Warley National 2013

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

and it even got a visit from that nice Mr Worsdell in his saloon.... thanks TBG for giving it a whirl.

My pleasure!

It is a really nice model and even though it was out of period and area it looked quite at home.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

No it's not just you Tony. For people who've come miles to see and presumably enjoy something, they look more like they've just been told the next train has been cancelled.

Not on the Gresley Beat, surely, always plenty of trains. Now on the real railway around Saturday lunchtime anyone travelling to Birmingham International on Cross Country services would have every reason to look glum, as they were all diverted via Solihull instead due to "lineside signalling equipment problems" at Kenilworth.

• RMweb Premium

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have any decent photos of our Lancaster Green Ayre demo.  Both of us only had our phones and didn't really get chance to photo the whole set up.  A lot of photos were taken.  Any would be appreciated.

Jamie

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have any decent photos of our Lancaster Green Ayre demo.  Both of us only had our phones and didn't really get chance to photo the whole set up.  A lot of photos were taken.  Any would be appreciated.

Jamie

Can't remember if I did, if I did and you'd like to use them feel free they're on flickr (link posted in this thread and my recent status).

• RMweb Premium

Can't remember if I did, if I did and you'd like to use them feel free they're on flickr (link posted in this thread and my recent status).

Thanks for that Kelly.  I've had a look through and unfortunately the nearest you got was the other end of Fremo.

Thanks again.

Jamie

Sunday morning Cliff was presented the trophy by Pete Waterman for best 4mm layout.

IMG_2667_zps46da1b08.jpg

Cliff doesn't look too thrilled, obviously not a Stock Aitken and Waterman fan!! I'd like to think that most of the people in front of Gresley Beat were patiently queuing to get a look at Snape Maltings next door, but thats just wishful thinking on my part !! Nevertheless, we had a great time on Snape Maltings, all 4 foot by 1 foot of it ( Nice Photo Kelly!) and had a surprising amount of interest in what we were up to!! And, despite a flat battery on the car ( guess who's the white Citroen was who'd left his lights on!!), we were still home by 7 30!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• RMweb Premium

..... Nevertheless, we had a great time on Snape Maltings, all 4 foot by 1 foot of it ....

B*gg*r!

I knew there was one other layout on my list of good things to see. I thought I'd be smart this year and focus on stuff I'd chosen beforehand rather than repeat last years wandering about for half the day just getting orientated. I'd be tempted to say I was too clever for my own good, but I'm patently not.

(Where's the 'dork' smiley when you need it most?)

Cliff doesn't look too thrilled, obviously not a Stock Aitken and Waterman fan!! I'd like to think that most of the people in front of Gresley Beat were patiently queuing to get a look at Snape Maltings next door, but thats just wishful thinking on my part !! Nevertheless, we had a great time on Snape Maltings, all 4 foot by 1 foot of it ( Nice Photo Kelly!) and had a surprising amount of interest in what we were up to!! And, despite a flat battery on the car ( guess who's the white Citroen was who'd left his lights on!!), we were still home by 7 30!!

I had a quick look trying to get near Gresley Beat towards the end. Most of the day it was impossible for me to get near that part of the show due to my scooter and too packed an area to try to get through. That and I had to go charge the scooter twice! (1 hour + each time). I was glad I took my Kobo Touch to sit and read whilst it charged. New batteries by new year hopefully. It was bought second hand so always going to be that issue potentially.

It looked a nice little layout, though at the time I was there wasn't much going on. Sorry I didn't spend more time at it, tiredness and time were catching up with me by then, so was really a 'dash round and take photographs' moment.

If you want copies of the photo let me know by message and I'll link to it so you can download the full size image (unedited). You can do as you like with it from there, so long as you attribute and it doesn't get any commercial use (without my knowledge) - my standard view on my photos really, if you want copies I'm happy to oblidge for any photo.

Took loads of photos but for some reason the Forum isn't letting me link to them right now :-(

Enjoyed myself but spent far too much money!

In particular I think I may have been "taken advantage of" by the trader selling drill bit sets advertised on large posters/banners as "Lifetime Guarantee - never buy another drill bit again". On speaking to him he informed me that if I broke one all I had to do was to return it to them and they would replace it for free. As I'm somewhat hamfisted when it comes to drills, I bought a set, and he slipped a copy of the guarantee inside the case.

Just now I've looked at the guarantee and found it differs from what I was told:

- The guarantee is limited to ten years.

- In order to claim against the guarantee, it is necessary to return the entire set (incurring higher postage costs).

- There is also a £5 admin charge for any claims to cover their return postage of the set etc.

All of which seems less than what was advertised.

Just flagging this up to warn others....

I will take this up with them by email tomorrow, however I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to take a surreptitious photo of the advertising on the stand for me - just in case?

Many thanks

Richard

Just as an update on this one - here's the reply I had:

Hello Richard

The warranty is a lifetime warranty but as per the warranty if you send a bits back it doesn't matter if it's 1 bit or 10 it's £4.95 the price it costs us to get 1 bit replaced from Germany

Regards Terry

Terry Hilder 

Director/Accounts Manager
Triple X Trading Ltd

i.e the warranty is lifetime but getting a 'free' replacement costs more than buying an ordinary bit!

Just as an update on this one - here's the reply I had:

Hello Richard

The warranty is a lifetime warranty but as per the warranty if you send a bits back it doesn't matter if it's 1 bit or 10 it's £4.95 the price it costs us to get 1 bit replaced from Germany

Regards Terry

Terry Hilder 

Director/Accounts Manager
Triple X Trading Ltd

i.e the warranty is lifetime but getting a 'free' replacement costs more than buying an ordinary bit!

I always think that a 'lifetime guarantee' is...worthless?

What is a lfetime? Is it:-

(a) 'my' lifetime

( B) 'for ever', ie the item's lifetime (wishful thinking).

© the 'expected' (but by whom...?) lifetime of the item (the sellers expectation is probably different to mine)

(d) the 'actual' lifetime of the item (if it breaks the 1st time you use it, then it becomes life-expired, so it did actually last a lifetime).

Stewart

tried to edit the smiley out, it should actually be a 'b' in brackets!

I always think that a 'lifetime guarantee' is...worthless?

What is a lfetime? Is it:-

(a) 'my' lifetime

( B) 'for ever', ie the item's lifetime (wishful thinking).

© the 'expected' (but by whom...?) lifetime of the item (the sellers expectation is probably different to mine)

(d) the 'actual' lifetime of the item (if it breaks the 1st time you use it, then it becomes life-expired, so it did actually last a lifetime).

Stewart

tried to edit the smiley out, it should actually be a 'b' in brackets!

This parachute has a lifetime guarantee.......Aaaaarrrgghhhh!!!!

B*gg*r!

Don't panic Neil, it'll be about. If all else fails I'll cart it over to your BnB sometime so you can Laugh your bits off  admire it!! Knowing your prediliction for micro layouts Neil, you may be interested to know that theres a 'micro' corner at Stafford in February, which isn't a million miles from you. Trevanna Dries will be there along with about 8 other 'Micros', the largest of which is 5 foot 6 so Colin (tame SRC exhibition manager) reliably informs me!!

Kelly, thanks for your offer vis a vis photo's. I've just copied it from this thread and stuck it in a file with all the other Phots of the layout purely for my own edification. Should I wish to use it for any other reason I will of course let you know!!

RJS 1977- nice photo too!!

• RMweb Premium

.... Knowing your prediliction for micro layouts Neil, you may be interested to know that theres a 'micro' corner at Stafford in February, which isn't a million miles from you. Trevanna Dries will be there along with about 8 other 'Micros', the largest of which is 5 foot 6 so Colin (tame SRC exhibition manager) reliably informs me!! .....

Sounds tempting; I presume there will be the usual details in the exhibition diary section here and in the Modeller.

Don't panic Neil, it'll be about. If all else fails I'll cart it over to your BnB sometime so you can Laugh your bits off  admire it!! Knowing your prediliction for micro layouts Neil, you may be interested to know that theres a 'micro' corner at Stafford in February, which isn't a million miles from you. Trevanna Dries will be there along with about 8 other 'Micros', the largest of which is 5 foot 6 so Colin (tame SRC exhibition manager) reliably informs me!!

Kelly, thanks for your offer vis a vis photo's. I've just copied it from this thread and stuck it in a file with all the other Phots of the layout purely for my own edification. Should I wish to use it for any other reason I will of course let you know!!

RJS 1977- nice photo too!!

You have a "micro" layout now Dave. Ever since a slight slip was made the other night with the chainsaw! :butcher:  :ohmyclear:  :notme: 

Hello there !

Despite that the Warley show is nearly a week ago, I would like to add a link.

In a german narrow gauge forum I have written a small report about some of the narrow gauge layouts at that show.

See: http://www.kostenloses-forum.com/board/schmale-spuren-bei-der-warley-show-in-birmingham-,nxu,01642644nx1878,t,6851.html

Please click on the pictures to enlarge them.

The text is -of course- german.

Google translator may help, sometimes with funny results.

Best wishes

Dirk

The good news is that the other half is talking to me now after the week of silence!

The background-

As I had overdone the spending a bit (okay a lot) I thought about leaving some items in the boot of the car when I got home but as it was 11PM when I got in I thought she would be in bed (she normally is in bed by 10PM at the latest) so I walked in with a rucksack, red bag and 2 huge plastic bags full of 'essentials' to see her sat on the settee because she had decided to wait up for me. Queue "what the hell is that lot", as I had been up since 4AM I wasnt at my quickest with the result that I have just had a week of cold shoulders and a lot of growling.

All is sweetness and light now though so I think it was worth the weeks silence!

The good news is that the other half is talking to me now after the week of silence!

The background-

As I had overdone the spending a bit (okay a lot) I thought about leaving some items in the boot of the car when I got home but as it was 11PM when I got in I thought she would be in bed (she normally is in bed by 10PM at the latest) so I walked in with a rucksack, red bag and 2 huge plastic bags full of 'essentials' to see her sat on the settee because she had decided to wait up for me. Queue "what the hell is that lot", as I had been up since 4AM I wasnt at my quickest with the result that I have just had a week of cold shoulders and a lot of growling.

All is sweetness and light now though so I think it was worth the weeks silence!

I do hope you used the peace and quiet to get on with some modelling ;)

(wish my missus would go quiet when she was in a mood!)

"It is better to live in a corner of the roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman." - Proverbs 25:24

(i.e. when the wife starts arguing go into the loft and work on the railway!)

If only that was possible, I have been working every day since.

Plus the fact I had been working away for 7 years (where I was only home on my days off which were as likely to be mid week as at the weekend) and have just started a new job where I will be home every day, if I was to start saying "I am off upstairs for a few hours" it wouldnt go down too well, give it a few more months and I will be able to start having some 'me' time. Its only fair that the other half and the kids get all my attention for a while.

Archived