Warley National 2013

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

A couple of snaps of goings on just outside Kings Cross on "The Gresley Beat"

Not the best quality but they show the possibly unique pairing of 2393 and 2394 on an up coal train.

post-1457-0-96611400-1385507790_thumb.jpg

The A4 "Great Gathering" (spot the cheat - somebody left Bittern at home but as the real Bittern has appeared disguised as Silver Link we did the same!)

post-1457-0-02069000-1385507806_thumb.jpg

And finally a reverse of the usual view, looking at the crowd from inside the layout. That was about as thin as the crowd got until just before closing both days.

There are one or two faces that are familiar to me, maybe even an RMWebber or two.

Is it just me or is everybody looking really serious?

post-1457-0-29475500-1385507831_thumb.jpg

Tony

Seems I may have upset a few people with my statement. To be fair, I don't know where people thought I said scooters should be banned altogether! My girlfriends granddad has one, it's invaluable to him. I try to be courteous toward people in chairs/sticks etc, even moving other people (who I don't know) out the way so they have an easier path. My point was, in such close proximity to others ankles, wouldn't a normal chair, with a helper if required, be safer? This is my opinion, sorry if it upsets some.

Seems I may have upset a few people with my statement. To be fair, I don't know where people thought I said scooters should be banned altogether! My girlfriends granddad has one, it's invaluable to him. I try to be courteous toward people in chairs/sticks etc, even moving other people (who I don't know) out the way so they have an easier path. My point was, in such close proximity to others ankles, wouldn't a normal chair, with a helper if required, be safer? This is my opinion, sorry if it upsets some.

I think you will find it the reverse. It's harder to manever a wheelchair and as they've got bigger back wheels the harm of going over an ankle/foot could be greater. You've also got to have people prepared to give up their time to push people around the show all day.

If I was coming and was told I had to use a manual wheelchair instead of my scooter, then I'd expect anyone I came with to be treated as my carer and allowed in free. This could then have the impact of raising the cost of entry for everyone else.

The answer is for people to be more considerate from both sides, slower speeds and more delicate control for scooter users and looking around and down when moving off for more able-bodied members. Also perhaps having stewards to assist in preventing some of these issues occurring by pointing out such to scooter users on entry and to people attending to be aware of people on scooters (and the same applies for them looking out for small children).

The problem of bags is easily solved in my opinion by people making use of the cloakrooms available.

• RMweb Gold

Kelly,

I'm not sure about the cloakrooms - as they're sometimes very expensive to use, or otherwise unworkable.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you're saying.

In my case, my backpack was a freebie from a trade show (at, of all places, the NEC) - and I use it to carry my coat and food (does anybody seriously expect me to use the "catering" outfits inside exhibition halls?). My holdall is for anything I get at shows - although cloth bags are often handed out at trade shows, I try to restrict the amount of stuff I get, as I've got to carry it all to a coach at the end of the day (more to the point, I've got a 2 mile uphill walk when I get off the coach about half past one the following morning).

So much for why I need various bags - and what I use them for.

What I don't use bags for is as improvised weapons. I've got disabled relatives (one of whom I often need to push around in shop / mall wheelchairs - many of which are so badly maintained that they can be very difficult to steer, or even get moving in the first place - I could give loads of examples, but would prefer not to). I've also got some very young relatives.

I agree with what you're saying about people without mobility issues needing to be vigilant. With me being 1.83m tall (probably a reasonably typical height for men of my age), it can be very difficult for me to see scooter users (or small children) if they're very close in front of me if I'm walking round a shop or an exhibition.

Difficult - but not impossible - even at shows (when, for various reasons, I'm likely to be very tired) - I need to look down as well as straight ahead when I'm walking - I also need to be ready to stop quickly.

There are also issues about the design of shows and venues (obstructions, ridges on the floor, etc - which can often affect people who can walk easily, just as much as they affect those who can't).

Ultimately though I think it's all about consideration - from everyone - to the needs of everyone else.

Most of us usually try to consider other people's needs, most of the time - I wonder how much of a step it would be to all of us, all of the time.

Huw.

My rucksack has a novel innovation - a handle on top for carrying. It's what I use when in a crowded area or when I will need to keep putting stuff in it, such as a large model railway exhibition when the backpack fills as fast as the wallet empties.

I'm sure other rucksacks have the same feature. As others have said, it's just that some people don't wish to use them, prefering to smash people in the face as they jiggle around with excitement at the sight of all the toy trains.

• RMweb Gold

Our layout was looking like a cloakroom at times round the back as I always offer friends the chance to dump purchases and bags to save carrying them around. It at least removes a few from the scrum and I've had the same offer from a trader and other mates with layouts there. I'm not suggesting doing it for anyone but those we know but at least your precious purchases are actually with someone ;)

• RMweb Gold

Our layout was looking like a cloakroom at times round the back as I always offer friends the chance to dump purchases and bags to save carrying them around. It at least removes a few from the scrum and I've had the same offer from a trader and other mates with layouts there. I'm not suggesting doing it for anyone but those we know but at least your precious purchases are actually with someone ;)

Yes our layout often looks the same round the back (as well as food drink to keep us going where allowed in halls).

I often contemplate building a coat stand that folds or something similar to fit into the car.

And finally a reverse of the usual view, looking at the crowd from inside the layout. That was about as thin as the crowd got until just before closing both days.

There are one or two faces that are familiar to me, maybe even an RMWebber or two.

attachicon.gifWarley 23 & 24 Nov 2013 Crowd.jpg

No it's not just you Tony. For people who've come miles to see and presumably enjoy something, they look more like they've just been told the next train has been cancelled.

As a devout sceptic I must make a surprising statement: I was at the show, for the very first time, throughout the busiest period on the Saturday, and compared to the Hell-hole that I had been led to expect from reading comments about previous years and from remembering attendances at other NEC events, I HONESTLY COULD NOT SEE THAT THE SITUATION AT THE SHOW WAS ANY WORSE THAN THAT AT OTHER BUSY SHOWS, large or small. If everybody insists on trying to view the same stands and deal with the same traders at the same time, then frustration results. I worked my way around my pre-planned-list of calls, using my downloaded floor plan, avoiding the busiest areas at any given time and making my schedule up "as I went along". I had to move VERY quickly at times to fit everything in, but I looked where I was going and felt I had no significant problems. I expected an exhausting day, which it was, including a 5.30am start and a 250+ mile round trip, but felt that the day had been well spent overall. I think if one goes to a known-to-be-busy, major event such as this expecting everything to be arranged to suit your personal preferences, disappointment and annoyance is inevitable.

• RMweb Gold

I often contemplate building a coat stand that folds or something similar to fit into the car.

We've contemplated an inflatable sofa at Warley as we usually have enough space behind ;) then we got carried away finding a complete inflatable furniture set including reindeer head on the net, not sure it would fit at any other show though ;)

• RMweb Gold

We've contemplated an inflatable sofa at Warley as we usually have enough space behind ;) then we got carried away finding a complete inflatable furniture set including reindeer head on the net, not sure it would fit at any other show though ;)

We now (well Phatbob does) have an inflatable sofa. However since getting it,  there hasn't been space to set it up!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifWarley 23 & 24 Nov 2013 Crowd.jpg

Tony

One of the operators has just said there's absolutely no chance of seeing a King or Castle thats all. ;)

Good to see Warley are using our Blandford to help promote next years exhibition. Some of our guys went to this years show, and brought back a few promotional hand-bills for next year. I promise, unless there's a major electrical fault, people wont have to stand around for ages before anything moves. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

We now (well Phatbob does) have an inflatable sofa. However since getting it,  there hasn't been space to set it up!

Ian

Yep, the "home comforts", when space in car and at the venue permit, include cushioned flooring, padded stools, beer fridge and an inflatable sofa.  :-)

For extreme cases of "morning after the night before" on Sunday mornings, the sofa can be unfolded to make a bed! ;-)

You hit the nail firmly on the head Polly - Sunday services tend to be not as frequent and also slower than those on saturdays, and that is before they get disrupted by engineering work 'improvements to the network'.  This year train service wise I could have done the Sunday but that would have been the first occasion in several years.  In addition Sunday evenings tend to be one of the busiest parts of the weekend on many rail routes so my return journey might have meant me not being able to get on the train at all if the Saturday was any indicator.

So yes - Sunday attendance is no doubt a very good idea - until the practicalities of getting there and back home rear their head.

But if it was as easy to get there on a Sunday, perhaps the advantages of going on Sunday would be lost.

It was a long show for the Beat team, started Thursday afternoon and finished Monday morning.

Started setting up 9.30am Friday, finally packing up and ready to leave 8.30pm Sunday.

Very busy show, especially Saturday, crowds were three or four deep most of the day on Saturday, always a pleasure to operate for a large audience.

An operators eye view on the Saturday.

IMG_2637_zps0755a275.jpg

I ventured out the front for a few minutes.

IMG_2639_zps11934dcb.jpg

Sunday morning Cliff was presented the trophy by Pete Waterman for best 4mm layout.

IMG_2667_zps46da1b08.jpg

Now have a list of things to do before the next show.

Martin

Archived