Colas timber wagons and the odd steel carrier or two

After watching a short video about the Colas Rail-freight timber trains, I wondered if anyone makes a RTR or a kits for the bogie wagons? I had a feeling Heljan did something like it but I may be wrong.

As always any help is very welcome :sungum:

Edited by stock_2007

There's no commercially available model for these in 4mm, as far as I'm aware. The first batch of wagons were converted from these:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryvtgvan2

with the central 'spine' and doors removed. Subsequently, the ends have had holes cut in them to reduce wind resistance when running empty.

The second batch (currently in a much brighter blue) were converted from these:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrynorskhydro

The ends on these are much stronger, so haven't required holes cutting.

Heljan have done a nice model of a Cargowaggon van (similar, but not identical to) the VTG ones used as a basis for the first type; you could get away with removing sides and roofs, and fitting a planked floor. Alternatively, you could use one of Heljan's Cargowaggon flats, and add ends to it. In both cases, you'd have to fabricate bolsters and stanchions; I've done this in the past with Plaststruct sections, but they're quite vulnerable to careless handling. Brass section, soldered, might be more viable.

The second type's got very different ends and underframe; you'd have to scratchbuild.

There's no commercially available model for these in 4mm, as far as I'm aware. The first batch of wagons were converted from these:-

with the central 'spine' and doors removed. Subsequently, the ends have had holes cut in them to reduce wind resistance when running empty.

The second batch (currently in a much brighter blue) were converted from these:-

The ends on these are much stronger, so haven't required holes cutting.

Heljan have done a nice model of a Cargowaggon van (similar, but not identical to) the VTG ones used as a basis for the first type; you could get away with removing sides and roofs, and fitting a planked floor. Alternatively, you could use one of Heljan's Cargowaggon flats, and add ends to it. In both cases, you'd have to fabricate bolsters and stanchions; I've done this in the past with Plaststruct sections, but they're quite vulnerable to careless handling. Brass section, soldered, might be more viable.

The second type's got very different ends and underframe; you'd have to scratchbuild.

Humm there are a number of Heljan ferry-vans on e-bay right now. I'll have a go at converting one, you never know till you try :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

Strictly speaking the norskhydro are the third batch. The second type of vehicle to appear on the Colas traffic are the few (six?) converted from ex-Rover KSA "Cube" wagons.

Apologies for dodgy pic

post-408-0-77384300-1375541683_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hi Brian,

Strictly speaking the norskhydro are the third batch. The second type of vehicle to appear on the Colas traffic are the few (six?) converted from ex-Rover KSA "Cube" wagons.

Apologies for dodgy pic

attachicon.gifksa.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

You're correct, Mick- I'd forgotten them. Looks as though they've been done up fairly thoroughly, even opening three different cans of paint to finish the job properly.. I wonder what's become of the rest; there were a hundred to start with, I believe,

• RMweb Gold

You're correct, Mick- I'd forgotten them. Looks as though they've been done up fairly thoroughly, even opening three different cans of paint to finish the job properly.. I wonder what's become of the rest; there were a hundred to start with, I believe,

have a look here, you might spot some of them....

http://goo.gl/maps/Yj82e

regard the wagons i had a look at converting a Heljan cargowaggon, using the ends (although they are slightly incorrect) however when i took the top off the pivoting coupling mechanism is in the way, it protrudes above the floorpan by a good 5mm+ so without modification you cant get a flush wooden floor down

my plan was to cut the wagon ends off the one piece top box moulding or possibly use it as a template to make my own out of plasticard, the main difference between the model end and the real thing is the 3 uprights on the model one are angled and end at one central top point whereas the real thing has 3 separate vertical uprights, there are of course a few differences in the shape of the solebar but its something i can live with if i decide to have a go at it.

one way around the coupling mechanism problem may be to make a loaded wagon but that wouldn't be cheap as i would need 6 "log stacks" per wagon X by the number of wagons i'd want in a rake! 

I wonder if the 'Golden Valley Hobbies' Tiphook tarp' wagon would be any good? Just going by photos the ends seem right but I have no idea about dimensions :sungum:

'Fraid not, unless you want a wagon that's too short, and on the wrong style of bogie (and is over-priced, IMHO). There were two wagons modified from this type to carry timber/long steel products; one used an ex-Tiphook wagon, the other, one from the 'Cargowaggon' fleet, but neither saw much use.

You might be best scratch-building the wagons, using a Heljan Cargowaggon as a starting point; otherwise you could get hold of the Heljan Cargowaggon flat, and fit it with scratchbuilt ends. In both cases, you'd have to fabricate the bolster/stanchion arrangements, using either Plastruct or brass. If using plastic, it would be worth working out how to reinforce the joits between horizontal and vertical components.

• RMweb Gold

Hi remaining Cubs moulder away in Washwood heath yard behind locked gates after DBS shut yard last year. Now in 2mm /n gauge your prayers are about to be answered by N gauge Soc latest kit - with a cube and timber version soonish to be released.  

Not sure if only 6 converted I thought it was twice that to make up most of a rake?

Robert

Arguably 4th generation! ;)

Initially, whilst the KFAs were being converted they also used some IGA cargowaggon flats - at least this one is easy to model with Heljan? having made a RTR one!

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IGA-Cargowaggon-flats

Then these GERS KFA were converted from former Tiphook ferryvans (collection includes detail pics)

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-GERS-timber-carriers

Then some of the KSA (Rover Cubes) were also converted (collection includes detail pics)

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KSA-Cube-wagons

Finally the Dutch registered IWA (collection includes detail pics - BUT of wagons as they arrived in the UK, ones that have entered service have been fitted with some additional 'bunks')

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IWA-log-carriers

How about these wagons for use as the new blue wagons, They would need ends on but after a re-paint into blue, you would get away with it.

post-8106-0-43986800-1375720824.jpg

These are made by fleischmann code number 5288

Some of the 83-84 3523 wagons have 8 stations and some have 4, moving the stations will work and you would only need to add 4 on each side.

Hopefully someone will do the roverbox wagons and that would make a great platform for making more timber wagons.

Mathew

How about these wagons for use as the new blue wagons, They would need ends on but after a re-paint into blue, you would get away with it.

attachicon.gif66844_2.jpg

These are made by fleischmann code number 5288

Some of the 83-84 3523 wagons have 8 stations and some have 4, moving the stations will work and you would only need to add 4 on each side.

Hopefully someone will do the roverbox wagons and that would make a great platform for making more timber wagons.

Mathew

I take it they'll be HO right.

I take it they'll be HO right.

They will be, but given the difference in loading gauge between the UK and Germany, they'll probably pass muster in terms of width and height, though they'll be a bit short. The same applies to modifying the Tiphook wagon from Golden Valley that you proposed earlier.

They will be, but given the difference in loading gauge between the UK and Germany, they'll probably pass muster in terms of width and height, though they'll be a bit short. The same applies to modifying the Tiphook wagon from Golden Valley that you proposed earlier.

Yes your right and the Tiphook wagons are £30+ each :O

I've picked up a Heljan van, and as was pointed out before due to the floor not being flat its going to be a loaded wagon to start with. I'm just finding bits right now. One thing I've not found yet are any Colas transfer's anyone know who would make them? :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

No need for Colas transfers on the KFA's. None of the three main types in use carry and branding.

This shows the other two wagons in use as timber wagons http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70783-jims-down-by-the-tracks-with-colas-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1020575

Cheers,

Mick

I made this yesterday while waiting for the postman to call. (More BCA cradles)

post-8106-0-83913300-1375980767_thumb.jpg

Fleischmann log wagon before "conversion"

post-8106-0-97801000-1375980795_thumb.jpg

Ends from a Shimmns steel wagon. Extra support bar needed in the middle.

post-8106-0-07938400-1375980872.png

The end of a proper log wagon. mine might have the ends angled, not sure, might leave it as is.

post-8106-0-51589400-1375980834_thumb.jpg

Ends attatched to wagon, next is to add additional stations.

post-8106-0-91440400-1375980935_thumb.jpg

Coupled up to a Colas 56, seems to be of right height for it, even though it is HO scale

Next task is to paint it blue, What blue is it??

Well I have all the bits so I'll get started... :butcher: just one thing while looking for photo's of the timber wagon I found a Colas 66 pulling a line of IHA wagons I think their steel carriers. I've found the odd Roco made wagon but nothing else so any ideas?

As always your help is very welcome :sungum:

Well I have all the bits so I'll get started... :butcher: just one thing while looking for photo's of the timber wagon I found a Colas 66 pulling a line of IHA wagons I think their steel carriers. I've found the odd Roco made wagon but nothing else so any ideas?

As always your help is very welcome :sungum:

What did you do with the hood, if there was one, that went with those ends you used for the timber wagon?. That's the most difficult bit to make. Ends and chassis can be made from plastic sheet, bogies available from Cambrian (and others) and buffers from S-Kits. I've got an outline drawing somewhere..

What did you do with the hood, if there was one, that went with those ends you used for the timber wagon?. That's the most difficult bit to make. Ends and chassis can be made from plastic sheet, bogies available from Cambrian (and others) and buffers from S-Kits. I've got an outline drawing somewhere..

Yes a drawing would be very handy I have all the spare bits from the timber wagon in my 'spares box' which I've found I really need since starting on my scratch-building kick :sungum:

Yes a drawing would be very handy I have all the spare bits from the timber wagon in my 'spares box' which I've found I really need since starting on my scratch-building kick :sungum:

Believe me, when you start on this lark, you have a small ice-cream tub of bits; by now, my collection includes three of those plastic drawer units for holding small bits (about 100 drawers in total), as well as the ice-cream tub and some of its friends for larger bits. I've now even got a box marked 'suitable for scrapyard', which has things such as left-over bits of solebars, half-used bits of wagon ends and so on.

I'll try and dig out the drawing, and send you a scanned copy.

Hi again just thinking about the IHA wagons, I have all the bits from my timber wagon,like the hood etc but looking at the photos I've found of the IHA wagon it looks to be covered in a

tarpaulin cover are there two types? :sungum: ........How do I make a 00 scale tarpaulin? :O