Old signs and buildings that you might want to use or model.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Funeral directors, Moor Lane Lancaster.

IMG_20220603_140744.jpg.2394293b7e8d38f4e458b05ccedf031c.jpg

IMG_20220603_140702.jpg.83f1f0f8e2c83debaa41cd1a6c549117.jpg

One thing I notice that makes the UK different to Australia when it comes to shop modelling is the lack of awnings there.

Here pretty much every streetscape from country towns

image.png.ca9c41ec3f0101b1a6a734db54f54efc.png

To major cities

image.png.066b1b81214e696e0622137389d00375.png

have awnings to keep off the sun and rain.

. It can make modelling shop fronts a bit frustrating after superdetailed  shopfronts can only be viewed by ducking down to a ground level view point, but on the other hand, it can be fun making weathered awnings and adding the signs etc.

Most town and city pubs have them, many with ornate iron lacework verandas.  Inner city  pubs are simpler, but still have charm.

This is the Houptoun Hotel in inner Sydney, once a great music venue in the 80's and 90's, long-closed due to insurance costs, neighbour complaints and similar.

image.png.60c50d2c6705f9851c3d991210fb508f.png

It is another one that I've knocked up in Sketchup to 3D print "one day" so I'll have a memory in case it gets knocked down or even worse - "facaded" to form a corner of some horrible tower block, with a Mcdonalds franchise shoved in.

5.jpg.1e18b322f07e6f37bc0b8a5409db836e.jpg

1.jpg.7af003035147cb06b25ed8ea828ab350.jpg

3.jpg.f9670c6c81795ac763b4d5821cbcc76e.jpg

4.jpg.1ee068fca2a7d66e5b8fa77eb799d7b1.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Up until the 1970s a lot of UK shops had pull out canvas awnings to protect window shoppers from the rain or the contents of the window from the sun, others had decorative awnings of iron and glass.

Most were done away with rather than spending money on maintenance and mostly as a result of cheap ugly replacement facades for the shop fronts that became the fashion. 

Look at pictures of any British high street and it's a good ninety percent plastic corporate blandness below first floor level, but as I'm hoping this thread will show, there's still some interesting architecture about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

Certain shops used to have a orange film that used to roll down and cover the inside of the window to filter out the suns rays and to stop fading of the goods in the windows, i have never seen this modelled.

I remember a shop in the village that had a yellow celluloid window filter. I think it was an old haberdashery, I'd have been five or six. The only other time I saw that was an antiquarian bookshop in the late eighties.

• Like 2

• westerhamstation changed the title to Old signs and buildings that you might want to use or model. gardens and outside toilet
  • RMweb Gold

We still have a few awnings here in Seaford.

Harri Nats cafe is currently looking a bit sad. A car shot across the road from a turning opposite it and went straight into the left front window. Three people had minor injuries. Fortunately it was a cold day and no-one was sitting at the tables outside. There were eleven emergency vehicles in attendance at one point.

16, High Street, Seaford, Sussex, 30 7 2011.jpg

22 Clinton Place Seaford 13 10 2021.jpg

31 High Street Seaford 16 10 2021.jpg

31A High Street Seaford 16 10 2021.jpg

39 Broad Street Seaford Sussex 18 6 2015.jpg

Hari Nats Broad Street Seaford 19 5 2015.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A few more from between the church and the reception - even a family wedding doesn't stop me snapping the local scene! There's even an awning!

7 &9 High Street Otford 25 9 2021.jpg

In this run of shops, the roof is more or less a uniform slightly undulating surface. The tile hung walls are each different although made of the same clay tiles. Hall & Co has more contrast with a majority of darker tiles but a good number of light tiles. Bill Skinner's tiles are three-quarters mid colour and a quarter darker. Mille Fleurs' are basically all the mid tone with some subtle variations. The stone base to the walls, a damp-course perhaps, also varies a bit from building to building. The dormers seem very plain and I wonder if the roof was thatched in earlier times. That would have made the dormers look as if they were wrapped in thatch. The two end shops have the fittings for awnings. I wonder if they are ever used these days.

26 to12 High Street Otford 25 9 2021.jpg

28a to 18 High Street Otford 25 9 2021.jpg

You would need a lot of patience to model the ragged look of this roof. The half-timbered walls are a reminder that the painted black and white style of finish was used in some parts of the country and not others. At some periods the timbered areas were rendered over. Some of the render has only been removed in fairly recent times as the fashions have changed. The style of the timber framing varies substantially from area to area. This is a fairly light open wall structure. Compare that with style in the counties along the Welsh border. I will add some below.  It pays to look at period photos of an area being modelled to see what was the practice at the time of a model.

28A, 28 & 26 High Street, Otford 25 9 2021.jpg

High Street from The Crown to The Woodman, Otford, 25 9 2021.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, I used to work on the Vestry estate at Otford in the late sixties for a company that made the Grant projector, the most useful aid that a art dept could have. I used to drive round the lovely pond that formed the roundabout in the middle of the village on my way to London to deliver that days batch of projectors and remember when the bridge was washed out by the river darent and a Bailey bridge was put in its place. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2

• westerhamstation changed the title to Old signs and buildings that you might want to use or model. a nice bit of teak
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Phil, I used to work on the Vestry estate at Otford in the late sixties for a company that made the Grant projector, the most useful aid that a art dept could have. I used to drive round the lovely pond that formed the roundabout in the middle of the village on my way to London to deliver that days batch of projectors and remember when the bridge was washed out by the river darent and a Bailey bridge was put in its place. All the best Adrian.

Hi Adrian

I went to St. Michael's School, Otford in the late 50s. We never saw the village. We were collected by a master at Victoria Station. We walked from Otford station to the school and stayed there until, if you were lucky and had somewhere to go, half-term - then another five or six weeks mainly in the school building and sports field, and then your parent(s) collected you for the holidays. The least said about that period of my life the better. One of my sisters lives in the village now.

Best wishes, Phil.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The first collage shows the house two of my great-grandparents lived in the 1930s. It was rendered then. Since then the fashion has changed to being black and white.

Bridle Goose 1930, 1991 & 2020.jpg

This is a more elaborate city centre building.Butcher Row Shrewsbury  Sept 1996.jpg

This is a civic building in the centre of Hereford.

Hereford from MPS archive.jpg

These perfectly good houses were demolished to extend the Cathedral Green.

Broad St houses pre1935 demolition.jpg

On a completely different tack here is a small back street garage in Seaford. I don't think that it currently functions as a business. Given the fancy ironwork on the gates and weather vane, I think that this may well have been a smithy in days gone by. Perhaps there was a chimney where the sky light now is.

The Garage Crouch Lane Seaford 4 6 2011.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

While looking for something else, I came across this photo, which for some reason I hadn't included in my file of Highbridge wharf photos, that I had previously had in an album here, before the RMweb mishap. I have now uploaded the set into a new album and included this valuable record of corner of the wharf I have been keen to model.

Willett & Son warehouse and asst stables and sheds 9 1969.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• westerhamstation changed the title to Old signs and buildings that you might want to use or model. canal basin & barges
  • RMweb Gold

Presumably the back entrance to the Black Country Museum, just short of Dudley tunnel.

I recall overnighting at that wharf some years ago.  The gates were open and there was nothing to stop us wandering around the empty museum site after hours.  I don't suppose you can do that now.

I hasten to add that we paid a "proper" visit the next day and paid the admission fee.

Keith

Alton.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A rather more cohesive group of buildings, from Battle in East Sussex. They illustrate a varied range of older buildings all in a couple of hundred yards from each other. The last one of 59 & 60 High Street looks very tidy at ground level, although regrettably modernised, but the roof, especially around the chimney, looks very weather-beaten.

1 High Street Battle Sussex 30 8 2016.jpg

2-3 Upper Lake Battle Sussex 30 8 2016.jpg

4 High Street Battle Sussex 30 8 2016.jpg

5 - 7 High Street Battle Sussex 30 8 2016.jpg

56 & 58 High Street Battle 5 6 2018.jpg

59&60 High Street Battle 5 6 2018.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7