4...The "General Thread" of......Dover's Railways, Kent.

David Todd

Moorings................

I have overlooked, my Ety-kety.. updated my profile and posted in Intro. section..........will address this..soonest...........

I would really like to know, if it is possible, to have.......3,separate areas to post in,.....in one thread. ie.

Dover Priory.

Dover Town Yard.

Dover Marine.

Unless of course,I have to start, 3.separate thread's,for each of the layout areas.

If I contain,all 3 areas in one thread, it will become confusing/cluttered and confusing and out of sync.........................  make a note, enquire at the Mod. Dept.

Dover Town Yard

Below gives you an insight to what Dover Town Yard looked like, in the 1970/80,until it's closure in 1995.

It also  shews,how the yard extends,further to the East,beyond the "10.chain curve" up to the white building,with exit roads to the DMS.

On my layout,  I am unable to shew,the correct point work,or even close, the exits from the mainline,before the curve,that lead through to DMS.

I have,also had to leave out, Archcliffe (Fort) signal box,a section,of what is left of the northern part of the old Dover Town platform,with it's cobbled

ramp,which I believe, was use to load "new" cars,to a set of car carriers',via a "modified" (lash-up) car transporter carrier.

Much like the car loading of the Channel Tunnel,

The present day,of the east end,of the wasteland of Dove Town Yard.

9254387632_926d99b904_o.jpg

The ramp to Town platform,also known as "Military platform" locally.

9320103896_b52a090bd5_o.jpg

9317311993_62f3737047_o.jpg

Present day Naff.pics will be mine in this treadmill, a lot of the older pics.will be  from a good friend Andy Howard.

Others' will be credited with permission from source.

NewImage2.jpg

Courtesy & Copyright of Andy Howard.

A Rough, Dover Town Yard Layout Plan ( no measurements,as I have not got to grips with, computer layout planning).

doveryardupdate1-1.jpg

At present,the yard on the layout  has been laid and formed for the 4th time,lightly pinned only,no transitions into point work yet.

As you can see, I have brought my yard further West.

9209103269_422fe0d8e9_o.jpg

9209105051_c9261d1f4b_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing................

BFn............

had another look got a lot of work done today did we not  :whistle:

Have to say, you've really captured it. Unmistakeable. Here's a few of my pics from 1989 of the real thing:

Priory, with a 47 poking in on the left, parcels vans in the centre. Tunnel towards Canterbury/Ramsgate.

post-6971-0-89821400-1376249617.jpg

Marine (or Western Docks as it was by then), sharp curves abounding and ferry wagons in the sidings

post-6971-0-71520500-1376249619.jpg

Town - yard to the right, Marine off to the right, and your 10 chain curve going from the centre of the pic towards the left and through the tunnel to Priory. Eastern Docks in the distance, Shakespeare Cliff tunnels underneath the bottom left of the photo

post-6971-0-41551300-1376249621.jpg

(You might have seen these before on Kent History Forum, but as they show off how well the layout captures the original, here they are again)

had another look got a lot of work done today  we      not   :whistle:

But, it was well worth the 2.1/2.hour wait, watching the Bosky,.............come into blossom.........

Better than watching paint dry........as per normal........ :drag: .

9486788523_62c3220f29_o.jpg

9486788441_4c1cc640ee_o.jpg

9489586416_5d8fac1a85_o.jpg

:scratchhead: you also, have learnt.........not to use the "Quote post reply button"........hopefully.........?

A flock of wild blue flamingo's        Modern Dover Priory lamps,spray painted, "Bermuda Blue", I have a feeling............someone is going to tell me, that is the wrong colour.

But,before anyone bashes out keystrokes.................

I have,...tried to match the correct colour, of the lamps' in all weather's,from intense sunlight,to dismal day's,by sadly taking pics on Priory platfroms'.

The Station Supervisor (s),have gradually gotten used to me,when, I always ask their permissions to take pics on the premises.

When I call to say, thank you,I am leaving,after an hour or so,.it's usually..."ok, You got em, then".

I have had to lightly spray the final coat, after the grey primer,the model post is of s/steel.

Enamel final,had to be used,because Fox's Transfers,not not adhere to  Acrylic paint.

Richard Johnstone,(of DCC.Concepts...Australia),kindly, supplied me, with a few samples of the lamp, before,main production,was released from China.  Thanks R.J.

I have now purchased 35/40.

I note, on another thread, Lyddrail,has specified, .....Kent,station platform lamps...........have a 5.meter "drop".Richards'lamps are adjustable,
through their base.

9489885056_eb7778bc2a_o.jpg

9438609980_01a05c4915_o.jpg

9438610202_611644dca2_o.jpg

I must say thank you to all who have posted,taken an interest and viewed the thread in the few days since I posted it.

Also to members who have posted,taken their time to dig out pics,of old Dover day's.

In my 5.years,of on and off research,the local library, is not awash with local pics.

I would like to capture the"feel" of the place in the model, not be,an anorak,or other terms that are attached to modelers' .

I do not have to imply,.........." that it has to be right"............ attitude.......I take licence..........

I will blend in old with new,from the 70's to the present, I think it will work.

I am not a "traditionalist", I think out of the box and play left field........my ex-seagoing attitude,am afraid............. :scratchhead:

Nobody, usually,.understands me............ :nono:

As to pics,my friend Andy has many,of the area, blame him, I say,I was only going to have a "train set",until I saw the pic's he had........... :O .

From the 70's onward's. To him,am most grateful,...........for it started me thinking.............again.

There are a few other good friend's, who have help me develop,this layout,who will be greatly mentioned along the way.

As I have said,before, i have only been learning and modeling  just over 18. months...........

I know you chaps who have worked the area,have taken a slight interest.

My main lack of info and has been for a very long time, The the Dover Town Yard.

It's planning,The various unnamed track work and how it was operated on a daily basis. also ground levers and signals

Am clueless,do you think,the track work, for the yard, I have laid on the model,would actually work ?

Thank you to......Eastwestdivde, the aerial,colour pics,are the hardest to obtain,for when I need, to cut and form the cliffs from,

"Shakey" Tunnel to 10. chain curve.

I have a lot of "face on" pics,I have taken,over the past months,of course,when the tide has been out.

Bye the bye....the 3 letters @ the bottom of my posts', stand for..............Be Friendly now............ :mail:

Moorings......... :secret:

A mock up, made last month for trials on telephone wires.

I will mainly use this for. 3rd rail cable feed.

It is supplied in a couple of grades and colours, heavy and fine.

It is made from polymer elastic. on 100. meter reels.

9359814624_0f6a9793c1_o.jpg

9357038529_eec135257a_o.jpg

9358740070_3967f1f7e2_o.jpg

BFn..........  :help:

Should start, a workbench tread.

This is what I need lots of practice with.........."Textured Paint" from John @ ..........http://www.green-scene.co.uk/

I am "thinking only", of covering DP platfroms 2/3, with the "Light Tarmac".............http://www.green-scene.co.uk/Paint.html

Please do not start "blethering" at me,it is rubbish, it is not.

Most people try applying it with a brush.........NO.........it must be applied with a spatula,or other tool your are comfortable with.......No Brushes.

Slow and careful working is required, it you wish achieve your results, and practice.............Lots. wink.gif This my first rush job........... rolleyes.gif 

9499521125_d14ab85952_o.jpg

This really is starting to look very nice, and brings back fond memories- I spent a lot of time on the breakwater, photographing wagons and avoiding fishing lines being cast, in the early nineties. Ironically, we'd moved down here for Lynne to work at Eurotunnel, which would sound the death-knell for the train ferry and Dover Marine. 

A former colleague at Eurotunnel used to be a radio operator at the Sealink offices in the middle of the triangle- apparently, they worked in a room which was just like a ship-board radio cabin.

I spent some hours talking to the bobby at the 'box at the western end of the triangle; he'd originally been a guard on the Boat Trains, before retraining. When he first worked on the railways, he'd been a 'knocker-up' boy and messenger- at the time, there were still some railway-owned cottages on the Folkestone side of Shakespeare Cliff tunnels, with access by either a request stop at the staff halt or a precipitous footpath from the cliff-top (this survived into the 1990s, with a handrail that had posts from the railway of the original (C19th) building attempt). He, however, decided to simply walk along the cess..- not the best of ideas, give what the clearances are like.

Is this layout going to be exhibitable, or one of those that 'never leave home'? If the former, you really ought to have words with 'Lyddrail' on here.

Underway........... :drag:

Following on from the Cutting with the Blooming Buddleia , our attention turns, to the, construction of Folkestone Road, over bridge.

Folkestone Road,over Bridge

9503358399_8739d6c655_o.jpg

9506155852_dbc91bd67a_o.jpg

The above pic. shews, one of the 4 support's and method used.

This bridge was widened at some point,for road traffic,but I do not have a date.

The models basic components, were collated,this evening with Lofty sr. a few changes were made,Plan A, was shelved, so Plan B in Place.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will put up pics, of our  my..... method used, including, mistakes made along the way..............

BFn..........

Underway........... :drag:

Following on from the Cutting with the Blooming Buddleia , our attention turns, to the, construction of Folkestone Road, over bridge.

*snip*

The above pic. shews, one of the 4 support's and method used.

This bridge was widened at some point,for road traffic,but I do not have a date.

*snip*

BFn..........

You need a date to cross the bridge because it's widened????  

Is that because it's not a single lane anymore? 

Hat. Coat.  Door.

jukebox.........Posted Yesterday, 23:33.......................

G'day, J/Box,

Thank you for your post.

The interpretation, of my "bridge widening statement",in my last post,seems,to have been misinterpreted, in another English speaking country,on the other side of the world.

:jester: Sitting with my "early" morning coffee,I am pleased to see you have been studying hard, from the set of books I sent you last year,along with with your,

excellent,layout build.

I hope to be sending you,for arrival before Christmas(maybe),another set of "Janet and John" books, "Elementary English".

They should help you along the way to ; "Sentence Forming" and "Joined up writing for Beginners'"

But, for now,I am really pleased with what you have learnt so far...........

It just needs a little expansion, valve :jester: 

Hat. Coat.  Door.

:drag:  

2. of the 3. roads in DP. Sidings............

9275696267_e3448fd4a7_o.jpg

Some of the "plonked" structures, to give me ideas,on the "10. chain curve",after leaving,Harbour Tunnel,south portal.................

9259834615_77c630a0c8_o.jpg
9282524030_0469a28386_o.jpg

9279744331_c813d6a7d5_o.jpg

9279742621_3de22450ce_o.jpg

9279742347_f0ee2b2fd8_o.jpg

This last pic,shews reverse,shot looking North, off the 10.chain.exit to Dover Priory.

The tower of the old "Town Station", "The Kink",which was Hawkesbury Street Junction,off to the right,

ahead, the approach to the A20,road,

over bridge, to the South portal of Harbour Tunnel,

thence under "The Western Heights",

out into Dover Priory station.

9279742875_5e6fb0797a_o.jpg

BFn............. :scratchhead:

What you have done on your layout is amazing. The station lamps look very good, I would prefer them painted NSE red but that is my era.

Regards Dover Town Yard I would have tweaked a few things. The yard was used to marshal trains to go to the ferry which was via Hawkesbury Street Junction, then replaced by the link span via Admiralty Sidings. It would have been nice to move even short rakes to these positions and vice versa. I can see space is at a premium to do this.

In Town yard I would have included the short loco fuel point off the reception road at the Marine end opposite the level crossing. At the other end of the yard I would include the short loco loops which you have done in part being very useful for loco and shunter stabling plus here was the weigh bridge. Most of the yard was dead end sidings of short to long lengths with a cripple road.

Bulwark Street siding was in place for a long time alongside the cement thingy off the down road which had a car loading ramp coach/wagon left there for years. Again the Military siding would be useful as short rakes were left there plus lines of 47s.

You have got Priory just right and could use sidings 2 & 3 for mail traffic mostly with siding 1 for EMU berthing even if it only takes 2 coaches.

It all depends on what you want to run and where to. You have many options and plenty of running posibilities and can run different periods too.

Just a few thoughts, it is your railway.

Cheers.

post-1373-0-22200800-1376508199_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-16677000-1376508261_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-45414800-1376508291_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-03183000-1376508396_thumb.jpg

.Main Propulsion units...(mind & body)...Set to..."Half Ahead"..........today...... :drag: .

A part plan, bought and able to display.(Bottom of this Post).

I am very unsure of it's date.

The "Dover Town Yard" is in the lower section,

The "Head Shunt",is not shewn,but runs for approx. 1/4.mile orfft,......to bottom left.

In the bottom right,is the approach to,DMS. from the West of the County of Kent .

From the North and East,of the County of Kent approach to DMs.......top of plan.

( Dover Marine Station renamed Dover Western Docks).

Details,of which,can be found in this link............David Glasspool's site........... Along with a myriad  of other info about Kent-ish Railways.

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/dover_marine.htm

Central section of the diagram,shews,

The 10.chain curve,or Hawkesbury street curve.This curve came about @ around the turn of the Century. no, not the last one,the one before,18/1900.

It linked 2 rival rail companies,end of line stations.

1.from London Victoria,through the North and East of the County of Kent,via Medway Towns and Canterbury to Dover, Harbour Station.

2. from London Charring Cross, via,Maidstone,Ashford,Folkestone to Dover Town Station. (hence the name of "Dover Town Yard".).

I will let you all "work",on the rest of the diagram, for now, no doubt,we will,...........return to it later.

090110021.jpg

"Beloooooooooow...!!!!"( A Nautical word).

This my first, 1 and only,clumsy attempt @ drawing my layout on "Anyrail".My 5.yr old.Grandson could do a lot better.

The roundy roundies are nearly ok, but,the yard is nothing like I have...........

:O :no:

doverlayout1211211-1.jpg

snapshot.jpg

Brian, I have not forgotten your post,will reply,soon........... :mail:

BFn......... :drag: 

Your posting output is proving as prodigious as your modelling, d.t.

..and you seem to have taken to your new fish pond very well.    :imsohappy:

DP has always a good read. Glad you are thriving.

Cheers

Scott

The only thing that puzzles me about the plan, which has the air of something quite old, is that I had always believed that Dover shed was where Dover Town Yard was in later years. However, looking at the plan, the site appears to already have long sorting/storage sidings on it, and no shed is to be seen anywhere.

Archived