and i'll find it for you. I don't think you can reproduce the article on here as it may infringe copyright laws.

Hi again just thinking about the IHA wagons, I have all the bits from my timber wagon,like the hood etc but looking at the photos I've found of the IHA wagon it looks to be covered in a

tarpaulin cover are there two types? :sungum: ........How do I make a 00 scale tarpaulin? :O

The original covers were more 'textured' in appearance than the later ones, which are very shiny in appearance. They also had a different tensioning mechanism, so they weren't pulled as tight. To give that 'textured' look, a technique called 'impasto' can be used- basically, applying a thick enough coat of artist's acrylic (already much thicker than modelling paints), and using brush, and edge of knife, to accentuate folds.

• 6 years later...

@Fat Controller Funny that I should find you on this page! Regarding the three models shown at the top, annoyingly the 'Railion' wagons were on offer at a silly price earlier this year ..................... if only I knew then .......................... mumble mumble

Cheers,

Philip 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On 10/12/2019 at 15:52, Philou said:

@Fat Controller Funny that I should find you on this page! Regarding the three models shown at the top, annoyingly the 'Railion' wagons were on offer at a silly price earlier this year ..................... if only I knew then .......................... mumble mumble

Cheers,

Philip 

couple on eBay today from rails of Sheffield (of Sheffield) 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193282803832

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2013 at 15:42, ews60002 said:

...I think in Model Rail a few years ago, It showed you how to make a OO scale version and it had the scale plans too. I still have it and I can make a copy of it and e-mail it to you if you want it. Send me a PM and i'll find it for you. I don't think you can reproduce the article on here as it may infringe copyright laws.

Hi,

Although I no longer have a copy of the mag my old 'puter magazine database shows there was an article of 3.5 pages in the August '06 Model Rail by Robert Stephens, one of a series on wagon scratchbuilds, comprising 4mm templates for the major parts along with prototype and model photos.

There are regular 4mm plans, including a larger scale side view of the end latching mechanism, in Railway Wagon Plans 1960s to the Present by John L Fox.

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy
corrected mag title - sorry!

1 hour ago, steam-driven boy said:

Hi,

Although I no longer have a copy of the mag my old 'puter magazine database shows there was an article of 3.5 pages in the August '06 Model Rail by Robert Stephens, one of a series on wagon scratchbuilds, comprising 4mm templates for the major parts along with prototype and model photos.

There are regular 4mm plans, including a larger scale side view of the end latching mechanism, in Railway Wagon Plans 1960s to the Present by John L Fox.

Regards, Gerry.

And very good they were, though some were perhaps a bit fragile.