Southwold Show 3/4 Aug 2013 - Waveney Valley MRC

Ravenser

There doesn't seem to be a topic for this show which is a bit surprising, as it's one of only three 2 day shows in Eastern England as far as I'm aware.

Bit of a trek for me but the weather was beautiful and it's a fine venue in a lovely area. The layouts this year were a strong lineup , and I'm a bit embarrassed that I only seem to have taken photos of a couple:

St Marnocks MPD (Gauge O)

post-80-0-57381900-1375559239.jpg

and

Ackthorpe (OO )

post-80-0-90362200-1375559323.jpg

I thought I'd covered rather more than that...

Hungerford (Shipley club in EM) is a magnificent layout with some very fine structure work. I liked St Minnions (small EM), which I thnik may originally have had something to do with Ken Gibbons? but now seems to be connected with Phoenix Precision (who are also there) . Westcliff is a GW branch terminus in EM - I'm normally cool about the genre but this is a splendid seaside terminus in Southern England in the 20s - I've seen it  before but I still very much liked it.  There was a spacious S gauge NBR layout - it's interesting to see a loco as big as an ROD  in S . Brian Yallop had his Z gauge layout there , and the Southword Rly people had a 2mm scale layout running on 6.5mm track - just a circle but featuring a big model of the swing bridge across the Blythe 

BRM are in attendence with a nice little layout based on the Wisbech & Upwell and they were practically giving away some old-stock books and magazines

I really should have photographed Loch Tat in N. Another very fine layout, running post privatisation

It's always good to see the big Gauge 1 live steam in the marquee outside. You can sit and eat your lunch in the shade while watching a live steam MR Flatiron hurle round on a rake of crimson lake 4 wheelers 

Also worth mentioning -, Grass Valley - US 0n30 narrow gauge, and Museum of Transport (4mm). Salz (Auistrian HO) is remarkably effective mounted near eyelevel

Trade support is good - Squires are there, so is Charlie Petty with lots of videos, bits and 4 samples of the new 143 Pacer . It looks very fine indeed. I did some business with Coastal DCC - Freestone Model Accessories are there , as are Bob Pearman Books.

All in all an excellent show and an excellent day . Well worth a visit and it's on tomorrow (Sunday)

I agree with Ravenser's review. Four of us went over from Ely yesterday and its a fine show, as is frequently the case. I was surprised it was not mentioned on here ahead of the event! Its their 25th show too.

We also had a pleasant trip into the centre of Southwold on the 1950s Tilly bus service for a pub lunch. This free bus service leaves from the town on the hour (bus stop outside the Kings Head/Southwold Railway shop) and it leaves from the School on the half hour. The journey only takes 10 minutes or so of course.

Well worth the day in Southwold to visit this show - so get your skates on and head over to the show TODAY!

I visited today, mainly a shopping expedition to get what isn't readily available locally.

I thought that several of the layouts were poorly presented, being at crotch level, although this may be aimed at the family visitors with children. Those that were at a reasonable viewing height, with dedicated lighting, etc. seemed to be attracting more attention. I also noticed that the activity in the fiddle yard seems to be as popular as what is happening on the scenic section for many visitors.

There also seems to be a strong bias towards 7mm among the trade, which is good if that is your scale, less so for the 4mm modeller.

My Wife and I went to the Suffolk Coast this weekend with the Southwold Show as the central (but not only) reason for a weekend away.

I have been to this show every year bar one since about 1999 and in fact the first one I went to was not at the School but in the remaining Pier head building (New Pier not then in situ if I recall correctly). 

Generally I have always enjoyed these shows, but frankly this year was for me something of a disappointment. For sure there were at least four or five very good quality layouts and the finesse of the modelling on Loch Tat is something to behold.  I also enjoy stopping and talking to the people on the Southwold Railway Trust stand each year to see how their plans are changing/developing. 

However beyond that there were a number of factors that spoiled our enjoyment: -

- Lack of space between the layouts causing log-jams of people and difficulties viewing anything (we went late morning Saturday).

- Very strange "balance" of trade (not one trader was selling any new N rolling stock products at all that I could find).

- Many features of the show were identical to each and every other year I have been - nothing new and the guest layouts did not offset this.

- Many layouts there I had seen before more than once and some have been on the Circuit a long time.

- Catering queues impossibly long and external seating under provided.

Now I do know how hard it is to organise a show (I am involved two for my own Club) and that enjoyment of them is a very personal thing, so if I am the only one with anything negative to say about the show that is possibly a good sign, but what I can say is that after less than an hour we had both had enough and I will not be returning next year.

On the plus side, the free bus into Southwold Town Centre did mean that we could leave the exhibition and spend time there before returning on the last one at 16.00 for our car, but it did rather negate the point of going!

Roy

- Very strange "balance" of trade (not one trader was selling any new N rolling stock products at all that I could find).

- Many features of the show were identical to each and every other year I have been - nothing new and the guest layouts did not offset this.

I agree with you on both counts Roy. I have been to every exhibition at the school and it's been broadly similar every year. Whilst I recognise they must cater for every taste, there were a couple of layouts which I think are not of high enough quality to be exhibitable. Equally, there are some fantastic layouts (Loch Tat and Hungerford for example). 

I said it last year and I will say it again this year; plenty to interest the GWR and BR steam/diesel transition modeller, but not much else. Where is the BR Blue? Privatisation? Other 'Big 4' layouts? 

I also found the lack of N gauge support from the trade. BH Enterprises were there with the kits and other bits and that was it. I ended up buying 2 decoders from Coastal DCC (de ja vue from last year there too!)

• RMweb Gold

If I'd known it was on I would probably have taken a trip over - partly my fault of course.

Southwold did verbally invite Widnes a few years back but since then we've heard nothing so they are looking at other options for layouts, I guess the expense of bringing us down put them off.

Have been every year since before it moved to the school. unfortunately missed it this year after a fall which damaged my leg (now recovering) would love to have met up with St. Marnocks crew after exhibiting near them at Pontefract earlier in the year. Hope they were a bit quieter than they were there.

• RMweb Premium

I went yesterday and really enjoyed it. Some really excellent layouts.

It was busy but not crowded so was able to move between the layouts with no probs.

I always enjoy sitting in the marquee with a cuppa watching the live steam stuff go round.

Archived